Coaches on the Hot Seat

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Which is too bad. Mathews and Terrell would be fun to watch against some top notch competition. They are 11-3 in the A-10 (tied with VCU for first). Its borderline criminal.

Especially when teams that are "in" like A&M get rolled like they did last night.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will say this, both Bobinski's and GT's hiring practices for basketball coaches have been very much in line.
Gregory at 44 was the oldest coach we hired for GT in the modern era - Both Bobby and Hewitt were in their 30's.
All of Bobinski's basketball hires have been young guys between the ages of 33-39.
Given GT's history and what Bobinski has done i would expect a young hire - a hungry up and comer type - not a retread. Those guys are also a little less expensive. Guys like Purnell, Sampson, Howland are not getting hired by GT imo. Pea is correct that GT wouldn't touch Sampson with a 10 foot pole.
The only name on his current list I could see is Joe Dooley.

This is my expectation as well... Your explanation is pretty much spot on for what I am thinking. One thing is certain, whoever is hired, I hope to see them hire a staff of relentless recruiters.

If timed right, they could really capitalize on the in-roads already made by this staff with guys like Robinson, Gilbert, etc. Heck, there is enough time to hunt Simmons as well.

Just like we see the opportunity with next year's squad and the plethora of available ships that next season, the new staff can sell the idea of being part of the turnaround.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So, IF CBG is relieved of his duties at the completion of our ACCT run and a new coach is installed, what is the chance of any of our current assisstants (read specifically: Chad Dollar) being retained by the next regime?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
So, IF CBG is relieved of his duties at the completion of our ACCT run and a new coach is installed, what is the chance of any of our current assisstants (read specifically: Chad Dollar) being retained by the next regime?

Chad Dollar was brought in to tie us into recruiting circles of the SE IIRC. The results pretty much speak for themselves. I would be interested in keeping Herrion though.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd like to replace Dollar immediately with Sharman White in the event of a change. White is now tied in to USA basketball and has been wildly successful at Miller Grove. Would be worth hiring just to bring Gilbert in, but I think he brings way more to the table than that.

I'd also like to see us keep Herrion. If anyone knows, please let me know the last time GT whiffed the jockstrap of an Oak Hill kid. We've got one with an offer and taking a look at another thanks to Herrion.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the problem has necessarily been the asst coachs' ability to recruit, I think the bigger problem has been the HC's ability to close the deal. Winning can mask some of those deficiencies, but, well, we're not winning either. Being able to walk into that living room and leave with a commitment is the head coach's job. If he can't do that, then he has no business being a head coach. Head coaches need to be closers and game managers. Anything beyond that is gravy.

I'm not tied in enough to know which assisstants have been successful. That was part of why I asked the question.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't think the problem has necessarily been the asst coachs' ability to recruit, I think the bigger problem has been the HC's ability to close the deal. Winning can mask some of those deficiencies, but, well, we're not winning either. Being able to walk into that living room and leave with a commitment is the head coach's job. If he can't do that, then he has no business being a head coach. Head coaches need to be closers and game managers. Anything beyond that is gravy.

I'm not tied in enough to know which assisstants have been successful. That was part of why I asked the question.

You could be right in that CBG isn't a closer. However, we're not even on top guys' lists anymore. GT isn't even in a lot of these living rooms anymore. That could be a reflection of the assistants' recruiting abilities?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Most of the current squad is a function of Chad Dollar. The players I THINK are not a result of Dollar's efforts are Jorgy, Lammers, & Heath. I'm uncertain on Sampson or Cox. I think all other scholarship players are via Dollar.

slugboy

Staff member
MBob has made earlier responses. At this point, the only response is BG being relieved of duty the day after the ACC tourney or BG being confirmed as absolutely coming back next year, which there's no reason to make until after the ACC tourney.

This is Bradley's second editorial on the topic. The first was more of a he should probably go editorial.

Pitino isn't necessarily wrong about BG being a good coach. Just turns out he's not that good at this level of competition. I mean you listen to his pre & post game pressers, the man clearly understands hoops. For whatever reason, he just hasn't gotten it done when it counts in games. Part of me wishes a solid Mid-Major job opened up quick enough for BG to stay ahead of the reaper, just don't think it'll happen.
Bradley's NCAA analysis has been nearly worthless this year. I realize that he's trying to drum up interest, but his comparison of Gregory to a weak MLB player batting .490 against Glavine (Mark Fox) should be enough to ignore any opinion he has on coaching--it's idiotic. Gregory beats UGA because he's a better coach than Mark Fox, which says something about their coach.

Riffing off 30 coaches who are better is reasonable, and this should be a top 30 job.

As a sportswriter, you should occasionally have some good analysis to keep your credibility, but that just doesn't seem to be happening anywhere. It's a sideshow.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Bradley's NCAA analysis has been nearly worthless this year. I realize that he's trying to drum up interest, but his comparison of Gregory to a weak MLB player batting .490 against Glavine (Mark Fox) should be enough to ignore any opinion he has on coaching--it's idiotic. Gregory beats UGA because he's a better coach than Mark Fox, which says something about their coach.

Riffing off 30 coaches who are better is reasonable, and this should be a top 30 job.

As a sportswriter, you should occasionally have some good analysis to keep your credibility, but that just doesn't seem to be happening anywhere. It's a sideshow.

The fact that he is correct means his analysis isnt worthless.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From my maybe, maybe not list

Rothstein's got a bunch of useful info today.

Last edited:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tangential news, but Miller Grove just got knocked out of the playoffs after a 32-game playoff win streak. I think Sharman White would be such a good addition in state.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not to be a conspiracy theorist and it's likely a Georgia coaching fraternity thing, but just retweeted by Chad Dollar who hasn't really tweeted much lately