Coaches on the Hot Seat

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bradley has been writing the same basic article for 2 years. I agree, but i'll believe it when I see it.

He does neglect to mention that in addition to the $1.3 to CBG there is also the matter of 2.7 to Hewitt.

i do like hat I believe is a subtle dig at Fox though.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
"Should Bobinski seek to stay his hand and pinch pennies — Gregory’s buyout is $1.343 million, down from the $2.4 million of a year ago; it would shrink to $537,500 after next season — the effect on Tech basketball could be devastating. According to Rivals, seven of the nation’s top 80 recruits for 2017 will hail from Georgia, No. 1 prospect Wendell Carter Jr. of Pace Academy among them. The possibility of a wipeout season capped by a coaching change would surely make most heralded locals look elsewhere." Mark Bradley, ajc.com
This won't be a popular viewpoint, but I disagree with Bradley.

Flush 2017. Just flush it. Don't worry about recruits. Let CBG do his best. And flush it.

Start fresh in 2018; take the $800,000 saved off the buyout and put it toward a new guy's salary.

If we change at the end of this year, we're still hobbled. Flush it until we can get more of the shackles off, then begin the rebuild right.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The only way there's a change this year is if the Big $ guys step up and wipe the slate clean. Based on what was alleged last year, I don't see that happening. When CBG wasn't terminated last year, I said it'd be 2-3 years. I could actually see them letting his contract expire, going without any payout. That essentially would coincide with the the final installment of Hewitt's payoff (maybe 1 more year). I don't think anyone on this board (I could be wrong) has any inkling of what the true situation Bobinski's working with is. We speculate from the outside, but we don't know.

If the right coach is brought in, a competitive team could be built (by the right coach) in Year 1. It would take the right hire (and I don't think it would happen), but it could happen.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I could actually see them letting his contract expire, going without any payout

No way. That would be a huge turn off for any coach looking at this job to let a coach just sit as a lame duck for years while his contract expires. It shows a disrespect for the fanbase and a lack of any interest by the AD in making the basketball program relevant at all. It would be killing the program to save a couple of bucks.

Last year our AD publicly told gregory how to do his job. There is no way he can be brought back next year.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
GT basketball has already become irrelevant with him here. The longer we wait, the longer it is going to take us to turn around the program. I agree we definitely need to get the right coach and that could take dollars. Here's hoping one of the big hitters can step up and pay CBG's salary off as a tax deduction. Just don't think the program can take much more.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If we're not going to swing for the moon, might as well beg Neal to come home to save us. Much better option than Price.

Is he though? I am not sold on Noodles

I don't have a strong opinion but am open minded to both these guys. Fwiw, Charlotte lost to UAB 74-72 and to MTSU 73-72. Given what Mark had to start with, getting them competitive in conference his first.year seems pretty good.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Do the high school kids around Atlanta remember Craig Neal or Mark Price? Have they even heard of them?

I loved both these guys as players and worry that bringing either, but Price, especially, would be fraught with potential issues. I wonder if the Mark Price jersey hanging in McCamish will someday be a rallying cry for his firing. Through scheduling tricks and a weak conference, even a poor coach can get a team of 3* players to .500.

Noodles had a good team two years ago with Steve Alford recruits, but went backwards last year. Things are better right now, but are the Lobos an NCAA team? Unless they win the MWC tournament, I would think not. That said, The Pit is full for every game. Can't say the same for McCamish. And that might be reason enough for him to stay at New Mexico.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't have a strong opinion but am open minded to both these guys. Fwiw, Charlotte lost to UAB 74-72 and to MTSU 73-72. Given what Mark had to start with, getting them competitive in conference his first.year seems pretty good.
Forgive me, but not really looking for someone to come in and "compete" right now - I've seen enough of that over the last few years.

I'm not sold on Noodles or Price - Noodles won with Alford's players, and I want to see a little bit more from Price before we bring him in to totally rebuild a program in every facet. But to answer the question above, I think Mark Price throws more weight around with recruits than Craig Neal.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Do the high school kids around Atlanta remember Craig Neal or Mark Price? Have they even heard of them?

I loved both these guys as players and worry that bringing either, but Price, especially, would be fraught with potential issues. I wonder if the Mark Price jersey hanging in McCamish will someday be a rallying cry for his firing. Through scheduling tricks and a weak conference, even a poor coach can get a team of 3* players to .500.

