Coaches on the Hot Seat

BC_Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Murray St. jumps into the polls.

Does anyone have any idea how good a recruiter Prohm is supposed to be? He is still the guy I like best on paper, but that question has to be answered first.
That's the question for me as well. If we do go the mid-major route I like Miller or Prohm. Miller is the more proven recruiter but it's hard to ignore the type of numbers Prohm's team puts up (especially the guards).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Good question. The guards in the rotation are:

Cameron Payne, PG, Soph, 3*, 73rd PG in his class, 2014-15 = 20.2 ppg, 5.7 ast, 2.4 to
TJ Sapp, G, Sr, xfer from Clemson, 2014-15 = 11.4 ppg, 2.9 ast, 1.8 to
Justin Seymore, G, Soph, xfer from Utah, 2014-15 = 7.7 ppg, 1.3 ast, 1.3 to

Murray State doesn't have much size, but their big guy is good. I have only seen them once and their forwards are playing outside a lot, similar to us. Payne is only 5-11, but the kid can shoot.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
That's the question for me as well. If we do go the mid-major route I like Miller or Prohm. Miller is the more proven recruiter but it's hard to ignore the type of numbers Prohm's team puts up (especially the guards).

My concern about Prohm is the difficulty in transition that Kennedy had going from Murray St to A&M. I'm sure the details are different, but he took over a winning program and took 4 yrs to get it back.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Good question. The guards in the rotation are:

Cameron Payne, PG, Soph, 3*, 73rd PG in his class, 2014-15 = 20.2 ppg, 5.7 ast, 2.4 to
TJ Sapp, G, Sr, xfer from Clemson, 2014-15 = 11.4 ppg, 2.9 ast, 1.8 to
Justin Seymore, G, Soph, xfer from Utah, 2014-15 = 7.7 ppg, 1.3 ast, 1.3 to

Murray State doesn't have much size, but their big guy is good. I have only seen them once and their forwards are playing outside a lot, similar to us. Payne is only 5-11, but the kid can shoot.

What this says to me is he has an eye for potential and the ability to develop it, which is critical these days, especially with your guards.

Remember Jay Wright went from Hofstra to Nova. Now he didnt land big names at Hofstra but he had good guard play (Speedy Claxton) and was able to recruit guys that fit his style and developed their talents once they got there.

BC_Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
My concern about Prohm is the difficulty in transition that Kennedy had going from Murray St to A&M. I'm sure the details are different, but he took over a winning program and took 4 yrs to get it back.
Agree with what you're saying about Kennedy and have wondered if Prohm would have that same difficulty. Kennedy had health issues his first couple of years at A&M which surely contributed to the slow start. He has them in the tournament this year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Agree with what you're saying about Kennedy and have wondered if Prohm would have that same difficulty. Kennedy had health issues his first couple of years at A&M which could have contributed to the slow start. He has them in the tournament this year.

As well as a top 5 recruiting class coming in.

BC_Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
What about the coach from BYU?? They looked pretty good the other night. High scoring team from what the announcers were saying. Will their HC get any looks?
I'd love to have Rose but highly highly unlikely to happen. He's where he wants to be. Been at BYU since the late 90s (started as an assistant). He did a Mormon mission before joining Phi Slama Jama.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

When considering Bryce Drew, a bit of realism has to be brought into the discussion. Bryce played for Valpo and his shot in the NCAA Tournament in 1998 is the stuff of legends at Valpo. He is the single largest hero there. And his dad preceded him as the head coach. I think everyone assumes he, like his dad, will be at Valpo for life. I wonder if that is actually realistic in today's $2-3 million contracts. From a money standpoint, it is difficult to imagine Valpo paying at that level.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Vadimivich, who staunchly opposed BG's hiring from day one, just posted this on the Scout board. When you take a step back and view it as this perspective, it really makes you want to vomit the most you've vomited to date.

Just a quick comparison - Jeff Bzdelik is widely regarded as one of the worst head coaches in ACC history ... he went 17-51 in ACC play at Wake, didn't recruit and drove that program into the ground.
Brian Gregory is 19-51 in ACC play at GT, hasn't recruited and drove our program into the ground. He's really, truly, one of the worst coaches ever in the modern era of the ACC.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Vadimivich, who staunchly opposed BG's hiring from day one, just posted this on the Scout board. When you take a step back and view it as this perspective, it really makes you want to vomit the most you've vomited to date.

Just a quick comparison - Jeff Bzdelik is widely regarded as one of the worst head coaches in ACC history ... he went 17-51 in ACC play at Wake, didn't recruit and drove that program into the ground.
Brian Gregory is 19-51 in ACC play at GT, hasn't recruited and drove our program into the ground. He's really, truly, one of the worst coaches ever in the modern era of the ACC.

:vomit: Do you realize there are quite a few people still on the fence about keeping Brian too?

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer

That really puts in in perspective. 2nd worse coach EVER in the ACC. That right there should be enough to convince even the staunchest supporters.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I think CBG'S demise was focusing in areas that require effort and want to... instead of focusing his efforts on shooting and setting proper screens and finding a way to get the ball in the bucket easier. That doesn't even begin to mention the recruiting... or lack there of. Tadric will be a good one. He just had an slow start. Jorge is starting to get the speed of college ball he just needs to work on his shot. Lammers has been a big surprise every time he's gotten minutes. Has a very soft looking shot and looks comfortable in the post. Beyond that it gets real iffy. Hopefully a coach will see the space that will be opened up after this next season and jump at the opportunity to build a brand in the ACC with his own recruits and a few promising young players that will have some experience by the time he gets his class in.