Coaches on the Hot Seat

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Cronin has boots on the ground in Vegas.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2016/mar/23/cincinnatis-cronin-in-las-vegas-to-check-out-unlv/
And he's not just there to play the slots ...
Two black Cadillac Escalades whisked away the 44-year old coach, UNLV Athletics Director Tina Kunzer-Murphy and a few other UNLV administrators and boosters, thus commencing the Cronin courting in Las Vegas. The Rebels plan to offer a contract that would pay reportedly as much as $3 million per season, although even Cronin’s current $1.8 million base package from the Bearcats would be by far the most UNLV has paid a coach.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
An extension doesn't improve BG's ability to generate interest & close top recruits, it mitigates other coaches saying he's not gonna be around to those kids.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Cronin has boots on the ground in Vegas.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2016/mar/23/cincinnatis-cronin-in-las-vegas-to-check-out-unlv/
And he's not just there to play the slots ...
Mick Cronin is a good coach, but if you're gonna pony up $3MM, I feel like you could do better. UNLV still has cache dating back to the Larry Johnson era. Kids like the glitz of Vegas and the best ones play there on the AAU circuit. Also, Guy Fieri is a booster.

Sidenote: I wouldn't see Cincy interested in BG.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Mick Cronin is a good coach, but if you're gonna pony up $3MM, I feel like you could do better. UNLV still has cache dating back to the Larry Johnson era. Kids like the glitz of Vegas and the best ones play there on the AAU circuit. Also, Guy Fieri is a booster.

Sidenote: I wouldn't see Cincy interested in BG.

Guess we know Cronin will eat well on his trip. UNLV has cache even from the last few seasons. They've produced a number of NBA draft picks including, for better or worse, a former #1 pick (albeit unjustified). They have a major prep school in their backyard that's probably ahead of Oak Hill now in terms of producing P5 talent. It's a really good job. Plus (and this probably is just ahead of Fieri on the list of pro's), no state income tax.

Not sure why they had to settle on Rice but at least Cronin is a step up. Agree, not worth $3MM. Also agree Cincy's not a potential BG landing spot.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Apparently no potential coaching list is legit without a Herb Sendek mention. Dude either has the best agent in the world, or he's the college basketball version of Radiohead.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I also cannot believe Rick Stansburys name has not been out there. I know they are still playing but the guy is a solid coach

He should have been Tulanes first phone call.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I also cannot believe Rick Stansburys name has not been out there. I know they are still playing but the guy is a solid coach

He should have been Tulanes first phone call.

Perhaps you need to adjust your stance on Stansbury. I've only seen his name mentioned in passing like once. He'll probably go the way of the Steve Lappas and Pete Gillens of the world (who?). Hard for a retread lacking major tournament success to get picked up in lieu of the 'next' guy.

Is he dirty? I remember the Renardo Sidney mess from his tenure (IIRC).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
An extension doesn't improve BG's ability to generate interest & close top recruits, it mitigates other coaches saying he's not gonna be around to those kids.

Agree 100%, though as you and I both know, an extension isn't designed to improve the coaches ability to close, it's designed to dampen external negative recruiting on one front (the look at his contract, he isn't there for long angle).

The most interesting article to me this morning is the Yahoo sports one. Noting that MBob may be interested in making a big name replacement. That is the first time i've seen that in print. Though i think it is obvious he isn't interested in making another inexpensive hire. Which means to me it all comes down to when does he have the money. If it is this year i think he makes the change no matter what happens in the NIT. if he doesn't have the money then he waits, no matter what happens in the NIT.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Either this guy is on drugs or the Louisiana budget problems are massive.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Either this guy is on drugs or the Louisiana budget problems are massive.

Beat me by 1 minute again, dtm. 1 minute.

I read somewhere that, outside this year, his record there hasn't been bad. It looks like they're gonna stealthily scapegoat Simmons for this past season's failures and hope Jones can get them to 20+ wins and a tournament berth.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Tulane (or similar school) would be lucky to have him.

Only thing I remember about Renardo Sidney is that he was a douche bag.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    330.3 KB · Views: 17

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not shocked on Jones. Massively underperformed this year but his 4 years at LSU are 19, 20, 22, and 19 wins. 1 NIT, 1 NCAA.
Given he is an alum you know he is going to be given a fairly long leash. He's also never finished below .500 in the SEC (which may say more about the SEC than LSU).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not shocked on Jones. Massively underperformed this year but his 4 years at LSU are 19, 20, 22, and 19 wins. 1 NIT, 1 NCAA.
Given he is an alum you know he is going to be given a fairly long leash. He's also never finished below .500 in the SEC (which may say more about the SEC than LSU).
I think dtm is also correct that Louisiana has terrible budget issues. While LSU may not be thrilled with Jones, there is also the chance a replacement would be worse. After all, he was able to convince Ben Simmons that playing for LSU would be in his best interest. There were a lot of years between Shaq and Simmons where LSU did not have the best HS player come to LSU.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think dtm is also correct that Louisiana has terrible budget issues. While LSU may not be thrilled with Jones, there is also the chance a replacement would be worse. After all, he was able to convince Ben Simmons that playing for LSU would be in his best interest. There were a lot of years between Shaq and Simmons where LSU did not have the best HS player come to LSU.

Weeeeel, to be fair, IIUC Simmons' godfather is on the LSU staff and his parents have had a years-long friendship with him so it's not like Jones had some battle to get the kid.

That said, Jones has indeed recruited well thus far. Problem is he's tracking to have relatively minimal results to show for it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Weeeeel, to be fair, IIUC Simmons' godfather is on the LSU staff and his parents have had a years-long friendship with him so it's not like Jones had some battle to get the kid.

That said, Jones has indeed recruited well thus far. Problem is he's tracking to have relatively minimal results to show for it.

Simmons father played pro ball with LSU AC over seas.