Noodles had a good team two years ago with Steve Alford recruits, but went backwards last year. Things are better right now, but are the Lobos an NCAA team? Unless they win the MWC tournament, I would think not. That said, The Pit is full for every game. Can't say the same for McCamish. And that might be reason enough for him to stay at New Mexico.

The Pit has been full for every game since "Christ was a cowboy"

Do people say that in the south or is that a northern thing?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The Pit has been full for every game since "Christ was a cowboy"

Do people say that in the south or is that a northern thing?

When who was a what now? Definitely a carpet-bagguh expression. :p

@orientalnc, i dont think HS kids know Neal or Price. Pretty sure Price coached some kids on shooting while he was here in town but i doubt his name rings any bells, to the extent we'd need it to.

The only way I'm ok with Neal is if we can't pay a top tier guy.

I'm just distraught (to the extent one can be distraught over something like this) over the whole situation. Firing BG is a mercy killing at this point.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Price would have buy in from local recruiting services in Charlotte & Atlanta. Would also likely carry weight with AAU & HS coaches. That said, I don't think we can justify hiring him until he's proven himself at Charlotte. Unfortunately, poor timing.

I'd have rolled the dice on him last year if we canned BG. I think he'd probably show enough progress after 2 years to justify a hire. If we end up canning BG this year though, you're in a kind of an in-between spot.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Price would have buy in from local recruiting services in Charlotte & Atlanta. Would also likely carry weight with AAU & HS coaches. That said, I don't think we can justify hiring him until he's proven himself at Charlotte. Unfortunately, poor timing.

I'd have rolled the dice on him last year if we canned BG. I think he'd probably show enough progress after 2 years to justify a hire. If we end up canning BG this year though, you're in a kind of an in-between spot.
I love MP. I have had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times. I even got to hear him preach a sermon at my church once. However, in regards to recruiting... I know he has the resources but would he be "salesman" enough?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I still think they let CBG's contract run out. It's not as if they wouldn't have told him they were letting his contract run out (if they did).

Mark Price finally goes out and gets a mid-major HC position coincident with CBG being told his contract would not be renewed. 2-3 years HC experience prior being brought in to rebuild his alma mater. He could be a great coach, or he could be a dumpster fire. I'm of the opinion that he'd be a good coach, would teach the kids how to shoot, and could attract assistants that would be able to recruit. I guarantee you kids in the ATL know who Mark Price is.

Not likely, and a little to0 sinister to be true, but it does make for interesting speculation.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I suspect the timing would not be right for Price after this season.
I don't think he would want to run out after one year. Also, his oldest son Hudson transferred from TCU to Charlotte when his dad got the job and will be a R-JR next season.
I believe his younger son is a HS JR.
His team at Charlotte this season is pretty young and not overly talented but they are competing hard. Almost like GT with alot of very close losses (last 5 losses have included a 1 pt, 2 pt and 2 OT losses).
If GT does not make a change this offseason that might be the coach I pay most attention to next season.

I'll also add that I think Bradley has coaching in the ACC correct. Gregory could go back to the mid-major level and be a perfectly good coach at that level. He is simply not good enough at an ACC level. Every coach in the ACC is a 'good' coach. So what that really means is a 'good' coach at the ACC level will be at the bottom of the league.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The rumor last summer was that CBG wwas told NCAA or bust. I don't put alot of faith in that simply because until I see how they are going to handle finances I can't bring myself to believe it.
If a change does happen you'll know quickly what the financial constraints are by the names that pop up for the job.
But once again, i'll believe it when it actually happens.
Next year is really the latest GT could make a move. CBG has 2 yrs left on his contract, you can't have a coach with no time left on the contract - everyone would understand what that meant.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Forgive me, but not really looking for someone to come in and "compete" right now - I've seen enough of that over the last few years.

I'm not sold on Noodles or Price - Noodles won with Alford's players, and I want to see a little bit more from Price before we bring him in to totally rebuild a program in every facet. But to answer the question above, I think Mark Price throws more weight around with recruits than Craig Neal.

Thanks for sharing, but if you think that my point was that we should get Price because he could "compete", you misunderstood. Like I said, I'm open to, but not strongly favoring, these guys which is probably a bit more optimistic than your "not sold on," but maybe not that much more. My point in stating Mark's record, is that when you consider how empty his cupboard was when he got to Charlotte, it's something to keep your eye on when he plays the two best teams in his conference so closely.