Coaches on the Hot Seat

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
He was very not Hewitt. That was basically the extent of the logic behind the hire.
This is essentially my (vague) recollection as well.

CBG is also a helluva good guy, clean, personable, respectful, and disciplined, vs. Hewitt's vaguely rogue, swag image.

I have a request. Can we please get someone with ACC-caliber potential? Someone from a major conference who's ready to step up to the ACC? A current ACC assistant in a major program?

I'm scared of another mid-major successful coach who's ready for a major conference HC gig, but not ready for an ACC HC gig.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
John Goodman released his Coaches on the Hot Seat commentary today, so thought I'd post it. I think it's worth having a thread dedicated to discussing who's in trouble elsewhere, creating competition for candidates, and who the forum is viewing as potential candidates for the GT job in what's looking like the likely event of a regime change.

Outside of posting press coverage as to why BG is likely to go, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not turn this in to an opportunity to ramble on with criticisms of him. The goal here is to look towards the future and what we'd like to see, not keep commiserating about the past & present.

With that, here's Goodman's commentary...

Once you are on the dreaded hot seat, there are usually only a few ways off. Below we give you 10 coaches who need to finish strong to make certain they don't end up on the chopping block, and three who have managed to quiet the hot seat talk via different methods.
Coaches on the hot seat, Part I (NCAA and off-court issues)
2633.gif

1. Donnie Tyndall, Tennessee Volunteers

The Vols (12-6, 4-2) are tied for second place in the SEC, but I’m not sure winning games matters all that much for Tyndall, whose previous school, Southern Miss, just self-imposed a postseason ban due to issues from his time in Hattiesburg. There’s an NCAA investigation ongoing, and it could wind up costing him his job. Don’t be surprised if the NCAA ends up hitting Tyndall hard enough to make it tough for Tennessee to retain him.

2483.gif

2. Dana Altman, Oregon Ducks

On the surface, Altman looks safe. His deal is through 2020, he’s taken the Ducks to the NCAA tournament in each of the past two seasons and is 14-6 this season. However, it’s a lingering off-court issue -- an alleged sexual assault involving three players who have all been booted from the school -- that has Altman’s future in jeopardy. The victim in the case filed a federal Title IX lawsuit against Altman and the university earlier this month, and the coach's status could depend on how that situation plays out.

2567.gif

3. Larry Brown, SMU Mustangs

Brown is currently in the midst of an NCAA investigation tied to academics. At 74 years old, I wouldn’t be surprised if he walks away (or is told to walk away) after the season in order to avoid having to go in front of the NCAA’s Committee of Infractions. Then the question may become whether coach-in-waiting Tim Jankovich can still get the job.

Coaches on the hot seat, Part II (Not winning enough games)
59.gif

4. Brian Gregory, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Gregory, who came from Dayton in 2011, hasn’t been able to turn the Georgia Tech program around. The Yellow Jackets haven’t finished higher than ninth in the ACC in his first three seasons, and Tech is 0-7 in the conference this season (the most recent loss a home setback to Boston College on Sunday). Gregory got a one-year extension in 2013 that takes him through 2018, but it doesn’t look great for him, especially since current athletic director Mike Bobinski isn’t the one who hired him.

305.gif

5. Oliver Purnell, DePaul Blue Demons

Yes, I know the Blue Demons are 5-3 in Big East play. But I also know DePaul is 11-10 overall and has finished 16th out of 16 (twice), 15th out of 15 and 10th out of 10 in Big East play in his first four seasons. Purnell is a great human being, but he’s 61 years old and the end of his 7-year deal (he was hired in 2010) is approaching.

2599.gif

6. Steve Lavin, St. John’s Red Storm

Lavin took a team filled with Norm Roberts’ recruits to the NCAA tournament in his first season (2010-11), but hasn’t gone dancing since. He’s been to a pair of NITs, and with St. John's sitting at 13-6, 2-4 in the Big East, the finish to this year could determine whether Lavin -- still working under his original six-year deal inked in 2010 -- receives an extension.

