Coaches on the Hot Seat

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I still think they let CBG's contract run out.
I meant to say "...they could let CBG's contract run out."

I agree it's unlikely, but it would coincide with Price's older son finishing at Charlotte and his younger son graduating HS.

Not touting this as legitimate, but I don't think there's much way for CBG to save his job here. It's just a matter of time. If they move too quickly (this year), they won't necessarily have the funds to get a top coach (without taking a gamble on an unproven guy).

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems to me that GT has to be able to come up with enough money to lure away Archie Miller if he indeed makes $400k. Miller is an ACC guy and was finalist for the Florida job. Can't we offer him $1m for 4 years with incentives that will allow him to earn more if he makes the NCAAs (even NIT) and ACC championship, etc.? Also, maybe a balloon payment or raise timed for when our books clear up.

The only problem I can find with Miller is that he is at Dayton. The fans may hate that, but this kid's dad is a great coach, his brother is great and he looks pretty great too. He can recruit ATL, NC, and PA for sure. We need to do this now so the new guy can bring the energy and optimism to get the ATL recruits that are now available. Waiting a year will further destroy our brand which is in a bad way already.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Can you elaborate?

Think of an attribute of Hewitt and Gregory was basically the opposite. Hewitt was tall, black, had a guard oriented offense that was seen as not having a lot of structure. He also had limited HC experience prior to arriving here, only 3 years at Sienna.

Gregory is short, white, and was thought to have a very structured post oriented offense, at least at the time of his hire. He also had 8 years head coaching experience, and people also were pointing to his time under Izzo as almost the same level of experience as head coaching somewhere smaller.

It was largely superficial differences but the hire was made not because gregory had any chance of succeeding here, but because our former AD knew our fanbase would create their own excuses for gregory's failures for the first 2 or 3 years, by which time he was going to be gone anyways.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There was also the small matter of GT's academic situation at the time of the coaching change. It had already lost schollies over APR and were getting close to losing more and being disallowed from NCAA Tourney appearances. Gregory had a strong academic profile at Dayton that the big wigs at GT liked.

Biggest reason for his hire was simple though - he was inexpensive.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
There was also the small matter of GT's academic situation at the time of the coaching change. It had already lost schollies over APR and were getting close to losing more and being disallowed from NCAA Tourney appearances. Gregory had a strong academic profile at Dayton that the big wigs at GT liked.

Biggest reason for his hire was simple though - he was inexpensive.

I actually hear a lot of your reasons @lv20gt but the main thing is as RR points out above, CBG's price was the deciding factor.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My only comment is that whoever they bring in next (whenever "next" turns out to be) had better be able to attract the bg name recruits. This program needs some buzz, some sizzle, some attention, some pop....and a bunch of 3 star recruits who slowly elevate us back to 6-12 or 7-11 in ACC play won't do a thing to bring fans like me back to the arena with wallets in hand.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Chris Mooney was the top choice, but when Richmond raised his salary where GT couldn't or wouldn't match, it was Gregory, Wocjik and one other whose name escapes me right now.
Gregory was quite frankly the best of the serious contenders.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The move has to be made now. Kudos to Bradley for stating it. The fan apathy would be so bad if he is retained that the program might never recover. Actually if I was Bobinski I would issue the ultimatum this week, make the NIT or NCAA or you are fired. Leave no doubt. Bobinski has to show some kinda of leadership because right now he is useless.

Bobinski is a large part of the problem. He should go now. Public proclamations like that are nothing but window dressing. I assume you mean privately.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really wanted Prohm last year, I think GT could have had him.

Assuming we are priced out of Mack and Miller (though Miller is payed alot less than Mack so you might have a chance, but he would be a bidding war)
I like Enfield this year. He checks my boxes
ACC experience (yes, asst as FSU)
NCAA Tourney appearances (yes, Sweet Sixteen - only 15 seed to ever make it from FGCU, will make NCAA in third year at USC)
Recruitng (yes, has signed 7 four-star players the last 3 years at USC)
Other (yes, salary is ok, makes just over $1M/yr - will likely get a raise from USC. Maybe want to return to East Coast - he is from PA and most of his life has been spent more on the east coast. His wife is also from the East Coast).

If something happens in March my first 2 calls are to agents for Mack and Miller, my third call is to Enfield's agent.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I actually hear a lot of your reasons @lv20gt but the main thing is as RR points out above, CBG's price was the deciding factor.

We could have gone after an assistant for the same price or less. The fact a head coach with 8 years experience was that cheap should have been a red flag. We tried going cheap and still found a way to overpay for what we got.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Cuonzo Martin was the other (and best) choice. However his ability with X's and O's is lacking, though he is an effective recruiter.

Of course this is hindsight, I was firmly in Mooneys corner after watching Richmond in the tourney.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Cuonzo Martin was the other (and best) choice. However his ability with X's and O's is lacking, though he is an effective recruiter.

Of course this is hindsight, I was firmly in Mooneys corner after watching Richmond in the tourney.

Haha, sucker. Nah, I'm kidding. I was never one of the Moonies. I wonder if the Spider fans regert giving him that lifetime deal?

Martin would've killed it here.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know what but I know there was something in Martin's background that ended up getting red flagged and he was dropped completely. He would have been a slightly better version of Hewitt imo. Great recruiter, not much of an in game guy. He has a really talented team this year and is treading .500 in PAC.

I had to be convinced on Mooney, but was ok with him. Heck at that time (actually going back a couple of years earlier i was all about Marshall. At that time - the year before Iman came, GT likely could have gotten him - but once again, none of us knew at that time what the financials were).