Coaches on the Hot Seat

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
It's a step down in terms of program prestige but he has a nice roster and he's still in a P5 conference.

Collins and Trent are legit backcourt players and both are sophomores. He also gets Washburn, Parrish, Shephard and their big Russian kid back. The cupboard is not bare and he makes the most of what he has
You would also be moving to a "Football" school, taking a back seat to Patterson in almost every category. That has to be frustrating, especially when it comes to funds for assistant coaches and facilities - majority of that cash will funnel into the football program if I had to guess.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
The Cronin to UNLV story doesn't really make sense to me. He's from Cincy, went to Cincy, and has been decently successful. Is UNLV even a step up? I'd put those two programs on close to the same level..

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Cronin to UNLV story doesn't really make sense to me. He's from Cincy, went to Cincy, and has been decently successful. Is UNLV even a step up? I'd put those two programs on close to the same level..

Not sure what Cronin's contract situation is with Cincy, but sometimes agents put word out that a coach is meeting with someone just to kick a raise or extension into high gear. Or sometimes, a "source" is just wrong.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Dixon played at TCU, so he could have a very strong connection.
According to one Pitt site TCU is saying they are willing to double Dixon's salary, which depending upon whether you mean the 'base' or the 'total compensation' is 2 very different things, and his $10MM buyout. So TCU is certainly willing to spend the dough. Note they are 8-60 since joining the Big12.

FWIW, GT has reached out to Tyson Jolly (the SG DTM tweeted from the previous page of asking out of his LOI from Cal). He is from OK, playing prep ball in FL. In a Scout article he mentions he might want to be closer to home so it sounds like someone in the Big 12 is most likely to end up with him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, GT has reached out to Tyson Jolly (the SG DTM tweeted from the previous page of asking out of his LOI from Cal). He is from OK, playing prep ball in FL. In a Scout article he mentions he might want to be closer to home so it sounds like someone in the Big 12 is most likely to end up with him.

Delta via Hartsfield makes everywhere closer...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not sure what Cronin's contract situation is with Cincy, but sometimes agents put word out that a coach is meeting with someone just to kick a raise or extension into high gear. Or sometimes, a "source" is just wrong.

You could be right but IMHO, if he gets on that plane, he's gone unless they (UNLV) just botch the whole process. I can see floating the rumor just to get a raise but going on the meeting is a little much to come back from. Again JMHO.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You could be right but IMHO, if he gets on that plane, he's gone unless they (UNLV) just botch the whole process. I can see floating the rumor just to get a raise but going on the meeting is a little much to come back from. Again JMHO.

I guess the key is whether they're going to him, or he's going to them. I agree, if he's specifically flying out to UNLV that would indicate talks are advanced. However, if UNLV is meeting him somewhere while he's out recruiting or back in Cincy, then it's Cronin investing a couple of hours for more Cincy $$$. There is a lot of smoke on this one in the Twitterverse FWIW.

My reply really wasn't Cronin specific, just a general comment on coach X leaving to go to university Y. It's the coaching silly season where there's more rumors and innuendo than actual movement. Generally, most of it is a result of agents being agents sending messages to employers.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Maybe someone called his bluff and he needed to send a picture of him on the plane. At that point you're committed.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Kinda of a yawn type-a move if you ask me. Ah well, if it happens, Vandy will be looking for a replacement with experience on the academic stage. A coach with ACC experience would do well in that lesser league.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Kinda of a yawn type-a move if you ask me. Ah well, if it happens, Vandy will be looking for a replacement with experience on the academic stage. A coach with ACC experience would do well in that lesser league.

If this comes to pass, I know someone who with a win tonight would be 11-7 against SEC teams the last 12 yrs, not very expensive, used to working at tough academic schools. Just saying Stallings has a 49% career winning percentage against SEC opponents.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The only thing that sucks about this is we won't be able to snag any csat aways from Pitt. Gotta get 'em where we can. Could result in Damon Wilson heading to UGA.

Last edited: