Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i think the previous AD was thinking I am losing Jamie Dixon- I need to hire someone who has a 'name' and after Sean Miller turned me down Stallings seemed interested.

To the average fan that is going to seem like a good hire. A coach who has taken multiple teams to the NCAA from a power conference.
If you understood past that you understood why it was a poor decision - but for 90% of the fanbase at the time of hire it is going to seem like a good hire.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Pitt: Kevin, how about you take a couple million less and pack your bags today?
KS: Why?
Pitt: Well, we want to fire you, but if you settle for less we'll tell everyone you stepped down for personal reasons. Ya know, save face.
KS: Name one person who doesn't recognize that you plan to fire me.
Pitt: Well, I can't give you a name per se, but publicly we've had your ba.... er, um... remember when we went on record and gave you a vote of confid..... um, yea.... Touché... touché

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I may not like Stallings, but I don't blame him for making Pitt live up to the contract if they want to get rid of him.
That job is going to be a mess. A few of those FR have potential to be good players down the road, but if you reboot now how many will leave because they weren't recruited by the new coach. Next season could end up being as bad as this one.

Will be interesting who they can attract if they go through with the firing. Pitt isn't known for paying big to begin with and would be saddled with a $10MM debt. Also, firing a coach after 2 yrs (and knowing this year would be bad) isn't exactly going to make coaches jump at that job. They may want to consider giving it to someone like Brandon Knight. Whoever they hire is going to demand a huge buyout given they would have just canned someone after 2 yrs.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I may not like Stallings, but I don't blame him for making Pitt live up to the contract if they want to get rid of him.
That job is going to be a mess. A few of those FR have potential to be good players down the road, but if you reboot now how many will leave because they weren't recruited by the new coach. Next season could end up being as bad as this one.

Will be interesting who they can attract if they go through with the firing. Pitt isn't known for paying big to begin with and would be saddled with a $10MM debt. Also, firing a coach after 2 yrs (and knowing this year would be bad) isn't exactly going to make coaches jump at that job. They may want to consider giving it to someone like Brandon Knight. Whoever they hire is going to demand a huge buyout given they would have just canned someone after 2 yrs.

When Red says things here that I have said to other people or on the site I feel like I’m doing something correctly....

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The thought of Larry Brown going o memphis brings up 3 thoughts to me.
1. He never stays in one job very long.
2. The NCAA tends to follow him wherever he ends up
3. He's 77 years old.

The reason I mention Knight is that given what a rebuild job that is going to be - even bigger than GT potentially, having a beloved alum as the HC will likely make the fanbase more patient and tolerant - and that is something the HC is going to need there.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
it won't happen this year, but I think the hot seat it going to be on Danny Manning next year.
i don't know if he can survive not making the NCAA Tourney year. His big recruiting class will keep him there for next season.