Coaches on the Hot Seat

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

giphy.gif

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There goes one potential spot for BG, but at least we know someone who coaches on par can land a reasonable gig.

Last edited:

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
UNLV contact makes sense but Tulane... That would seem like a mistake to make that move if I were Beard. Guess it can't hurt to try but no way that works out for Tulane.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Looks like UALR's Beard is a hot commodity.

Kudos to him for striking while the iron's hot. I'd still want to see more. Had a great year but hasn't shown he can build/maintain a P5-level program.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Lots of news items here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/colleg...885.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=tw

A lot of eyes are on Georgia Tech as it plays in the NIT this week. The Yellow Jackets are at San Diego State Wednesday; when their season ends it will be up to athletic director Mike Bobinski whether to retain fifth-year coach Brian Gregory. He’s won 21 games this year, the most at Tech since 2009-10 and the third-most in the past 20 years. But the Yellow Jackets have not been to the NCAA tournament under Gregory, and there has been speculation that Bobinski will look for a big-name replacement.

Interesting that SCar's Frank Martin could be in the mix at UNLV?

Also sounds like IowaSt assistant TJ Otzelberger is the likely name at Milwaukee. IIUC, he and their AD are both from the same school in WI and he's been long rumored to be a target of hers. Their odd firing of a guy who just won 20 games makes more sense if she had a target in mind already.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Is there a bigger square peg in a round hole fit than Frank Martin in Vegas? He's a no nonsense kind of guy in the biggest nonsense city in the world.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wonder just how much importance MBob placed on us reaching the NCAA this year? By most measures this season has gone pretty well. 21 wins and CBG has three pretty good recruits coming in (a 4* and two solid 3*) with two (maybe three) slots still to fill. I think you could make a decent case for keeping CBG except for one thing: keeping him without an extension would be a kiss of death for recruiting. And I do not see an extension for him this year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Interesting development in the Drexel search, per dtm's link above ...

Word on the street is that Army head coach Zach Spiker is no longer involved with the search at Drexel. Hearing now that he may be working to get involved at Delaware. Spiker has a clause in his contract in which he would have to pay $140,000 if he terminates his contract before 6/30/16. However, Delaware is one of 5 schools listed that the penalty would be waived for.

@orientalnc I'm not sure what impact an extension would have on recruiting. It's not like the last extension had much impact.