Coastal Chaos

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I would be totally happy just winning out. If we do that I don’t care what happens in the coastal race.
This.

Worst way to end the year would be to get drilled by Georgia, then somehow sneak into the ACC Title game and get drilled by Clemson. That would make us 7-6 limping into a bowl game no one would be excited about.

Best way to end the year would be to win out, finish 8-4 (even if we don't win the Coastal) and go to a more interesting bowl game

Deleted member 2897

This.

Worst way to end the year would be to get drilled by Georgia, then somehow sneak into the ACC Title game and get drilled by Clemson. That would make us 7-6 limping into a bowl game no one would be excited about.

Best way to end the year would be to win out, finish 8-4 (even if we don't win the Coastal) and go to a more interesting bowl game

Well that's one way to avoid finding out how good you've become - just duck any possible high end games.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Pitt is only going to lose one more max. They are better than VT. UVa would have likely beat Pitt till their injuries on D last Saturday. Too bad for them, but it's football. Mildenhall is going to resurrect that program.
Disagree, I think VT can still beat Pitt. It all depends on if their offense shows up. VT should line up and just pound the ball, I think they can win that way.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We need Pitt to lose to Wake (in addition to VT and Miami) or UVA to lose to VT. We don't win a 3 or 4 way tiebreaker if Pitt and UVA are included. A 3 way tie between GT/ Pitt/VT or GT/VT/UVA goes to us. A 3-way tie with GT/Pitt/UVA, or a 4-way tie with GT/Pitt/VT/UVA goes to Pitt.
Not completely true, if Pitt beats WF but losses to Miami and VT and there is a 3 or 4 way tie then we are in because Pitt would be out automatically for having the worst in division record. At that point we would hold the head to head with UVA and VT. The only way Pitt beats us out for sure is if it’s head to head 2 way tie or if they lost to WF and Miami but beat VT. Any other way would not play I to the favor of Pitt. The more logical scenarios imo actually have GT winning out. Imo Pitt losing to Miami and VT are the two most reasonable games for them to lose, and if that happens they would then need VT to lose their last 2 games. There are actually more ways for Gt to get in than Pitt in a 3 or 4 way tie if I’m not mistaken.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Disagree, I think VT can still beat Pitt. It all depends on if their offense shows up. VT should line up and just pound the ball, I think they can win that way.
They could win that way. They could have given us a better game if they used their running backs more. But Beamer is gone and they don't play that way anymore.

Deleted member 2897

They could win that way. They could have given us a better game if they used their running backs more. But Beamer is gone and they don't play that way anymore.

Its apparently how you get all the high star recruits - throw the ball around like crazy and lose a lot.

Deleted member 2897

I made a spreadsheet of all the scenarios where GT wins the ACC Coastal (plus one scenario where the winner would be unknown at this point). Let me know if you think I made any mistakes.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...vZoTK_t400fYURtNSIkFzNCvRKkSPj3atu3X2/pubhtml

(The UNC and Duke games that are lightly shaded do not have meaningful outcomes)

Just took a gander at this. The one common denominator across all of these scenarios right now is:
1) Georgia Tech must beat Miami.
2) Virginia Tech must beat Pitt.

If either of those does NOT happen, we are officially out of winning the ACC.

However, if we beat Miami but Pitt wins too, then we still have a chance to finish tied for 1st in the Coastal - we just wouldn't win the tiebreakers.

But these are the 2 things to watch this weekend - if those 2 happen, you'd have 4 teams in the Coastal (including us) with 4 wins, LOL.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If we beat Virginia, that's their 3rd loss, so we're already ahead of them even if they win out otherwise. So #1 need is for Virginia Tech to beat Pittsburgh this weekend. Virginia Tech still does need 1 more loss though, so we need them to then either lose to Miami or Virginia...but not both, LOL.

Well I guess technically the #1 need is for us to win out.
Most reasonable scenario for me is for VT and Miami to beat Pitt, although them losing to WF would be great (don’t see them losing all 3, but I do think all 3 teams are good enough to beat them) and then I think Miami beats VT and VT beats UVA. This would give us a 3 way tie that we win or even have VT beat Miami and UVA beat VT which would gives us a 4 way tie and we still win that.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Absolutely.

But with 13 minutes gone in the game, Pitt only up 7-0, and we're facing 4th and 7 from our own 26 to fake a punt. I mean jeez. Sure, our Defense could have stopped them from scoring or any number of other dozens of plays throughout the game (like our fumble or interception). Instead of Pitt having 1st and 10 from their own 30 they had 1st and 10 from our own 26. That's just devastating. I like CPJs gambling, but unless it was like 4th and 1 from our own 26, and even if that, at that point of the game it was just unnecessary.

And yet, if executed properly that play is sure to get a first down at minimum. Coaches had identified a weakness in other team and it was open to be exploited. If it succeeds CPJ is an evil genius. But it wasn’t executed properly so goes down as a coaching fail.

I didn’t like the call at the time but in hindsight I’m fine with it. Next time I just want the coaches to make sure those trick plays are repped enough to make certain they are executed properly.

Deleted member 2897

And yet, if executed properly that play is sure to get a first down at minimum. Coaches had identified a weakness in other team and it was open to be exploited. If it succeeds CPJ is an evil genius. But it wasn’t executed properly so goes down as a coaching fail.

I didn’t like the call at the time but in hindsight I’m fine with it. Next time I just want the coaches to make sure those trick plays are repped enough to make certain they are executed properly.

Having watched the replay, the hole was there, but so were linebacker types flowing into it. So I can't tell myself a DE even if he had hit the hole properly would have been able to make the 5 yards back to the line of scrimmage plus another 7 yards. Not sure why you wouldn't put someone like BJS there, who has a lifelong history of running. I just don't see the risk reward either honestly. I mean, it wasn't against Clemson where you can't win by punting, and its the first quarter. Oh well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This.

Worst way to end would be to lose out. Really mad at you for even making me think this way :)

crut

Helluva Engineer
Most reasonable scenario for me is for VT and Miami to beat Pitt, although them losing to WF would be great (don’t see them losing all 3, but I do think all 3 teams are good enough to beat them) and then I think Miami beats VT and VT beats UVA. This would give us a 3 way tie that we win or even have VT beat Miami and UVA beat VT which would gives us a 4 way tie and we still win that.

We don't necessarily win that scenario you laid out. It would go to Sports Source Analytics team score.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Nuts......

I bet you were never a member of the 101st...
I like your use of history in your reply! When the German officers who delivered the demand for surrender read the reply, they didn’t know if it was positive or negative. One of the American officers said it meant for them to tell their commanders to “take a flying s@#t”. The translator changed it to the German equivalent of “you can go to hell”. Sort of similar to THWG.

I don’t think CPJ would agree with JorgeJonas.

Deleted member 2897

We don't necessarily win that scenario you laid out. It would go to Sports Source Analytics team score.

I'm sure everyone would be really thrilled with that.

It would be arbitrary (but what wouldn't be at that point), but why not do a live ESPN show with a 3-4 way tournament of best 3 out of 5 Rocks, Paper, Scissors or something like that. Or a coin flip round robin best 3 of 5. Might as well make some money and attention off it. Put the team captains on TV. Much better than just an email that said X team has the highest SSA score. That just sounds crappy to me.

Or use APR or something.