Coaches on the Hot Seat

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
John Goodman released his Coaches on the Hot Seat commentary today, so thought I'd post it. I think it's worth having a thread dedicated to discussing who's in trouble elsewhere, creating competition for candidates, and who the forum is viewing as potential candidates for the GT job in what's looking like the likely event of a regime change.

Outside of posting press coverage as to why BG is likely to go, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not turn this in to an opportunity to ramble on with criticisms of him. The goal here is to look towards the future and what we'd like to see, not keep commiserating about the past & present.

With that, here's Goodman's commentary...

Once you are on the dreaded hot seat, there are usually only a few ways off. Below we give you 10 coaches who need to finish strong to make certain they don't end up on the chopping block, and three who have managed to quiet the hot seat talk via different methods.
Coaches on the hot seat, Part I (NCAA and off-court issues)
2633.gif

1. Donnie Tyndall, Tennessee Volunteers

The Vols (12-6, 4-2) are tied for second place in the SEC, but I’m not sure winning games matters all that much for Tyndall, whose previous school, Southern Miss, just self-imposed a postseason ban due to issues from his time in Hattiesburg. There’s an NCAA investigation ongoing, and it could wind up costing him his job. Don’t be surprised if the NCAA ends up hitting Tyndall hard enough to make it tough for Tennessee to retain him.

2483.gif

2. Dana Altman, Oregon Ducks

On the surface, Altman looks safe. His deal is through 2020, he’s taken the Ducks to the NCAA tournament in each of the past two seasons and is 14-6 this season. However, it’s a lingering off-court issue -- an alleged sexual assault involving three players who have all been booted from the school -- that has Altman’s future in jeopardy. The victim in the case filed a federal Title IX lawsuit against Altman and the university earlier this month, and the coach's status could depend on how that situation plays out.

2567.gif

3. Larry Brown, SMU Mustangs

Brown is currently in the midst of an NCAA investigation tied to academics. At 74 years old, I wouldn’t be surprised if he walks away (or is told to walk away) after the season in order to avoid having to go in front of the NCAA’s Committee of Infractions. Then the question may become whether coach-in-waiting Tim Jankovich can still get the job.

Coaches on the hot seat, Part II (Not winning enough games)
59.gif

4. Brian Gregory, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Gregory, who came from Dayton in 2011, hasn’t been able to turn the Georgia Tech program around. The Yellow Jackets haven’t finished higher than ninth in the ACC in his first three seasons, and Tech is 0-7 in the conference this season (the most recent loss a home setback to Boston College on Sunday). Gregory got a one-year extension in 2013 that takes him through 2018, but it doesn’t look great for him, especially since current athletic director Mike Bobinski isn’t the one who hired him.

305.gif

5. Oliver Purnell, DePaul Blue Demons

Yes, I know the Blue Demons are 5-3 in Big East play. But I also know DePaul is 11-10 overall and has finished 16th out of 16 (twice), 15th out of 15 and 10th out of 10 in Big East play in his first four seasons. Purnell is a great human being, but he’s 61 years old and the end of his 7-year deal (he was hired in 2010) is approaching.

2599.gif

6. Steve Lavin, St. John’s Red Storm

Lavin took a team filled with Norm Roberts’ recruits to the NCAA tournament in his first season (2010-11), but hasn’t gone dancing since. He’s been to a pair of NITs, and with St. John's sitting at 13-6, 2-4 in the Big East, the finish to this year could determine whether Lavin -- still working under his original six-year deal inked in 2010 -- receives an extension.

197.gif

7. Travis Ford, Oklahoma State Cowboys

It’s never a good sign when the athletic director basically says he screwed up by giving you a long-term extension. Ford got a 10-year extension back in 2009 and the school will still have to pay Ford nearly $10 million if it severs ties after the season. That could protect him, and what could really help solidify his job security is if he can get to the NCAA tourney this season. The Cowboys are 13-6 and 3-4 in the Big 12, and Ford could certainly use a strong finish.

2509.gif

8. Matt Painter, Purdue Boilermakers

Painter inked an eight-year deal in 2011 when he was contemplating going to Missouri, a time when he was also in the midst of a tremendous run of six consecutive NCAA tourney appearances. Since then, the Boilermakers (12-8, 4-3 Big Ten) had back-to-back seasons under .500 and though improved in 2014-15, are in danger of not going to the tourney for the third consecutive season.