197.gif

7. Travis Ford, Oklahoma State Cowboys

It’s never a good sign when the athletic director basically says he screwed up by giving you a long-term extension. Ford got a 10-year extension back in 2009 and the school will still have to pay Ford nearly $10 million if it severs ties after the season. That could protect him, and what could really help solidify his job security is if he can get to the NCAA tourney this season. The Cowboys are 13-6 and 3-4 in the Big 12, and Ford could certainly use a strong finish.

2509.gif

8. Matt Painter, Purdue Boilermakers

Painter inked an eight-year deal in 2011 when he was contemplating going to Missouri, a time when he was also in the midst of a tremendous run of six consecutive NCAA tourney appearances. Since then, the Boilermakers (12-8, 4-3 Big Ten) had back-to-back seasons under .500 and though improved in 2014-15, are in danger of not going to the tourney for the third consecutive season.

9.gif

9. Herb Sendek, Arizona State Sun Devils

Sendek received a three-year extension after last season’s NCAA tournament appearance, but it’s still unclear what the buyout would be if the school wanted to make a move. Sendek is in his ninth season, has gone to just a pair of NCAA tourneys -- and the Sun Devils are just 10-10 overall and 2-5 in the Pac-12 this season.

2439.gif

10. Dave Rice, UNLV Rebels

There aren’t many better people in the industry than Dave Rice, but there’s a certain level of expectation with heading up the Runnin’ Rebels program. He took his alma mater to the NCAA each of his first two seasons, but didn’t go a year ago and the school is 11-9 overall and 2-5 in a lackluster Mountain West this season. Rice just inked a two-year extension through 2019 this past offseason after South Florida made a run at him, but he also doesn’t make a ton of money.

Three coaches who have moved off the hot seat in 2014-15
120.gif

Mark Turgeon, Maryland Terrapins

I’ve made it no secret that I thought the Terps' hire of Turgeon, a guy who can really coach, was the correct one after the school misfired in its pursuit of Sean Miller back in 2011. Turgeon had a rough first three seasons, making some recruiting mistakes, and it culminated in an offseason in which numerous players left to go elsewhere. However, those defections were a case of addition by subtraction, and Turgeon has the program rolling with a 18-3 record (6-2 in the Big Ten). Much of the success can be attributed to the presence of talented and mature freshman point guard Melo Trimble. Don’t be surprised to see Turgeon receive an extension on his original 8-year deal signed in 2011.

84.gif

Tom Crean, Indiana Hoosiers

Crean has done a nice job with this team (15-5, 5-2 Big Ten), putting the Hoosiers in position to challenge for one of the top spots in the league. It’s not as if the Hoosiers are loaded, but they should get into the NCAA tourney. Crean has also been the beneficiary of a mediocre Big Ten, and has a hefty buyout that will go from $12 million to about $7.5 million in the summer.

245.gif

Billy Kennedy, Texas A&M Aggies

Kennedy is in his fourth season, hasn’t gone to the NCAA tournament (after the program made six straight appearances under Billy Gillispie and Mark Turgeon prior to Kennedy's arrival) and probably won’t make it this season. But the Aggies (13-5, 4-2 SEC) will make the postseason and Kennedy and his staff have put together a recruiting class that currently ranks behind only Kentucky and Arizona. The Aggies have four players ranked in the top 65 in the country -- that’s a great way to save your job.

Went back to the 1st post for giggles. Everyone on this list, except for BG & Travis Ford are either having really good seasons or have been fired.

My next order of business will be to start my 2016 Hell No! List. Any guesses on who's a lock for #1?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Went back to the 1st post for giggles. Everyone on this list, except for BG & Travis Ford are either having really good seasons or have been fired.

My next order of business will be to start my 2016 Hell No! List. Any guesses on who's a lock for #1?

Ooh, ooh, could he probably visit Graceland pretty easily?

