Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’m not to worried about UGA hiring anyone that’s considered a home run. I think the school is so wrapped up in football that hoops isn’t a priority.

Agreed. All the things that make that job a potential juggernaut have existed for the last several decades yet they've produced nothing of substance (at least consistently) for the last several decades.

Sure they've beaten us more than we like but, let's be honest, if beating us is their standard for success ... uh, have fun with that considering we've been down for so long.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m not to worried about UGA hiring anyone that’s considered a home run. I think the school is so wrapped up in football that hoops isn’t a priority.

Unless certain coaches end up elsewhere, they may stumble in to hiring a home run. I know he was on Pearl's staff, but I think they'd be crazy to not try & snap up Steve Forbes from ETSU.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Miles Bridges name has been thrown into the FBI mix. I don’t know how much longer MSU is going to deal with? The sexual assault allegations that have been covered up and now an FBI probe. I think Izzo my “retire” soon

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Unless certain coaches end up elsewhere, they may stumble in to hiring a home run. I know he was on Pearl's staff, but I think they'd be crazy to not try & snap up Steve Forbes from ETSU.

Not that it matters but he just signed an extension the other day.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Miles Bridges name has been thrown into the FBI mix. I don’t know how much longer MSU is going to deal with? The sexual assault allegations that have been covered up and now an FBI probe. I think Izzo my “retire” soon

I haven't read through all the lists of players and payments in the Yahoo article, but from what I've seen so far it's classic Forde reporting. The biggest payments are to Bam Adebayo and Dennis Smith. Both were big NCSU targets and Bam went to Kentucky. (Forde will never ever write anything negative about Kentucky)

The mention of Bridges and Carter is click bait to get people to read. Carter's mom met with the agent in 2016 (not a violation) and it looks like the agent picked up the check ($106.56) If true, Carter's family has to donate $50 to a charity today and it is a non-issue according to NCAA bylaws. I believe same is true about Bridges, but I didn't see his name on the part I reviewed.

Forde also mentions Sexton, but I haven't seen the specifics. Could just be throwing out a big name to get eyeballs, but knowing the other stuff that came out about Sexton in Fall, I'm assuming this is just more evidence that Little Bull took lots of money from lots of people

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is he signed, or just "committed"?
Committed. He wants to go to UGA because he wants to go to UGA. An actual rare case of committing to the school, not the coach.

If Coach Hayes gets removed, maybe that changes, but I'd be surprised if that happened.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Must be a girl there he’s chasing. Lol
Certainly possible. That said, you've seen the same source as I've read behind a paywall indicate Hagans is a near lock to UGA even with a full coaching turnover.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
After digesting the "list" and UNC,Duke fingerprints in the cookie jar the first thing that came to mind was fallout on the recruiting trail,with committed players on teams implicated in the report.I think we score a player in 2018 and pick up traction with a few for 2019.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After digesting the "list" and UNC,Duke fingerprints in the cookie jar the first thing that came to mind was fallout on the recruiting trail,with committed players on teams implicated in the report.I think we score a player in 2018 and pick up traction with a few for 2019.

I don't think there will be any fallout on the recruiting trail. NCAA won't get their hands on this info for at least 12-18 months and then it will take them another 12-18 months to do anything with it. So we are talking 2-3 yrs before there is any action from the NCAA.

Then, given how pervasive it all is, the rules will simply be changed. You can already see that coming. Both Andy Staples and Gary Parrish have already written articles today that basically say it should all be made legal and allow whatever is already occurring to occur in the open, no matter the amount or who it is with. Which simply means those schools with the most money and the biggest companies behind them will get the wins (though that is how it is already basically structured).

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I think John Calipari survives a down season by UK but he will be on a hotseat during the 2018-2019 season.
I live in Big Blue Nation and not many people are grumbling about Coach Cal being on the hotseat. They just want a cohesive team, even tho most forget, its a team of 17-18 year old kids.. They'll be fine

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Sean Miller's contract is basically guaranteed even if he's fired with cause. Dump almost certain NCAA sanctions and I do not see AZ crawling out of that cesspool for quite a while. And, I cannot imagine a top coach heading there anytime soon.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...dre-ayton-signing-according-fbi-investigation

Depends on the sanctions

You know what I wanna know about? I wanna know if a certain shooter in the 2018 class’s name is going to show up. The way that kid changed his mind every 18 seconds.....it makes you wonder