Coaching changes?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
But we don't and that's the point. It's the job of the coach to figure out how to do the best with what we do have in the short term and address those deficiencies in the long term.

It's also the coach's job to get the guys they need for their scheme. Can't say the chef did a bad job on a meal when the chef is in charge of the ingredients for the meal. Can't get credit for digging your own hole and trying to climb out of it at the same time. It's true that Roof had no control over the roster his first year, but over time they become "his players" so you would think the defense gets better if more of the defensive roster is cycling in his guys playing his scheme. On the other hand, a good coach makes hay with what he has...ala CPJ in 2008 and 2009.

Roof doesn't need to recruit a defense full of 4/5 star guys...but he should be able to recruit 2-3 impact guys every year that can make an immediate impact within his scheme. More guys like Brant Mitchell, AJ Gray. Should be none of this "he needs to learn how it works at GT"...was a player here, coached here previously, and has recruited GA most of his career.

We'll see next year. Will be his 4th year here, and the majority of the defensive roster will be guys he recruited to his scheme.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's also the coach's job to get the guys they need for their scheme. Can't say the chef did a bad job on a meal when the chef is in charge of the ingredients for the meal. Can't get credit for digging your own hole and trying to climb out of it at the same time. It's true that Roof had no control over the roster his first year, but over time they become "his players" so you would think the defense gets better if more of the defensive roster is cycling in his guys playing his scheme. On the other hand, a good coach makes hay with what he has...ala CPJ in 2008 and 2009.

Roof doesn't need to recruit a defense full of 4/5 star guys...but he should be able to recruit 2-3 impact guys every year that can make an immediate impact within his scheme. More guys like Brant Mitchell, AJ Gray. Should be none of this "he needs to learn how it works at GT"...was a player here, coached here previously, and has recruited GA most of his career.

We'll see next year. Will be his 4th year here, and the majority of the defensive roster will be guys he recruited to his scheme.
Senior class won't be his and that's the class that matters most, especially on the DL. Heck, the Jr class ain't even his. I agree he needs to coach 'em all up, no matter who recruited them.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
How do you know this? Every time I read a comment from a recruit they talk about how much they like CPJ. Since this is simply anecdotal information, what are the facts behind the scene that I am not seeing?
I snickered when I read the post you were reacting to. Like the 18 year olds are drawn to Nick Saban's personality? ;) I'm telling you, CPJ can be one seriously funny dude. But, we all know he's not likely to be with a microphone stuck in his face. That's old news.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
pauljohnson.jpg

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
How do you know this? Every time I read a comment from a recruit they talk about how much they like CPJ. Since this is simply anecdotal information, what are the facts behind the scene that I am not seeing?
The same "facts" once offered by a south Georgia store, running for mayor in a town of fewer than 300, when asked what was the issue in the race: "There ain't no issue. The issue is that Phil has the job and I want it."

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
For someone less familiar, what position was Hurt in? Was he the one that we felt made a quick drastic improvement in recruiting this past year?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
For someone less familiar, what position was Hurt in? Was he the one that we felt made a quick drastic improvement in recruiting this past year?
Lets say cpj is not your job description and department kind of guy . Our budget and the extreme change of the teams needs during year makes for needing WELL rounded and team players like pete. Pete was a head coach in div 2, etc.
IMO
As to recruiting improvement= 50percent Waggoner addition, 25 percent cpj reminding coaches this is vital part of their job, and 25 percent gt getting to play CLEMSON, nd, fsu in one year. Waggoner is ga coach who wrote cpj letter every week saying what he would do nd asking for job. Unlike many of our gt suppoters, the top recruits dont want to play mercer etc. They want the best. We need 2 more Waggoner s - 1 in fla and 1 roving major metros texas la.
DR J others may have more insite.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

Watch a GT game and see how he interacts with the players. Watch a Clemson game and watch how Dabo interacts with his players. Are you suggesting Johnson recruits as well as Dabo?

Notice how Nick Saban smiles and hams it up anytime he is in the spotlight. Watch how cranky Johnson is many times when he is in the spotlight. Are you suggesting Johnson recruits as well as Saban? Saban is full of crap, but that's what selling is all about.

Are you suggesting Johnson is a completely different personality with recruits than he is during games, or when he is being interviewed? You suggest that he is--show me some facts, or even an indication that he has a different personality that appeals to kids that are Power 5 level talents. His personality probably worked for kids interested in Navy--but this ain't Navy.

Are you suggesting he has done a great, or even good, job of recruiting? If you are, then why does he have the worst FBS win percentage at GT since Lewis, which would be much worse if not for the talent Gailey left behind that gave him a 17-7 record his first two years. Explain the poor performance if you believe it is something other than his (many) recruiting failures.

We have 12 commits this year. According to one site, Roof is responsible for 5 of them. The 9 other coaches have 7 commits among them. At some schools, coordinators do minimal recruiting. At GT, our 1 coordinator seems to be the only real recruiter. And people on this board want to get rid of Roof! Unbelievable.

Johnson's buddies who came from Navy don't recruit, but they don't have to. Their jobs are secure as long as Johnson is the HC. The absence of staff turnover among those people proves that.

Whether or not Johnson resonates with 18 year olds or not (which was only one comment among many in that post, and which you took out of context of the entire post), he does not put the effort into recruiting that is required for a Power 5 school that wants to be competitive year in-year out.

The number of people on this board who love this coach, who has produced poor results, is shocking. We have become Wake Forest.