Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's the interesting idea for me. Say both L'ville and AZ come open this spring. Right now it is likely 1-2 yrs before you will know what, if any, penalties those schools will take as part of this. Any other openings that occur because of the FBI situation are similar. Right now all this info resides with the FBI, and in some cases the defense attys. it is likely going to be at least a yr from now before the NCAA is likely to get their hands on any information. That means these schools will be trying to hire someone and not be able to tell them what it is going to be like in a yr or two. How many coaches are going to be willing to take that bet. It might almost be in their best interests to effectively hire a short term or interim coach. If you get big sanctions then at least you already have a coach there, if you get off light then you can mount a search in a yr or two.

Personally i wouldn't touch either of those jobs right now because I don't know what my situation is going to be in 1-2 yrs. Unless your thought is, i'll take the job and then if it goes bad i'll just jump to another school.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here's the interesting idea for me. Say both L'ville and AZ come open this spring. Right now it is likely 1-2 yrs before you will know what, if any, penalties those schools will take as part of this. Any other openings that occur because of the FBI situation are similar. Right now all this info resides with the FBI, and in some cases the defense attys. it is likely going to be at least a yr from now before the NCAA is likely to get their hands on any information. That means these schools will be trying to hire someone and not be able to tell them what it is going to be like in a yr or two. How many coaches are going to be willing to take that bet. It might almost be in their best interests to effectively hire a short term or interim coach. If you get big sanctions then at least you already have a coach there, if you get off light then you can mount a search in a yr or two.

Personally i wouldn't touch either of those jobs right now because I don't know what my situation is going to be in 1-2 yrs. Unless your thought is, i'll take the job and then if it goes bad i'll just jump to another school.
There is nothing preventing the NCAA from beginning its own investigation. Given what's hit the street in the past few days, there is a pretty decent chance AZ and UL could be in deep trouble after only a few interviews. It will be interesting to see if Ayton plays tonight. The school seems to have made a break with Miller already.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Your right Oriental, they could, but i don't think they will.
NCAA doesn't have any subpeona power. They can't make anybody talk to them. Anybody can refuse to talk to the NCAA and there is no punishment for doing so.
So my belief is that the NCAA will actually wait until it is allowed to see actual evidence from the FBI/US Atty before starting any investigations.

notice how quickly all the schools have cleared their players. The extent of the investigations by the compliance offices at most of these schools likely amounted to asking the SA's if they took money or had meals paid for and if they said no, then they cleared them.

You have to remember that the NCAA only exists to provide the schools with a veneer of cover that someone is watching over them and that the playing field is pretty level. The NCAA has very little power in actuality.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll add that it is amusing that AZ has to pay Miller $10.3 MM if they fire him with cause and $5.15MM if they fire him without cause.
That makes my decision very easy if i'm the administration and it gets to that point.
i fire him without cause and go my merry way. if asked about it i say, he won plenty, but due to the negative coverage of the University we've decided to go another direction. It would then require Miller's atty's to argue he did something wrong if they wanted to argue he was really fired with cause.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
NCAA will have access to documents that become public in court filings. However, they cannot act just on newspaper articles and need the data that may have been leaked to the press by attorneys or whomever. I don't know if they can take evidence from newspaper that have been leaked to them and given to the NCAA and act on it?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The articles in the paper won't be enough for them to do anything. They will need the actual documents and such. i don't see them getting their hands on those for some time yet.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I'll add that it is amusing that AZ has to pay Miller $10.3 MM if they fire him with cause and $5.15MM if they fire him without cause.
That makes my decision very easy if i'm the administration and it gets to that point.
i fire him without cause and go my merry way. if asked about it i say, he won plenty, but due to the negative coverage of the University we've decided to go another direction. It would then require Miller's atty's to argue he did something wrong if they wanted to argue he was really fired with cause.
Now that’s a funny predicament!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can't imagine Pasternak or Pastner on that list getting hired.

Pasternak because he is mentioned in the email by Dawkins. Pastner because of his current off the court issues.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I can't imagine Pasternak or Pastner on that list getting hired.

Pasternak because he is mentioned in the email by Dawkins. Pastner because of his current off the court issues.

Indeed. They'll have to go the squeaky-clean, plain-Jane, boring route.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So Brian Gregory.

Exactly the name I had in mind when I typed that. As it is though, with all the icky mess going on at MichSt, Gregs may be the Spartans' white-bread hire once Izzo 'retires' ahead of the #metoo reaper.

Other than being an alum, why would Pastner be interested? That's a deep dark hole with no obvious bottom.

IMHO, AZ is "home" for CPast. It's where he 'played' and where it all started for him. Much deeper than simply being an alum. JMHO

Just offering an answer. Considering what he's been dealing with this season, I doubt he'd be on their radar.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Exactly the name I had in mind when I typed that. As it is though, with all the icky mess going on at MichSt, Gregs may be the Spartans' white-bread hire once Izzo 'retires' ahead of the #metoo reaper.

IMHO, AZ is "home" for CPast. It's where he 'played' and where it all started for him. Much deeper than simply being an alum. JMHO

Just offering an answer. Considering what he's been dealing with this season, I doubt he'd be on their radar.
I thought Houston was his hometown.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So Brian Gregory.

What in the world are you two smoking?

Gregory has less of a chance at either of those jobs than I do.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I would be surpised if Pastner doesn't get an interview at least mainly because it seems most people have a conscious Bell is a nut job. Idk how many coaches will want a job that is hammered with sanctions and Arizona could do a lot worse than a guy who is an alumni and was able to take a team that was projected to not win a single game in the ACC and nearly went to the NCAA tournament in his first year. Bringing in an alum to get you through the sanction years doesn't sound bad.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I thought Houston was his hometown.

I meant 'home' figuratively.

What in the world are you two smoking?

Gregory has less of a chance at either of those jobs than I do.

No one expects Gregs to be up for the AZ job. We were suggesting a non-descript, controversy-free guy like Gregs.

And Gregs-to-MichSt isn't that far-fetched considering the mess they have on their hands.