Coaching changes?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That opens up a single position on the staff for a special teams coordinator and co-offensive line coach. Wonder which direction Johnson's gonna go. The coach who does both well is rare.
Betting Johnson is a sucker's bet, but my money is on Johnson taking special teams back and getting another O line coach. Might not be a better motivator for special teams than the coach telling 'em they'll never see their loved ones again if they fail.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
This is not entirely surprising. Our special teams performance this year was god awful in just about every aspect (aside from blocking field goals and returning them for game winning touchdowns).

Punting, punt return, kickoffs, kickoff returns...all bad. FG and FG block were OK, but I don't think the coach has less of an impact on those sets.

Can't exactly blame Ray for Rodwell's punts though...that's gotta get better as well.

Can't say god awful when the best play all year was by Special teams.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Betting Johnson is a sucker's bet, but my money is on Johnson taking special teams back and getting another O line coach. Might not be a better motivator for special teams than the coach telling 'em they'll never see their loved ones again if they fail.

From Kelly Quinlan's Tweet:

#GATech special teams coach Ray Rychleski is out and the Jackets will hire a second OL coach per my sources.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

#GATech special teams coach Ray Rychleski is out and the Jackets will hire a second OL coach per my sources.

Figures. We basically had 2 OL coaches until Spencer got fired. Kinda hope they bring him back.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
From November :cool:
  • Coach Ray out; Sewak stays; CPJ hires 2nd OL coach. Speed questionable.
Seems a lot of focus is on last year's special teams play and rightly so. But don't forget recruiting responsibilities. From what I understood a while back, the potential for this move had as much to do with recruiting as anything else.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Any way we can hire a 2nd OL coach and also bring in Frank Beamer (who has a house down the road at Lake Oconee) as a "consultant" to the GTAA and let him handle special teams?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Except for the source -- Mr. Quinlan is very often wrong -- it makes sense. If the O line was the problem, throw weight at it.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Except for the source -- Mr. Quinlan is very often wrong -- it makes sense. If the O line was the problem, throw weight at it.
Yes, it's almost as if Sewak has pictures of Johnson that PJ doesn't want made public...or something like that.

The O-line has problems...acknowledged. You do have an O-line coach and the fix is to hire another O-line coach?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

since the D was a problem, lets hire another DC too ;)

Or perhaps, the coaches there, just aren't any good. And we aren't fixing that, just dancing around it (referring to sewak).

what about bringing BJ Marie back....he was awesome recruiter good LB coach too IMO

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
So does anyone have a clue as to who CPJ has on his radar for the oline coaching poison? And who are some names you guys would like to see us hire for the oline?

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Roof has never had a top 45 D as a DC in his life other than one year at penn state which was a top 20 d the year before too. This is a simple fact. Let me say. That is not good in nearly a decade of being a dc

Also we never cover flat routes Our scheme stinks.

Paul needs to cure execution issues on the ol

Just to respond to the Roof thing. Defensive Scoring rank by season as DC:

GT '99: 93
GT '00: 21 http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2000/Internet/ranking_summary/2000000000255.HTML
GT '01: 37
Duke '02: 83 (114th the prior year)
Duke '03: 76
Minnesota '08: 61 (109th the prior year)
Auburn '09: 79 (14th prior year)
Auburn '10: 53
Auburn '11: 78
Penn State '12: 16
GT '13: 29
GT '14: 52
GT '15: 51

Sometimes you're like Trump - if you say it loud enough it must be true. But he's actually done it 4 times, three of those at Tech, and one of those in 2013. He also made Duke and Minnesota alot better. But he made Auburn worse. And 16th at PSU was pretty amazing.

He's not the best, but he certainly is better than you make him out to be.