Man, talk about a blast from the past. How 'bout all the clowns that were expecting MD to stink under Turgeon? Man, what dummies :oops:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Pastner, Haith, Tyndall, Dave Rice, McDermott, Kevin Stallings (I'm on an island with this one I'm sure)

Tyndall and Haith are TIC obviously

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The next coach must be a top recruiter. The ACC is full of really good coaches and in order to compete, we must have equal talent. Bobby brought us into BB existence with recruiting. We need 5 to 7 ACC level players (a few hamburger AA's) to compete with the top half of the ACC.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I said this on KQ's site. If we are firing him just to please the fan base then forget it. Keep him til we can afford to pay $$$. The next hire needs to come in from day one and create some buzz with the program around the country not on GT Swarm or other message boards. We are not in a position to reach on someone again. This is a turning point for the next 10 years of the program. We have been damn near irrelevant since 1996 minus the title run in 2004. And we only managed to finish 1 game over .500 that year in league play. In 20 years we've been to 5 NCAA tournaments and only got out of the first weekend once. Our tradition and history is only relevant to GT fans at this point. The only people that know who Letal Weapon 3 was are our own fans and other ACC fans. No one under the age of 30 knows what Mark Price and John Salley did here or even who they are with the younger generation. Hell I have a Lethal Weapon 3 t shirt I wear around the AAU program I work with in Flint and was asked by a parent if I was a fan of the movie or something..... That's where we are at as a program outside of ACC country. This will be the second biggest hire in GT hoops history when it's made. Do it right and we can be a top 1-4 ACC team. Half *** it and we might as well get use to what we are seeing now.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I said this on KQ's site. If we are firing him just to please the fan base then forget it. Keep him til we can afford to pay $$$. The next hire needs to come in from day one and create some buzz with the program around the country not on GT Swarm or other message boards. We are not in a position to reach on someone again. This is a turning point for the next 10 years of the program. We have been damn near irrelevant since 1996 minus the title run in 2004. And we only managed to finish 1 game over .500 that year in league play. In 20 years we've been to 5 NCAA tournaments and only got out of the first weekend once. Our tradition and history is only relevant to GT fans at this point. The only people that know who Letal Weapon 3 was are our own fans and other ACC fans. No one under the age of 30 knows what Mark Price and John Salley did here or even who they are with the younger generation. Hell I have a Lethal Weapon 3 t shirt I wear around the AAU program I work with in Flint and was asked by a parent if I was a fan of the movie or something..... That's where we are at as a program outside of ACC country. This will be the second biggest hire in GT hoops history when it's made. Do it right and we can be a top 1-4 ACC team. Half *** it and we might as well get use to what we are seeing now.

I tend to agree with this, but I hope we can do it this year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Having money for a good hire isn't the only factor. If keeping gregory does so much harm to the program that a good coach wouldn't want to come here even if he is paid competitively, then saving the money does no good. We'll just end up overpaying again.

It's why as soon as our AD said he was considering firing gregoy last year, and publicly telling him how to do his job, he should have been fired. gregory was basically a dead man walking coach from that moment and it was obvious. That sends the message that our program is willing to keep around a coach that isn't supported by the AD and willing to handicap it's coach, both of which are horrible messages to send to coaches you may want to attract. Keeping gregory and just letting his contract run out not only reinforces those messages, it also sends the message that our program is more concerned with saving a couple of dollars than trying to be competitive. Another horrible message to send to coaches you want to attract.

We can't afford to keep gregory, and it has nothing to do with money.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Keep him til we can afford to pay $$$. The next hire needs to come in from day one and create some buzz with the program around the country not on GT Swarm or other message boards.

If GT had the $$$, who is the big name hire that comes and creates a buzz? No ACC coach is coming, Jay Wright might for about $4-5million a year- same for someone like Mark Jackson or any other NBA type. There is no circumstance where GT is going to be paying a BBall coach comparable to what Roy, K, or Calipari makes. So those guys are out. I don't know of a big name, expensive coach that we would want, we could afford, and who would want to come (i.e. leave his present spot).

