Coaching changes?

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought I'd put this in here since its the best place for it, but I was wondering if anyone else had been paying attention to the mass of coaching shifts at UGA. I know they picked up Chaney for OC and Pittman for OL (I honestly don't know how good Chaney is since people reference Drew Brees at Purdue but he was the OL/TE coach during that time, but I believe Pittman is good).

More recently about half of there staff is leaving including Mclendon to South Carolina (which I think is huge considering how good of a recruiter he is and how long he's been at UGA), Thomas Brown to Miami with Richt (RB coach who coached up Melvin Gordon and Chubb plus strong recruiter), and Todd Hartley (director of player personnel). Some of the other coaches I think are also leaving for various jobs, but just wanted to know people's thoughts on the coaching shifts.

I think UGA is going to miss a lot of these coaches, and I don't think Smart is going to be able to make homerun hire after homerun hire in the short time he'll have after Bama's playoff run after a lot of people will have signed contracts.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Uga is a factory plain and simple. They attract knuckleheaded pure athletes not interested in education and boy there's a ton of 'em. I'm not expecting any drop off from those guys.
I agree unfortunately, but we can hope. Bama had bad years before Saban even though a lot of it had to do with NCAA penalties, but Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, and to a degree recently USC, have all had struggles, so I think UGA could have the same issues, but it isn't very likely.

Uga is a factory plain and simple. They attract knuckleheaded pure athletes not interested in education and boy there's a ton of 'em. I'm not expecting any drop off from those guys.
Ray Gooooof couldn't get it done, so we do have a chance to gain significant on those arse sniffers over the next couple of years.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Back to Tech ... some chatter on the Georgia Southern board that their new coach talked to Cook about being the new OC. Doesn't look like it's going to happen, tho, if true.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Back to Tech ... some chatter on the Georgia Southern board that their new coach talked to Cook about being the new OC. Doesn't look like it's going to happen, tho, if true.
You know, I have always had that niggling little feeling that with the exception of a wonderful 2014, GT football was never quite the same after Jeff Monken left for GSU. And with the exception of 2014, I've had that same feeling that Cook never quite made GT better. Kind of weird I know.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
That opens up a single position on the staff for a special teams coordinator and co-offensive line coach. Wonder which direction Johnson's gonna go. The coach who does both well is rare.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This is not entirely surprising. Our special teams performance this year was god awful in just about every aspect (aside from blocking field goals and returning them for game winning touchdowns).

Punting, punt return, kickoffs, kickoff returns...all bad. FG and FG block were OK, but I don't think the coach has less of an impact on those sets.

Can't exactly blame Ray for Rodwell's punts though...that's gotta get better as well.