Coaches on the Hot Seat

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure who we should get, but the person should have experience recruiting in big cities like Atlanta. Recruiting here has got to be different than recruiting in Kansas or Idaho. He should also have experience recruiting 5* and 4* players. Not that he has to have signed a bunch, but understands they have different expectations and experiences with recruiters. Of course, he should have demonstrated an ability to build a team that can win games against good competition. And, he needs to understand Ga Tech expects its student athletes to be successful in the classroom also.

Looks like the checklist that I didn't know I was responding to in my post about Enfield in the Search thread.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
King Rice was an assistant at Vandy, under Fogler, I think. That could help us with Wade. Fogler's a clown.

I think we all agree on Fogler but, for some reason, he's printing money with the search firm stuff. For some reason, I see Drew to Vandy as a bigtime possibility. Seems like a fit.

Jumping to the SEC seems more palatable than jumping into the ACC deep water. I know that sounds like I'm overrating the conference but there are legitimately 3-4 HOF coaches you'd be going against both on and off court. Not so in the SEC.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Jeff Goodman had a seriously funny stream of tweets this weekend about search firms and AD's and what a racket they are.

SEC is not even close to ACC level right now. Gregory could probably finish in the top 6 or so in the SEC.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Non-GT related dirt ...

http://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-32816/

Despite our opening being the best available, there's almost no info being leaked. I kinda like that. Actually, seeing near real-time reports of UNLV's search makes me appreciate ours being conducted with candor all that much more.

Interesting tidbit considering we've been espousing the virtue of the search firm ....
  • Early “hot” name at Stephen F. Austin is Mike Boynton. He’s got a lot going for him on this one…he has been on Brad Underwood’s staff at SFA for the past three seasons (obviously they have been very successful), and he played at South Carolina (for Eddie Fogler who happens to be running the search). More on this one as I hear it.

SFA .... you're about to get ... Fogler'd. Boom. Good luck with that.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Our friend Richie Walsh apparently finally offers an explanation for his reporting of Miller-to-Pitt last week. I saw it on a Providence board while looking for info on Cooley's extension talk. Figured I'd post it here since I lol'd at the guy for about 3 straight days.

I have no idea how to best post this so I'm just copy/pasting it as a quote.

Rich Walsh KDKA
on Wednesday

In the Interest of Transparency

Allow me to explain what happened Tuesday regarding the Pitt Basketball coaching search and the information I reported.

First, I am proud of the reporting I’ve done on Pitt in the past (breaking the Pat Narduzzi, Matt Canada, other football coaches and Scott Barnes hires; reporting the Tyler Boyd DUI arrest first, etc.) and I intend to work hard to be in front on the big stories in the future. That said, on this occasion, there are some things I could have done better and I want you to know I have learned from the experience. I’d like to think I’m a better reporter today than I was yesterday.

So here’s the story. Early Tuesday morning I got a tip that Pitt had offered Sean Miller the coaching job. I learned that they had a conversation and that the job was Miller’s if he wanted it. I confirmed this same information with two solid sources - from both Pitt's side and Miller's side. I was also told that Miller would be in Pittsburgh at some point and things would happen, EITHER WAY, very quickly. (meaning he would accept or turn down job)

Around 2:00pm Tuesday, a different source told me Miller was in Pittsburgh. Looking for further confirmation of this, I called back one of my sources on the earlier information. This source told me "yeah, I told you he would be in town". I took this as confirming that Miller was indeed here. Additionally, 3 to 4 other people "in the know" shared the same information – one even provided what appeared to be rock-solid proof. I regret that I cannot elaborate.

So I went with it. I cannot prove it happened. I regret that I did not nail down exactly WHEN or IF Miller might have visited, and I regret declaring, “Miller is in town now” on Twitter yesterday afternoon. I am sorry.

Let me also make this clear, I NEVER reported that Miller was taking the Pitt job – only that it had been offered to him. I believe this to be 100% accurate. This, too, has gone unchallenged by both Miller and Pitt. Re-read the statement Miller issued after my story went online:

"I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for the University and city of Pittsburgh. My memories and friendships of my time as a student athlete are the best and strongest of my lifetime. However, I have one of the great jobs in college basketball at Arizona. I have no interest in becoming head coach at Pitt. I wish them luck in replacing Jamie Dixon, a tremendous coach and person, who did an incredible job in his time there."

So. This is new for me. My sources have never let me down before, especially on stories dealing with Pitt. I have learned to trust them. We never stop learning, do we?

Was I set up? Used as a pawn? Did I misinterpret information? I have to admit it’s possible. As I said, this episode will make me a better reporter.

I hope this explanation is helpful. Please know, I strive to be an honest, trustworthy source of information and I assure you I will never take your trust for granted. I promise to work hard to earn it every day.

Back to the beat. Thanks for reading!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Nice find.

This reminds me of something that I let myself forget, so shame on me.

Unlike Valpo or UNC-W, VCU has the financial wherewithal to give Wade a significant raise/more resources. Not saying we couldn't match, but it just makes it that much more difficult to land him. Add that to the perceived Clemson risk down the road.

Thinking through that, you'd think Drew is more likely the guy.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Nice find.

This reminds me of something that I let myself forget, so shame on me.

Unlike Valpo or UNC-W, VCU has the financial wherewithal to give Wade a significant raise/more resources. Not saying we couldn't match, but it just makes it that much more difficult to land him. Add that to the perceived Clemson risk down the road.

Thinking through that, you'd think Drew is more likely the guy.

I still see Drew to Vandy as more likely.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is all before 1 or both Lawson kids declare to go pro, which they will, even if they're not ready.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is all before 1 or both Lawson kids declare to go pro, which they will, even if they're not ready.

Oh man, the Tigers're about to feel the pain we've been feeling ... ten-fold. We only had $7MM to deal with. They've got $10+MM!!

My goodness, I would be beating the bushes to find him a better job if I were that AD.