Coaches on the Hot Seat

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I read the KS article again (wearing my corporate hat this time) and thought about what Bobinski said (and didn't say). We don't know for sure what the measurables were for Gregory to keep his job. But Bobinski did give some hints. One was postseason play, and that looks all but gone. There is a possibility that the "coin toss" games we have been losing will start turning our way and we will win five or six of our final seven games, then win one or two in the ACC Tournament. That could get us a postseason bid and maybe, with some justification, extend CBG's tenure at Tech.

That said, I think Bobinski would like to move on to the next coach, but the buyout is a real issue. If he hasn't already, he will sit down with Gregory and his agent to try forging a compromise that includes a reduced buyout and let's Gregory leave (and message the leaving) on his own terms (or non-financial terms favorable to him). It would avoid the stain and embarrassment of being fired. If that can happen, I think it is almost certain we will have a new coach next year. Remember, MBob said, “I would have hoped we would have been 6-5, something like that, 7-4. That would have been more like what I felt like coming out of the nonconference (schedule).” Clearly, we are not where he thought we should be at this point.

If I were a betting man, which I am not, I would bet CBG will be gone unless we get to the postseason. Now it's a matter of finding the terms of his departure.
While I like your scenario, I don't see how that plays out. What incentive does Gregory have to take less money. Everyone will know he was fired, the messaging does not matter. Barring a miracle finish and a postseason berth, Bobinski has to move on this at the end of the season. Unless he is tone deaf, he has to know many Tech fans are questioning his ability to do his job (personally I have no use for Bobinski). He screwed up by extending Gregory and then in the language he used last year to not fire him.

Our wasteland of a BB program is killing me as I am a huge Tech BB fan since the first day Cremins set foot on campus. What three successive AD's have done to our program is borderline criminal. I am praying for that miracle finish.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I completely agree with the vast majority of your post. The problem is that it isn't a matter of a 'couple' of dollars, rhetorically speaking. It's a ****ton more $ than that.

Gregory makes 1.075 mil annual salary. If we fire him we pay 1.34 mil to him. In the world of ACC buyouts that is not a lot at all. Even factoring in Hewitt, that would be ~1.7 mil for next year and ~1.44 mil the year after to previous coaches. Go look at the buyouts of other ACC schools, maybe VT/Clemson if we're talking even being middle of the road. It's not a lot comparatively.

If we want be competitive in which case this buyout situation shouldn't prevent us from making a move that should have been made last year.

If we can't do that, then we might as well bail, gamble on Price, and hope we get lucky.

It's a dream that we can just let the contracts run out and then be in a situation to be competitive with the next coach.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
While I like your scenario, I don't see how that plays out. What incentive does Gregory have to take less money. Everyone will know he was fired, the messaging does not matter. Barring a miracle finish and a postseason berth, Bobinski has to move on this at the end of the season. Unless he is tone deaf, he has to know many Tech fans are questioning his ability to do his job (personally I have no use for Bobinski). He screwed up by extending Gregory and then in the language he used last year to not fire him.

Our wasteland of a BB program is killing me as I am a huge Tech BB fan since the first day Cremins set foot on campus. What three successive AD's have done to our program is borderline criminal. I am praying for that miracle finish.
There are number of incentives Tech could offer, but not knowing what things are important to Gregory or his family, I am not sure how that plays out, either. But money is important only to a point. Everyone has life choices that include stuff they value more than money.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Tulane stuns Memphis, 94-87, in OT
NEW ORLEANS — As he neared the end of a three-minute interview Saturday following a devastating 94-87 overtime loss to Tulane at Fogelman Arena in Devlin Fieldhouse, University of Memphis coach Josh Pastner apologized to Tigers fans.

In a season with plenty of low points, Memphis appeared to hit rock bottom Saturday, losing to a Tulane team that had dropped 12 straight games at home in American Athletic Conference play dating to last season.

"I know they're upset. There's nothing to say," said Pastner, whose Tigers (14-11, 5-7 AAC) lost for the sixth time in their last eight games.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
That's a terrible lost. Tulane does have some talent in Morgan and Dabney but there is no way they should beat Memphis. Hard to believe where Pastener has taken that program. Good news is he can actually recruit his way out of that mess.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That's a terrible lost. Tulane does have some talent in Morgan and Dabney but there is no way they should beat Memphis. Hard to believe where Pastener has taken that program. Good news is he can actually recruit his way out of that mess.

With many more losses like this one the toxicity that infiltrated our program under our prior guy will choke his recruiting off though. Recruits will know he's a short-timer. Pastner'll have to 'coach' his way out of it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Odd juxtaposition, but there was actually some talk of replacing Bo Ryan's interim replacement at Wisconsin...Greg Gard. The guy is 16-9 (8-4 conference). The recent roll UW went on helped pipe down replacement talk, and barring a massive collapse, he should get the job permanently.

Meanwhile, over here...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So critical in us avoiding a big mistake

So, if I read you correctly, you're thinking the Jackets should step in, hire Pastner and thereby save them from having to pay his buyout?

Kidding. The scary thing is, as RR keeps saying, our administration seems to be keen on unnecessarily exorbitant buyouts as a means for keeping our coaches from leaving. Hopefully they've learned their lesson.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From Forde Minutes... some comments on GT as a potential gig and a rundown on some mid-majors, where we may pluck our next coach from, in the event we make a change.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Man, lots of good stuff there, @dtm1997 Thanks for posting.
Georgia Tech (24). Brian Gregory is well on his way to a fifth straight season without an NCAA bid, something that hasn’t happened at Tech since the first half of the 1980s. That should be enough. How good is the job: There are better ones in the ACC, certainly, but with a refurbished arena and the same surplus of local talent, Georgia Tech is a place where a good coach can win. (If that coach can navigate the occasionally turgid recruiting waters of Atlanta.) Who might get the call: This could be a spot for King Rice or Bryce Drew, or perhaps Jerod Haase. Maudlin alum sentiment for Mark Price or Craig Neal not likely to be heeded.

The X-factor in all this: Roy Williams and North Carolina. If Williams decides to retire, that changes the pecking order rather substantially.

Interesting names he mentioned. Hadn't thought about King Rice. He doesn't tie the two together but Crean could be interesting. He'd be eating off IU buyout money so perhaps can be had for a decent number?

ETA: Also curious to see how Pitino (Minnesota's version) has basically killed his value with this current season. 6-19? Yikes.