Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It would be pretty low class of Miller to leave AZ right now. They have stood behind him during the Book Richardson stuff (someone who has been with Miller for a decade) and now through the wiretap whispers.

If there ends up being any real truth to the wiretap he is going to be in a world of hurt. He has AZ fans really behind him right now. If he were to leave it could get ugly.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Trading Jamie Dixon for Stallings has to be one of the :eek: :facepalm: :banghead: moves in college bball history. Of course, not that Pitt intended to do that, but that's the sum of what happened.

Sometimes a fan base needs to hit rock bottom in order to appreciate having nice things. As a GT fan, I'll never complain about getting knocked out of the second round of the NCAA tourney...but I do reserve the right to complain about getting knocked out of the first round by Southern University...ahem...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It would be pretty low class of Miller to leave AZ right now. They have stood behind him during the Book Richardson stuff (someone who has been with Miller for a decade) and now through the wiretap whispers.

If there ends up being any real truth to the wiretap he is going to be in a world of hurt. He has AZ fans really behind him right now. If he were to leave it could get ugly.

I don't disagree with what you're saying but I just wanted to pause for a moment to reflect on the fact that you used "class" and Sean Miller in the same sentence.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Is it a feta compli that this dude will follow Roy ...

I think he'll have a stop in between probably, but he seems ready for a bigger challenge.

On a semi-related note, King Rice could've missed his window. Monmouth having a mediocre season. Gotta strike while the iron's hot, folks.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Pitt job will be open in a coupla hours. Stallings out for $6.2 million. Good grief. Everyone wants him gone, but he still has some defenders in 'Burgh saying Artis and Young were "cancers "and were the main problem in year one - Dixon left cupboards bare, etc. :banghead:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'd like coaches to be honest. When someone asks if they're concerned about keeping their jobs, it would be funny if a coach said "Dude, have you seen my buyout? Go ahead and fire me, I'll take my multi million dollar buyout and worry zilch about getting fired while sipping drinks on my yacht in Key West..."

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Parrish: Memphis officials seriously considering Penny Hardaway to replace Tubby Smith
A source told CBS Sports one person Hardaway would likely target for a position on staff is Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown. Coincidentally, or perhaps not, Brown was on 92.9 FM ESPN in Memphis on Feb. 26 and spoke glowingly about Hardaway.
Four years ago under Josh Pastner, Memphis averaged an announced attendance of more than 16,000 for games at FedExForum. This season under Smith, that number has dipped to around 6,000 -- which is the lowest in nearly 50 years. And it's likely to lead to the Memphis Grizzlies paying the school zero percent of a possible $800,000 that the NBA franchise -- which operates FedExForum -- is required to pay when certain attendance marks are hit. Beyond that, season-ticket sales are significantly down, which means donations connected to season-ticket sales are also down.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Alot of rumors in Memphis they are going to part with Tubby Smith (and pay his $9.75MM buyout) and hire Penny Hardaway.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...bby-smith-memphis-coach-basketball/402074002/

This would be a very risky hire. I have no doubt he would recruit well in Memphis, but keep in mind his coaching background amounts to coaching a HS team in Memphis.
He has never worked as a coach at the college or NBA level.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Is Penny much of an X's and O's guy? I don't really know much about his coaching. I figured he'd be a hell of a recruiter and take the Andy Enfield approach of just let the kids ball.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another whisper i've heard is that Jonas Hayes could potentially be in the mix for the HC at Western Carolina (that is where he started college before transferring to UGA).

Penny would need really strong X and O asst imo. I assume that is why Brown is being mentioned.

FWIW, Larry Brown is 77 yrs old, how long would he stay on the bench. He never tends to stay anywhere too long to begin with. He also has gotten pretty much every college he has coached at in trouble with the NCAA.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Is Penny much of an X's and O's guy? I don't really know much about his coaching. I figured he'd be a hell of a recruiter and take the Andy Enfield approach of just let the kids ball.

Well, one of the things to consider is that he is already tied to 3 top players in the 2019 class I believe.

Anyways he would 100% be a recruiting focused hire, which given my experience in Memphis I think fits their culture a lot better than either Tubby or Pastner did. That being said. unless Penny has the Coach Cal ability to curtail egos and get real young teams to play well together I think memphis will become a school known to produce less with more under him.

However he does have a chance to do well there which is more than I gave Tubby.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Ya know, to just get it out of the way Stallings was never a good fit at Pitt and never should have been hired and the results have shown that.

On the other hand, there is a fine line between 0-18 and 7-11. Just two years ago BC was 0-18 in conference. Jerome Robinson was a freshman on that team. I have seen some people on twitter talking about how Pitt doesnt have any talent and that is just flat out not true. Parker Stewart is talented, he just made 71 triples and shot 39% as a freshman (43% in conference play). Marcus Carr has good long term potential I think he just can't make shots right now but he has the ability to get open. Shamiel Stevenson is a guard who was basically asked to play the four this year. JWF isn't really impressive, a high volume shooter without being a really high volume scorer, but over the last 6 games of the season he shot 20-50 from deep after shooting about 26% for most of the season so maybe he is better than he showed early on.

The Kingsby kid they have coming in next year (JUCO) looks like he might be a pretty decent player but he is a point guard. The real need is for Bryce Golden to be a player and Ryan Luther to get back. Pitt really isnt that far off from being competitive. Kevin Stallings is just really unlikeable and has been extremely mediocre throughout a long career. He isnt going to energize the fanbase.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have a friend who is an older, very level headed fan with nice season tickets at Vandy for years. He always said Stallings was a really good offensive XandO's coach who was just downright unlikable. He was quite OK with the actual record Stallings had at Vandy but more than ready for Stallings to hit the road just because of the way he came across to both players and fans. The turnover at Pitt is testament to how unlikeable he really is.

What I don't understand is that this was common knowledge and shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone at Pitt. And they had to know Cameron Johnson was immediately going to transfer again. I don't get what this AD saw and was trying to do with this hire.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I have a friend who is an older, very level headed fan with nice season tickets at Vandy for years. He always said Stallings was a really good offensive XandO's coach who was just downright unlikable. He was quite OK with the actual record Stallings had at Vandy but more than ready for Stallings to hit the road just because of the way he came across to both players and fans. The turnover at Pitt is testament to how unlikeable he really is.

What I don't understand is that this was common knowledge and shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone at Pitt. And they had to know Cameron Johnson was immediately going to transfer again. I don't get what this AD saw and was trying to do with this hire.

Well that AD is gone now so.....haha

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Kinda like when you hire a mediocre coach from the A-10 to coach an ACC team, and you have one foot out the door.

Not naming any names...*cough...Radakovich...cough*....