Coaches on the Hot Seat

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Rice is intriguing but A jump from Monmouth to the ACC is something that terrifies me. For some reason I'd be a lot more comfortable with Drew, Haase, Dambrot (though Dambrot is unlikely to go anywhere).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure that Price and Neal would just be maudlin sentiment. Neal's New Mexico team is second in the Mountain West, and Price's Charlotte team is surprising.

The preseason predictions that I saw were that Charlotte would go 4-14 in conference after losing 4 of their top 5 scorers from last year. They are currently 6-6. They're remaining games are:
@Marshall (they beat Marshall at home, 103-95)
@WKU (they beat them at home 88-71)
UTSA (who are 4-22, 2-11 in conf)
UTEP (who are 15-11, 7-6 in conf)
@Rice (they beat them at home 102-73)
@UNT (the beat them at home 103-79)

Now, I don't know what home-court advantage looks like in Conf USA, but I'd be surprised if it's 15+ pts. It seems to me that they should win at least 4 of those last 6 and have a decent shot of winning them out. If I'm looking at this right, their 6 conference losses have been 9, 3, 1, 2, 5, 5. And the 3 pt loss was in OT to ODU. Heck, when you consider that they've played the best teams in the conference to within a bucket and beat most of the worst teams like a drum, you can't write them off from winning the conf usa tournament and punching their ticket.

Like I've said before, I'm not saying Price is the guy, but I'm not sure how quickly you should sneeze at these results.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
So on the Price subject. Forgive me now if this is going to add to the misery.

Mark Price is loved by the alumni some of which feel we should give him a shot. He's shown surprisingly good results by most reports in his first year as a head coach. Knowing that we are in a horrible buyout situation but nearing the end...

Do we think the powers that be decide to tough it out one more year with the current situation to see what Price can do in his second year (make sure it's not a fluke) rather than pull the trigger this year costing the AA more buyout money?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Is Crean truly on the hot seat again? I mean damn, come on down Tom. Happy to have you. They were one of the hottest teams in the country until a kid in East Lansing remembered "I'm Denzel Freaking Valentine dammit, I'm awesome at basketball" and smoke showed em last weekend.

Not to mention they lost their second best player and one of the top 2 guards in the country to a knee injury a few weeks ago.

Go home Hoosiers, you're drunk.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Is Crean truly on the hot seat again? I mean damn, come on down Tom. Happy to have you. They were one of the hottest teams in the country until a kid in East Lansing remembered "I'm Denzel Freaking Valentine dammit, I'm awesome at basketball" and smoke showed em last weekend.

Not to mention they lost their second best player and one of the top 2 guards in the country to a knee injury a few weeks ago.

Go home Hoosiers, you're drunk.

Shhhhh. You're not drunk, Hoosiers. Clearly IU can pull Brad Stevens back to the college ranks. All you need is a job opening. ;)

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
U of M? Yes, I agree...

Oh wait... you meant Memphis, not Michigan's John Beilein?

Never mind then.

Can you imagine? What a great hire that was.

This is my mental state the day John Beilein becomes our coach:

image.jpeg

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What still gets me is how close we actually came to not having to pay the Hewitt buyout.
St. John's was prepared to hire Hewitt, but his wife and teenage daughters didn't want to leave Atlanta, so he ended up ending the contact. A year later he was fired and we were on the hook for a big buyout.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What still gets me is how close we actually came to not having to pay the Hewitt buyout.
St. John's was prepared to hire Hewitt, but his wife and teenage daughters didn't want to leave Atlanta, so he ended up ending the contact. A year later he was fired and we were on the hook for a big buyout.

Yep. I had been done with him as a coach, but that turn of events soured me on him as a person. After everything GT had done for him and his family, he made a decision that he knew would screw us even when we were working with him to find a greener pasture.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yep. I had been done with him as a coach, but that turn of events soured me on him as a person. After everything GT had done for him and his family, he made a decision that he knew would screw us even when we were working with him to find a greener pasture.
I don't think that is fair. We agreed to the deal with him and I doubt any of us would have walked away from that contract because it would not be good for Tech. He had a responsibility to do what was best for him and his family.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that is fair. We agreed to the deal with him and I doubt any of us would have walked away from that contract because it would not be good for Tech. He had a responsibility to do what was best for him and his family.

That's fine. I disagree that morality is confined to immediate family. His family was going to be taken care of either way.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Leonard Hamilton received a 2 yr extension today from FSU.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...iss-ncaa-tournament-but-gets-2-year-extension

if they fall short of the NCAA this season and they are currently 16-11 and 8 spots behind GT in the RPI, this will be the fourth straight year they have missed.
Article points out they have been recruiting really well the last three years so this may be to buy a little more time.
But it is also a reminder that AD's in general are much slower to make a coaching change than fans are.

Also an interesting article on Ben Simmons and LSU. No coach may be taking a harder hit to his reputation than Johnnie Jones. This is the team with the #1 NBA draft pick, another five star and 3 more 4 stars on its roster and it is not close to being an NCAA team.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...tory-complex-legacy-of-ben-simmons-lsu-career

LSU is 16-12 and currently 91 in the RPI and has 5 losses to teams lower than 100.