Coaching changes?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In terms of numbers at DT, we're fine.

Returning: Pat Gamble, Francis Kallon, Kyle Cerge-Henderson
Redshirted: Scott Morgan, Brentavious Glanton

There was also some talk of Trent Sellers eventually moving to the DL. 5 legit DT bodies possibly 6 guys for 2 spots is good for us.
Numbers at DT will be fine...ability to play at the level we need is TBD.

We are trying to flip university of texas dr commit.
We just got a commit who flipped from western Kentucky.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree. And 63 in ypp on O is mediocre at best. Atrocious + mediocre = 2-9

Absolutely. We were a bad team, both offense and defense in 2015.

Using cfbstats.com data in games vs Pwr 5 or BCS AQ, here's how we've been ranked in yards/play since 2008:

Year ..... Off ... Def
2008 ... 18 ...... 32
2009 ... 16 ...... 89
2010 ... 27 ...... 82
2011 .... 13 ...... 58
2012 ... 22 ...... 55
2013 ... 31 ...... 65
2014 ... 8 ........ 81
2015 ... 64 ...... 80

I still like my points/drive rankings better, but there you go.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. We were a bad team, both offense and defense in 2015.

Using cfbstats.com data in games vs Pwr 5 or BCS AQ, here's how we've been ranked in yards/play since 2008:

Year ..... Off ... Def
2008 ... 18 ...... 32
2009 ... 16 ...... 89
2010 ... 27 ...... 82
2011 .... 13 ...... 58
2012 ... 22 ...... 55
2013 ... 31 ...... 65
2014 ... 8 ........ 81
2015 ... 64 ...... 80

I still like my points/drive rankings better, but there you go.

I just looked at red zone scoring percentage rankings for 2015. 88 on O and 95 on D. 88 and 95 =2-9.

Also indicates poor line play on both sides of the ball.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One of the reasons I was pleased that Coach was hired was that I didn't think we could sustain the kind of D results we had under Tenuta, given the new NCAA strictures about base admission standards and "progress towards a degree", without a major uprising from the faculty and administration (not to mention the Gen'al Assem'ly). I figured that we'd be spending so much time on the field on O that the D wouldn't have as hard a job and that the, especially, DL talent we could recruit would do.

Well, that turned out to be right and wrong. The O has worked as predicted until this year, but we haven't been able to overcome our D talent problems as yet. I think we are on the right track here, however, with a mixture of experience and young talent coming back that should be quite able to handle the burdens next year with all our O troops back. We'll see about that, but, right now, I don't see anything to get too discouraged about on the D side.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Our provost (Bras) told me that if Stanford could field a good team, we didn't need to change anything.

Again, I think that the administration will do whatever they can to support football until it may marginally affect GT's academic reputation.
Were you at that gathering? I wasn't but I recall reading about it on one of these forums and that "quote" hasn't left me since, IIRC.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
You see that's where the problem is. His pride is what's keeping him from being a great coach. As long as he continues as it is now, the best he can be is a good coach.

The primary thing that is keeping him from being a better coach is recruiting. His record in 08-09 vs. his record since shows that.

He does not have a personality that resonates with 18 year olds. Further, the staff members he brought from Navy are not good recruiters. The three best recruiters are Roof, McCollum and Pelton, none of who were at Navy. Recruiting at Navy and recruiting for a Power 5 school in SEC country are two different things.

To get back to the theme of this thread, at least two of the Navy guys need to be replaced with proven recruiters. If I were AD, I'd be having a conversation with him about that. Do we have an AD?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The primary thing that is keeping him from being a better coach is recruiting. His record in 08-09 vs. his record since shows that.

He does not have a personality that resonates with 18 year olds. Further, the staff members he brought from Navy are not good recruiters. The three best recruiters are Roof, McCollum and Pelton, none of who were at Navy. Recruiting at Navy and recruiting for a Power 5 school in SEC country are two different things.

To get back to the theme of this thread, at least two of the Navy guys need to be replaced with proven recruiters. If I were AD, I'd be having a conversation with him about that. Do we have an AD?
I disagree. I think CPJ and the Navy coaches resonate perfectly with kids who fit the Tech mold: high character kids with an interest in academics. No, he's not a cheerleader like Dabo, but I'm not convinced that would work here, anyway.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A eunuch would look like a move up?
If I remember, Johnson himself tells the story of being named HC at GSU to replace Erk Russell, who I think was the AD. Russell attended a practice in which Johnson was going from position to position and reamed him out. Said he was hired because of his offensive skills, so get back over there. Been there ever since, and I'm not complaining.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. I think CPJ and the Navy coaches resonate perfectly with kids who fit the Tech mold: high character kids with an interest in academics. No, he's not a cheerleader like Dabo, but I'm not convinced that would work here, anyway.
As a board we vacillate between the need for better coaches and the need for better recruits. We are getting good recruits and maybe the objection should not be to the "Navy guys" not recruiting, but a look at each position coach individually and judge coaching before recruiting. Does us little good to attract a high 3-star and coach him down. I can't. Johnson should be able to. But this post is correct: GT and the service academies attract similar recruits, and Dabos' energy level and verve wouldn't work well with GT. It would also would block any 'Bama-Dabo marriage should Saban leave. They could never bring themselves to believe that underneath all that energy there is a very sound football coach. Who, coincidentally, can recruit the lights out. The ACC has to step up before Clempson does an FSU on it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
+1

Also - he didn't seem to have recruiting issues at Southern.

False comparison.
Not many would want a cheerleader.

Defense types is a lot more emotional than the oline types .

We play pretty risk averse = stay on schedule, no penalties, no turn overs , let them make no big gains, limited blitz.

Would say from sitting behind bench coach does congratulate after good plays and team gets pretty up and gets plenty emotional on good plays.
Just not enough good plays.

I love watching coach visit with field security and regular folks before the pre game interview. He is casual and cutting up with regular folks not boosters.

Kids love genuine.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You see that's where the problem is. His pride is what's keeping him from being a great coach. As long as he continues as it is now, the best he can be is a good coach.
Well, in point of fact he is by any measure an excellent OC if you choose to call him that. And has been in at least three different systems, positions and scenarios. If he is proud of that, he well should be because he can do and call some neat stuff. I thought he had a very clever game plan against Georgia until the implosion started.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Our offense is too complex and highly dependent on practice reps to allow just any AB/BB/QB to play. Based on 2008 and this year, we apparently can only use experienced players. How to get them experience if they aren't played (especially QB) is a problem ......

Assume Byerly is the backup next year (and JT starts). Where does that leave us for the next year or two?

Concerning Roof, I still hope he is our next HC. He has passion and the D has played it's butt off this season compared to the injuries / talent. Just an opinion.
Agree completely on--Off is too complex...etc Right now we are in deep s--- with no sure QB for '17.Anybody hear more on Ratliffe?