Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Quite possibly the biggest coaching migration college basketball has seen will occur this offseason since...the history of basketball?

Fogler Consulting is gonna be BUSY this year...

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IT'S LIT!

Memphis fans are going to be pissed if this is true. There is a long thread on the Memphis board about dumping Tubby and hiring Penny. of course first you have to find someone to pay the 9-10MM you would owe Tubby if you fire him right now.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Quite possibly the biggest coaching migration college basketball has seen will occur this offseason since...the history of basketball?

Fogler Consulting is gonna be BUSY this year...

It's gon' be... lit as the kids like @dtm1997 say.

Fogler's probably shuffling through his list of middling coaches as we speak.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-sean-miller-actually-end-up-keeping-his-job/

On a semi-related note, reading through that piece about Sean Miller's potential BSPN lawsuit ... he's got a compelling argument. Sounds like ol' Mark Slackback is changing his story ... oh, I heard ... oh, somebody told me ... oh, uh uh ...

Not saying Miller's innocent, I'm saying BSPN's story may be faulty.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not sure the market is going to be that large this offseason.
I could see alot of AD's hanging onto their coach until the evidence the FBI has filters to the NCAA. After that I could see alot of movement.
AD's may be more likely to stick with the 'devil you know' than the 'devil you don't know'.

Last thing you want to do is hire a coach and then a yr from now have them pop up on the NCAA's radar.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not sure the market is going to be that large this offseason.
I could see alot of AD's hanging onto their coach until the evidence the FBI has filters to the NCAA. After that I could see alot of movement.
AD's may be more likely to stick with the 'devil you know' than the 'devil you don't know'.

Last thing you want to do is hire a coach and then a yr from now have them pop up on the NCAA's radar.

Also, the rules are in play to change, so crimes of the past may no longer be crimes.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Totally rando but am I the only one kinda surprised, but kinda not surprised, by how much Ollie has struggled at UConn.

Kinda weird how, now that cheatin' Calhoun is gone, their recruiting as dried up substantially. Weird (but not).

Ollie shoulda jumped at the OKC job while his name was hot.

On another note, it always warms my cockles to see Richmond falling on hard times after giving Mooney his lifetime contract. I'd be pissed if I was them. He's done next to nothing since getting that deal.
Ollie seems very similar to the Pastner situation at Memphis. I think he's a good coach.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer

From another article on the firing:
"Missouri State started the season with a 15-5 record and traveled to Drake for a game which would have given the Bears first place in the conference at the time.

The Bears lost and two days later would undergo a whole-body cryotherapy treatment which resulted in season-ending foot blister injuries to Reggie Scurry and Abdul Fofana."

wth

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think Sean Miller is going anywhere, especially now after THIS season. I think that rumor starts and ends with wishful thinking by the 7 remaining Pitt fans. $10MM buyout and then pay for Miller? That’s a lot of dough.

Howland to Pitt is actually interesting and I could see it but it would still tie up, what? $30MM? $10MM for the buyout and a 6yr deal for $3.2MM per or so.

If Stallings goes I think Pitt has to go young and up and coming.

If I were to put a list together on the fly my first choice would probably be Joe Dooley followed by Matt McCall and Brandin Knight

Just me spitballin...

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
PITT has really screwed themselves. Being from Pittsburgh, I hate it, but damn if they didn't practically run Jamie Dixon out of town and so they seem to deserve what they are getting. I am liking Brandon Knight to Pitt, with the alma mater discount. That is about the only way they can afford to fire Stallings and they can't really afford to keep Stallings - hes horrific. Maybe Ben Howland will take a consulting role for B. Knight?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'd be fine with UGA ending up with Matta 'cause I know he won't be there for long. #AthensChaos

From what I understand and from what was reported about him at OhioSt, dude's not healthy enough to coach anymore. Surely that hasn't changed with him being a year or two older. I'm sure he never lost the desire and I'm sure sitting out has given him the illusion that he can get back to it. However, if he starts the grind again, he can't last.