Hiring an assistant from a big name school or hiring a midmajor for $1million or so a year is not necessarily settling.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Jay Wright is a pipe dream. Even if we offered him $4MM he wouldn't come here.

Mark Jackson would be unreal to have. It would obviously never happen but to have one of the best PGs in NBA history reform PG-U would be awesome

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Jay Wright is a pipe dream. Even if we offered him $4MM he wouldn't come here.

Mark Jackson would be unreal to have. It would obviously never happen but to have one of the best PGs in NBA history reform PG-U would be awesome

Absolutely no on Mark Jackson. Apparently there's a reason you NEVER hear his name for any NBA jobs anymore.

They talk about it on NBARadio all the time. Hypocritical and just an all around bad person are the buzz words that get floated around when folks ask why he's still on the outs.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Absolutely no on Mark Jackson. Apparently there's a reason you NEVER hear his name for any NBA jobs anymore.

They talk about it on NBARadio all the time. Hypocritical and just an all around bad person are the buzz words that get floated around when folks ask why he's still on the outs.
If we hire Mark Jackson, I will try to have an open mind, but, please don't!!!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mark Jackson is probably the 2nd best player to ever play at St. John's, but the best player in St. John's history was named head coach with no coaching experience whatsoever.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I guess I hadn't heard all this stuff about Jackson. I knew there was some drama surrounding his GSW dismissal but I don't follow the NBA outside my daily fantasy score/algorithm page.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Having money for a good hire isn't the only factor. If keeping gregory does so much harm to the program that a good coach wouldn't want to come here even if he is paid competitively, then saving the money does no good. We'll just end up overpaying again.

It's why as soon as our AD said he was considering firing gregoy last year, and publicly telling him how to do his job, he should have been fired. gregory was basically a dead man walking coach from that moment and it was obvious. That sends the message that our program is willing to keep around a coach that isn't supported by the AD and willing to handicap it's coach, both of which are horrible messages to send to coaches you may want to attract. Keeping gregory and just letting his contract run out not only reinforces those messages, it also sends the message that our program is more concerned with saving a couple of dollars than trying to be competitive. Another horrible message to send to coaches you want to attract.

We can't afford to keep gregory, and it has nothing to do with money.
I completely agree with the vast majority of your post. The problem is that it isn't a matter of a 'couple' of dollars, rhetorically speaking. It's a ****ton more $ than that.

technodoc

Georgia Tech Fan
I like this thread and some of the names being thrown around. One name I have not seen mentioned is a HC who runs the best basketball program in the state, Coach Ron Price of Ga. State.

In addition he has placed players in the NBA and is a media darling in the post-season tourneys.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I read the KS article again (wearing my corporate hat this time) and thought about what Bobinski said (and didn't say). We don't know for sure what the measurables were for Gregory to keep his job. But Bobinski did give some hints. One was postseason play, and that looks all but gone. There is a possibility that the "coin toss" games we have been losing will start turning our way and we will win five or six of our final seven games, then win one or two in the ACC Tournament. That could get us a postseason bid and maybe, with some justification, extend CBG's tenure at Tech.

That said, I think Bobinski would like to move on to the next coach, but the buyout is a real issue. If he hasn't already, he will sit down with Gregory and his agent to try forging a compromise that includes a reduced buyout and let's Gregory leave (and message the leaving) on his own terms (or non-financial terms favorable to him). It would avoid the stain and embarrassment of being fired. If that can happen, I think it is almost certain we will have a new coach next year. Remember, MBob said, “I would have hoped we would have been 6-5, something like that, 7-4. That would have been more like what I felt like coming out of the nonconference (schedule).” Clearly, we are not where he thought we should be at this point.

If I were a betting man, which I am not, I would bet CBG will be gone unless we get to the postseason. Now it's a matter of finding the terms of his departure.