Coaching changes?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
In terms of numbers at DT, we're fine.

Returning: Pat Gamble, Francis Kallon, Kyle Cerge-Henderson
Redshirted: Scott Morgan, Brentavious Glanton

There was also some talk of Trent Sellers eventually moving to the DL. 5 legit DT bodies possibly 6 guys for 2 spots is good for us.
Numbers at DT will be fine...ability to play at the level we need is TBD.

Tech,
Gotta disagree,esp on '17--Kallon and Gamble will be gone after next yr--then we will have NO srs and the one Jr (has not even redshirted.)We will be HURTING badly if anybody is hurt/left etc. which is the norm.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tech,
Gotta disagree,esp on '17--Kallon and Gamble will be gone after next yr--then we will have NO srs and the one Jr (has not even redshirted.)We will be HURTING badly if anybody is hurt/left etc. which is the norm.

I was just talking about DTs available for next season in response to someone else.

Obviously, the more stud DTs in the pipeline the better!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
How is it that we, as primarily adults, can continue to perpetuate the myth that CPJ can't resonate with the kids, can't connect on the recruiting trail, can't inspire the players, yadda yadda yadda, when to my knowledge there aren't really ANY SAs who have played for him that back up any of that?
Exactly.

Well I guess here's an example of a kid not connecting with coach:

Tim Byerly:

"Finally, Coach Johnson. You have been a life coach to me ever since my very first snap in spring practice of 2012 (of which I fumbled). I would give anything to play one more season under you, but I feel more than prepared to enter the real world. My comfort and peace is in large part due to your ability in helping me realize what it means to be a selfless team player, regardless of what the capacity may be. I cannot wait to apply that mentality to the business world. I will never forget you pointing at me on goal line/short yardage situations and saying, "You're in. Heavy Right 28 Solid Rebel."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
How is it that we, as primarily adults, can continue to perpetuate the myth that CPJ can't resonate with the kids, can't connect on the recruiting trail, can't inspire the players, yadda yadda yadda, when to my knowledge there aren't really ANY SAs who have played for him that back up any of that?
Details, details, details.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Wish I could "Like" this a million times.

I guess those with an agenda figure if he is a big meanie to Chuck and Chernoff and he scoffs at the same dumb questions at every call-in show, he must just be a big meanie to everyone he comes in contact with.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Wish I could "Like" this a million times.

I guess those with an agenda figure if he is a big meanie to Chuck and Chernoff and he scoffs at the same dumb questions at every call-in show, he must just be a big meanie to everyone he comes in contact with.
It's this plus more of a selection bias. When you only select data points that support a predetermined conclusion while ignoring other valid data collected it leaves you with a very skewed version of the truth.

Unfortunately that is that way most people seem to operate in society including football fandom.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I think Roof is slowly increasing the talent level on D, which is the most important thing to me because that has been the biggest problem for us under CPJ.

Whether it's been lack of recruiting, lack of development by positional coaches, etc I don't know why we had better athletes under Gailey/Tenuta. But for some of those thinking that Tenuta would have just kept going like he did under Gailey with the same exact players we've had under Johnson, you are wrong.

Look at Dave Wommack--he had probably the worst defense that I can remember at GT in quite some time. Now, his Ole Miss defense is pretty impressive. We need talent.
Womack's defense actually hasn't been as good as it should be with the talent that they've had and the crap offenses in the SEC.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Exactly.

Well I guess here's an example of a kid not connecting with coach:

Tim Byerly:

"Finally, Coach Johnson. You have been a life coach to me ever since my very first snap in spring practice of 2012 (of which I fumbled). I would give anything to play one more season under you, but I feel more than prepared to enter the real world. My comfort and peace is in large part due to your ability in helping me realize what it means to be a selfless team player, regardless of what the capacity may be. I cannot wait to apply that mentality to the business world. I will never forget you pointing at me on goal line/short yardage situations and saying, "You're in. Heavy Right 28 Solid Rebel."
Had the same thought while reading the letter. This is why I feel good about what GT as an Institute of Higher Learning is committed. It's this type of student we attract, and faculty we hire, that makes the place continue to be special. Go Jackets!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You see that's where the problem is. His pride is what's keeping him from being a great coach. As long as he continues as it is now, the best he can be is a good coach.

The mutts thought they'd win a natty if Richt would stop calling plays and turn it over to an OC...so they dictated that in his contract...and they then moved further away from their super desired next natty.

Mutts were wrong and it hurt em. I think that same argument for CPJ is just as big if not a bigger loser.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
re Sewak...how many 4 star recruits has he coached? None. How many played at 4-5 star ability by the end of their careers? Uzzi and Shaq come to mind. Bedford was what? A 2 star at most? Played way above that level IMO. Just a few examples off the top of my head admittedly.

I think the Oline in general has performed way over their talent level since 08. Certainly not this last year but that was an outlier IMO? Does any of this mean Sewak is a good line coach? I have no idea. I do believe his haters are just as clueless though.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
re Sewak...how many 4 star recruits has he coached? None. How many played at 4-5 star ability by the end of their careers? Uzzi and Shaq come to mind. Bedford was what? A 2 star at most? Played way above that level IMO. Just a few examples off the top of my head admittedly.

I think the Oline in general has performed way over their talent level since 08. Certainly not this last year but that was an outlier IMO? Does any of this mean Sewak is a good line coach? I have no idea. I do believe his haters are just as clueless though.
Sewak had help from Spencer through 2011, and had Rychleski the last two years. I'm not sure how much Sewak was involved with these guys and how much it was another coach.