9.gif

9. Herb Sendek, Arizona State Sun Devils

Sendek received a three-year extension after last season’s NCAA tournament appearance, but it’s still unclear what the buyout would be if the school wanted to make a move. Sendek is in his ninth season, has gone to just a pair of NCAA tourneys -- and the Sun Devils are just 10-10 overall and 2-5 in the Pac-12 this season.

2439.gif

10. Dave Rice, UNLV Rebels

There aren’t many better people in the industry than Dave Rice, but there’s a certain level of expectation with heading up the Runnin’ Rebels program. He took his alma mater to the NCAA each of his first two seasons, but didn’t go a year ago and the school is 11-9 overall and 2-5 in a lackluster Mountain West this season. Rice just inked a two-year extension through 2019 this past offseason after South Florida made a run at him, but he also doesn’t make a ton of money.

Three coaches who have moved off the hot seat in 2014-15
120.gif

Mark Turgeon, Maryland Terrapins

I’ve made it no secret that I thought the Terps' hire of Turgeon, a guy who can really coach, was the correct one after the school misfired in its pursuit of Sean Miller back in 2011. Turgeon had a rough first three seasons, making some recruiting mistakes, and it culminated in an offseason in which numerous players left to go elsewhere. However, those defections were a case of addition by subtraction, and Turgeon has the program rolling with a 18-3 record (6-2 in the Big Ten). Much of the success can be attributed to the presence of talented and mature freshman point guard Melo Trimble. Don’t be surprised to see Turgeon receive an extension on his original 8-year deal signed in 2011.

84.gif

Tom Crean, Indiana Hoosiers

Crean has done a nice job with this team (15-5, 5-2 Big Ten), putting the Hoosiers in position to challenge for one of the top spots in the league. It’s not as if the Hoosiers are loaded, but they should get into the NCAA tourney. Crean has also been the beneficiary of a mediocre Big Ten, and has a hefty buyout that will go from $12 million to about $7.5 million in the summer.

245.gif

Billy Kennedy, Texas A&M Aggies

Kennedy is in his fourth season, hasn’t gone to the NCAA tournament (after the program made six straight appearances under Billy Gillispie and Mark Turgeon prior to Kennedy's arrival) and probably won’t make it this season. But the Aggies (13-5, 4-2 SEC) will make the postseason and Kennedy and his staff have put together a recruiting class that currently ranks behind only Kentucky and Arizona. The Aggies have four players ranked in the top 65 in the country -- that’s a great way to save your job.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm a homer, but there's not a better job on that list than GT. If it was the '80's or '90's you could make an argument for St. Johns.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Due to the Phil Knight affiliation I think Oregon is the best job on the list. Its similar to the Texas job. Football is king so if you make 2 of 3 tournaments and run a clean program you will probably always safe.

Tennessee is reaping what they've sewn. Sad thing is, Tyndall is winning, ha, jokes on you guys. Id never wanna coach at UNLV, too much temptation in that town.

It is astonishing how historically bad the Depaul job is. I liken it to Seton Hall, in that town, how can that program never seem to get off the ground?

quadf

Georgia Tech Fan
Is there precedence for NCAA punishment following a coach to another school? I thought it was fairly common for coaches to transfer away when sanctions were on the horizon.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It's true, that Nike money should always make ORE attractive. However, in bball, the impact is more muted. Does KY, Duke or any other major players for Nike get any less attention than ORE in bball circles?

Agree on TN. Ran a clean (well, a guy without a history of allegations) guy out of town who just took them to the Sweet16. Hired a historically dirty guy. Strange.

Depaul is similar to us in that it's in a bball recruiting hotbed but can't seem to keep the major players home.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Is there precedence for NCAA punishment following a coach to another school? I thought it was fairly common for coaches to transfer away when sanctions were on the horizon.

I think the punishment follows the coach more in bball than in fball because it typically has to do specifically with the coach's actions whereas in fball it's the actions of the 'institution'. IIRC, Tyndall is specifically being targeted as a repeat offender and there are former coaches 'testifying' against him.

quadf

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the punishment follows the coach more in bball than in fball because it typically has to do specifically with the coach's actions whereas in fball it's the actions of the 'institution'. IIRC, Tyndall is specifically being targeted as a repeat offender and there are former coaches 'testifying' against him.

Ah, gotcha. I follow football more than basketball, so I was a little surprised.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

If he had a hand in it, he could get hit with a show-cause.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@kg01 - DePaul is first building a new arena now, but dead on. They've historically underperformed even when getting the top kids in Chicago.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Coaching Changes twitter feed is throwing out names for the various jobs on Goodman's hot seat list.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My views on their names...

Chris Mack - too obvious, but certainly not a bad choice. Not sure we're a step up over his Big East job at his alma mater.
Andy Enfield - Had a great run to create Dunk City, parlayed it in to USC, has recruited well, done nothing with it.
Tom Crean - Interesting name. We'd clearly be a step down from a college hoops blue blood, but this may be an oppty to stay ahead of the reaper, make good money, and we know he gets results.
Ben Howland - this name could ignite a firestorm of reaction, likely negative, except for @Peacone36
Craig Neal - another obvious choice, helped put New Mexico back in good shape with Alford and has continued to perform there, despite graduations, loss of his son to injury, & some NBA defections. Obvious GT connection, also.

Howland & Enfield I can do without, the other names are ok by me.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Agree on Mack. Low hanging fruit. He's at his alma mater. Doubtful he'd go anywhere.
Enfield - Only redeeming quality would be the camera shots of his wife. He's the latest reincarnation of Stan Heath aka strike while the NCAA iron is hot the fizzle out after cashing in. No thanks.
Crean - Would indeed be getting out before the reaper and really what has he done without Dwhine Wade?
Howland - Will probably end up at TN. Clearly they enjoy hiring problems.
Neal- again easy pick to include on the list. Eh, I could see it but still wouldn't be my first choice.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@kg01 - When Crean arrived at Indiana, he had 1 scholarship on the roster. He's had ups & downs and Indiana fans haven't always been happy, but he did a phenomenal job in the wake of the Kelvin Sampson wasteland.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
no thanks on Enfield and Neal. I have Neal on my list but not my top 5 I wanna be sure he can sustain the program before I am all in on Noodles.. Enfield not even in my top...........20. I think Crean is judged unfairly. Id like that hire.

If i told you you could have a coach who has made 10 NCAAT, 3 FF, A NC runner up, a career winning % of 66% among 3 different schools, and finished in the top 3 of his conference in 12 of 20 years coaching and put about 20 players in the NBA, but some generation Y players didnt like him. What would you say? Ben Howland would put this program back on the map fellahs.

Write that down.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
BTW, there is no reason Few leaves Gonzaga for Oregon or Williams leaving VT for Oklahoma St after 1 year unless hes a real scumbag (which i dont think he is) he brought kids from Marquette to VT and he has a heck of a class coming down the pipe.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@kg01 - When Crean arrived at Indiana, he had 1 scholarship on the roster. He's had ups & downs and Indiana fans haven't always been happy, but he did a phenomenal job in the wake of the Kelvin Sampson wasteland.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'll continue to speak in hyperbole and you'll continue to smack me with facts. :smuggrin:

@Peacone36 you make some interesting points on Howland. Would certainly carry some name value considering we're 'crootin' against several HOF coaches. I doubt our administration would go for it as I have a feeling the academic side of things are lacking with Howland? (Honestly, my original comment was to bash you for mentioning him. Then I thought about it and it's really not that bad an idea.)

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Don't think Howland would be a good recruiter.....sounds like he had a hard time recruiting in LA. Imperative that generation y players like him for him to be successful here imo.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
My views on their names...

Chris Mack - too obvious, but certainly not a bad choice. Not sure we're a step up over his Big East job at his alma mater.
Andy Enfield - Had a great run to create Dunk City, parlayed it in to USC, has recruited well, done nothing with it.
Tom Crean - Interesting name. We'd clearly be a step down from a college hoops blue blood, but this may be an oppty to stay ahead of the reaper, make good money, and we know he gets results.
Ben Howland - this name could ignite a firestorm of reaction, likely negative, except for @Peacone36
Craig Neal - another obvious choice, helped put New Mexico back in good shape with Alford and has continued to perform there, despite graduations, loss of his son to injury, & some NBA defections. Obvious GT connection, also.

Howland & Enfield I can do without, the other names are ok by me.
Even though the record doesn't show it I kinda like Dave Rice. Great recruiter. His X's & O's are a little iffy but with some good assistant coaches he could be a decent hire.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Those in the know, educate me...

Who is the best option as a HC replacement in terms of great X's and O's coach as well as great recruiter?