Coaches on the Hot Seat

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That's interesting, especially given the press national coverage. Could it be these guys don't really have a clue?

Noooo, these guys are called experts for a reason, sir. If we can't rely on these guys for news, who can we rely on. Actually, I'm now questioning whether or not the GT job really is open. Maybe BG didn't really get fired? :)

Ok, I've used all my sarcasm for the day.

I'm actually very surprised by the omission. I mean, they have Prairie View A&M on there for goodness sake!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Interesting that they took it down. Given that newspapers want lots of clicks, there must have been serious issues with that article. I read it and did not see anything alarming, but it was one-sided.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
this has been taken down. I wanted to read this too. DAMN!

Wow, that's some ol' bullsh*t. I read most of the interview and the parts I read were pretty damning for Pastner IMHO. Agree with @orientalnc that it was one-sided, however, it was an interview. It's not like it was made-up or based on supposition. The guy asked questions and the player answered.

Basically the kid strongly hinted that Pastner was feeling the pressure big-time. Often said things like, "Hey, I know my job's on the line but let's not worry about that and let's go out and play ....". STTE. Kid said well, if you say that like 5 times in a row, it's hard not to think about it.

Said he got a T in the 1st half of a big game. He wouldn't state explicitly what Pastner said/did (said his playing career would be on the line), but he strongly hinted that his T became the focus of halftime and 2nd half coaching in lieu of actually making adjustments in a game they ultimately lost.

The player was clearly upset at how he was treated and how his career went but toed the line of outright blaming Pastner. Made it abundantly clear that Pastner's attitude changed significantly (to the negative) due to the job pressure.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Speaking of insane buyouts and coaches with disappointing seasons, I saw a story where Minnesota's regents are pissed at the $7MM buyout tied to Pitino the Younger's contract extension (which was signed just before their AD retired). Shades of Dave Braine-less.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Wow, that's some ol' bullsh*t. I read most of the interview and the parts I read were pretty damning for Pastner IMHO. Agree with @orientalnc that it was one-sided, however, it was an interview. It's not like it was made-up or based on supposition. The guy asked questions and the player answered.

Basically the kid strongly hinted that Pastner was feeling the pressure big-time. Often said things like, "Hey, I know my job's on the line but let's not worry about that and let's go out and play ....". STTE. Kid said well, if you say that like 5 times in a row, it's hard not to think about it.

Said he got a T in the 1st half of a big game. He wouldn't state explicitly what Pastner said/did (said his playing career would be on the line), but he strongly hinted that his T became the focus of halftime and 2nd half coaching in lieu of actually making adjustments in a game they ultimately lost.

The player was clearly upset at how he was treated and how his career went but toed the line of outright blaming Pastner. Made it abundantly clear that Pastner's attitude changed significantly (to the negative) due to the job pressure.
The player also said he loved Pastner.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here were two of, what I thought were, the key questions.

Q: Would you run through a brick wall for him?

A: I'd run through a brick wall for him. I feel like whatever leader you have should definitely be 10-toes behind the head coach. I believe in respect the traditional way, you know what I'm saying? I'm gonna ride with him regardless. But still, it's bittersweet because I've still got this stuff on my mind. I've still got the fact that you sat me on the bench last year when I was struggling. When I needed an extra push, I got pulled. So I feel like the bitter part just came with him not trusting and not believing in me. Like, point-blank simple.

Q: When you watch coaches interact with players, sometimes you'll see them put their arm around them and it looks like there's love there, you know? And by the time they're ready to graduate, guys are crying because it feels like it's a family, right? I don't see that much with you all.

A: One of the best feelings of my life was to feel like I could move forward. The feeling that I can move forward. Not so literal, but I felt like ropes were on my back. Now I just feel free. For four years, I felt like I was playing for something that was unstable. Now I feel like I got a solid foundation to play for, because I'm playing for myself. I know what I'm doing.

And you can check the facts on that. We done had four new (assistant) coaches (in his four years at Memphis). Fifteen transfers. And everything else. And two strength coaches being fired. So you can add all that in there, too.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here were two of, what I thought were, the key questions.

Q: Would you run through a brick wall for him?

A: I'd run through a brick wall for him. I feel like whatever leader you have should definitely be 10-toes behind the head coach. I believe in respect the traditional way, you know what I'm saying? I'm gonna ride with him regardless. But still, it's bittersweet because I've still got this stuff on my mind. I've still got the fact that you sat me on the bench last year when I was struggling. When I needed an extra push, I got pulled. So I feel like the bitter part just came with him not trusting and not believing in me. Like, point-blank simple.

Q: When you watch coaches interact with players, sometimes you'll see them put their arm around them and it looks like there's love there, you know? And by the time they're ready to graduate, guys are crying because it feels like it's a family, right? I don't see that much with you all.

A: One of the best feelings of my life was to feel like I could move forward. The feeling that I can move forward. Not so literal, but I felt like ropes were on my back. Now I just feel free. For four years, I felt like I was playing for something that was unstable. Now I feel like I got a solid foundation to play for, because I'm playing for myself. I know what I'm doing.

And you can check the facts on that. We done had four new (assistant) coaches (in his four years at Memphis). Fifteen transfers. And everything else. And two strength coaches being fired. So you can add all that in there, too.
Shaq was a kid I wanted at Tech, but he probably made the best choice from a basketball standpoint. I bet MGH would tell him Tech would have been better from every other perspective.