Coaches on the Hot Seat

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Fran McCaffery and Kevin Williard are not walking through that door either Pitt fans. Williard might get most of his team back next year and McCaffery has a better job (IMHO)

Just because Pitt was good with JD doesn't mean they are some kind of destination school. He kept you relevant after Howland made you relevant again. Having not been out of the first weekend since 72-73 with only 8 appearances in 30 years.

Sick of Jamie Dixon, these are the program's I root for to fail. Hire Groce. That will be fun for the ACC. Maybe lure Josh Pastner away from Memphis.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Pitt/Dixon
raw

As I like to say, Pittsburgh is an impressively consistent regular season team. As a 'Cuse fan I'll actually somewhat miss losing to them then watching the surefire NCAA flameout to compensate for everything.

Also saw this on the Syracuse board:
Rothstein, on Gottlieb's show (sans Doug) says the new Pitt AD "wants to win at all costs", and will want to make a big splash with this hire.
Presumably that rules out Knight.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Regarding Saint Louis...
http://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-32116/
  • St. Louis: Two great sources have now mentioned Florida Gulf Coast head coach Joe Dooley’s name surrounding this one. The former Kansas assistant has won 21+ games in each of his three seasons at FGCU. He also spent four seasons as the head coach at East Carolina (57-52, 1995-99).

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Dang. Potential BG landing spot...

Also, a potential candidate could be off the board.

• Stanford: Heard from a great source that Tommy Amaker is involved here. The current Harvard coach has also been the head coach at Michigan and Seton Hall. Interesting to see if Stanford would hire another former Duke guard after they dismissed Johnny Dawkins.
  • St. Louis: In today’s first edition of the Daily Dirt, I mentioned FGCU head coach Joe Dooley here. As of this afternoon, the Kevin Stallings rumors are also heating up. He’s still the head coach at Vanderbilt (for now), but I can confirm that there has definitely been contact between him and SLU.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm so confused on UNLV at this point. They've had a 4-month head start to identify their coach, so if Cronin isn't signing, they're idiots.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
WKU still open....

They might go back to a guy from their history, Darrin Horn or Felton, before they go after a middling, lesser name guy.

I'd keep an eye on a place like Dartmouth or Drexel.

ETA: Also, reading more on the Keatts guy, hadn't realized he was supposedly the recruiting coord. during all the (alleged) shenanigans going on at Lville. May be a factor if some places are looking to hire him.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Interesting stuff on Cronin ....
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...coaching-vacancy-with-cincinnatis-mick-cronin

Cronin, a 44-year-old Cincinnati native and UC graduate, has a contract that allows him to make up to $2.2 million per year, according to Cincinnati.com, and UNLV has never paid a men's basketball coach anything close to that figure. In fact, UNLV only paid former men's basketball coach Dave Rice around $700,000 annually. But a source told CBS Sports that UNLV "can probably get to around $2 million a year" in an attempt to lure Cronin from the American Athletic Conference to the Mountain West Conference.

And it should be noted multiple sources told CBS Sports that Cronin has "been looking to move." Thus, UNLV won't necessarily have to overpay to get him, according to a source.
:eek:

Surprised UNLV paid so little. Also surprised Cronin was apparently actively looking to move despite having a +$2MM contract at his alma mater.

Hey, Mick ... give it a year. Jussayin' :D

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, 2 thoughts this morning.
First, i'm not surprised Underwood went to OSU. Figured he'd jump this year and a Big 12 job was most likely given his background.
Second, i'm under no real illusion that CBG is going to leave GT for another job. That is just wishing thinking on our part imo. My belief of what is going to happen is that he is going to be retained and given a 1-2 yr extension (for recruiting purposes) with no change to the buyout and then if things go poorly next year we then make a move.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, 2 thoughts this morning.
First, i'm not surprised Underwood went to OSU. Figured he'd jump this year and a Big 12 job was most likely given his background.
Second, i'm under no real illusion that CBG is going to leave GT for another job. That is just wishing thinking on our part imo. My belief of what is going to happen is that he is going to be retained and given a 1-2 yr extension (for recruiting purposes) with no change to the buyout and then if things go poorly next year we then make a move.

Agree with this.. He is not going to be released after the way that we finished the season.

I think that it plays out exactly like this.. We give him the extension needed on the recruiting trail, but no changes to the buyout.

He turns out a winning record next season, and he probably deserves a long term extension..LOL

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

1) I don't think MBob is going to make a move at this point unless he's quietly amassed some huge level of booster support & monetary commitment (and if you think that's happened, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you).
2) I think the most likely case is in line with what Red has described.
3) That said, in a rare case of modest disagreement, I am under a bit of real illusion BG could jump. He'd be coming off of a great record & NIT run, showing he can still coach & motivate kids to wins. He's essentially campaigned for an extension while expressing disappointment (see Jeff Schultz piece in AJC). Also, there are a number of jobs that are solid & not too big of a step down, while providing a platform for him to regain winning form. Is BG some sort of stellar coach, not at all, but I think being in over his head in the ACC far outweighs how good of a coach he actually is. I think St. Louis & Harvard (if Amaker ends up at Stanford or elsewhere) would be VERY attractive options at a salary not far off from where he is now.

ETA: Short of a Director type position, I'm not sure this would work well.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Smart money is on @RamblinRed and @connell62 being right that he won't jump. Still, the reality is that it'll be easier to sell oneself coming off a good NIT run rather than trying to sell oneself coming off a (potentially) bad season next year.

There's a lot of good, high-academic openings that should be attractive to him right now. Jussayin'