Coaches on the Hot Seat

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A couple of thoughts.

First, announcers/broadcasters/former coaches/former players will never advocate for the firing of a coach, ever (unless they like murdered or seriously abused someone) so don't waste your time worrying about what they say about retaining a coach - it is an automatic reflex. It's a tight community.

Second, no way on Scott Drew.

Third, Martin was in the pool being considered when we hired Gregory - I don't know what it was, but i do know some red flag popped up in his background check that caused GT to drop him from consideration.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
First, announcers/broadcasters/former coaches/former players will never advocate for the firing of a coach, ever (unless they like murdered or seriously abused someone) so don't waste your time worrying about what they say about retaining a coach - it is an automatic reflex. It's a tight community.

I think there's a difference between advocating for someone's firing, and misreading a situation altogether. It's not like CBG is in a Herb Sendek/Tubby Smith type situation where those coaches were actually winning at their previous stops...they just weren't winning at a high level like the fans wanted. CBG, until this year, wasn't winning anywhere near the break even line (seriously, the ACC record is atrocious). This season, which was decent, was accomplished on the backs of a senior laden team who's top 4 scorers won't be back next season. Unless we strike gold in the transfer market, the roster coming back versus our 18 game ACC schedule looks frightening.

I've got no problems with announcers praising a coach for a good season, which CBG has had given his failures at GT. But to advocate for a coach retaining his job when you don't have a grasp on the situation is just as bad as telling fans a coach needs to be fired. It's like a passerby standing outside a store window telling the shoppers inside (fans) to buy produce when the guy standing outside can't see the flesh of the produce rotting from where they're standing.

(BTW...not picking on you RR, just making a comment on announcers and coaches like Pitino who make those type of comments. Sometimes, it's better for them to not even go there.)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
(BTW...not picking on you RR, just making a comment on announcers and coaches like Pitino who make those type of comments. Sometimes, it's better for them to not even go there.)

Agree with all you stated, especially the bolded portion. In the course of the broadcast, the fans displeasure with the guy doesn't even enter the discussion unless the announcer brings it up himself! Just don't even go there.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Techster, I agree with you, but there is no legitimate talk about this by broadcasters - just something they won't do.
They will always find a rationale for a coach to stay. it is pure reflex.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One thing to keep in mind here is that there will always be competing jobs open whenever you decide to make a move. Maybe one year there may be a little more or less, but in general, there will always be a couple of jobs in the same tier that are open. That's sort of why I tend to think of programs in tiers. There are schools whose overall attractiveness is relatively similar, but different coaches are going to feel more strongly one over others based on their criteria and backgrounds.

You can sort of play the game within the conference a little more but even that can throw you surprises. the big issue in the ACC is when will the senior citizen coaches start leaving (K, Roy, Boeheim, Pitino, Larranaga, Hamilton). Right now I don't think any jobs are likely to open on account of the school this offseason, and frankly only 2-3 seems likely to be seriously considered next year.

If you look at each school you can get a sense of where things are
BC - Christian is putting up sub Bzdelik type numbers. He will be in season 3 next year, but the current AD and Pres hired him and they don't seem to care about basketball much. So he could potentially be fired after next season, but i'd wager they give him 4 yrs.

Clemson - Brownwell is in yr 6. They move into the new Littlejohn next season and his contract has a $5MM buyout this season, so he will be back. Next year the contract buyout drops to $3MM and stays there for 2 yrs, so they either make a move after next season or he is likely there until it drops again after 2019.

Duke - K is there until he retires

FSU - Hamilton s getting old, but his recruiting is going very well and they gave him a 2 yr extension last month. His seat could get hot if they don't make the NCAA next year.

GT - Money issue, when MBob feels he has the money he will make a move. If I was a betting man i'd say Gregory is retained and given a 1 yr extension with no change to the buyout after the NIT, but we'll see. No one seems to have a firm read and it looks like it is completely MBob's decision.

L'ville - Pitino is there until he doesn't want to be.

Miami - Larranaga will be there until he retires - i'm thinking 3-4 yrs.

UNC - Roy is there until he retires.

NCST - Gott was hired by Yow so the AD will be slow to make a change. This is the first year he missed the NCAA. His past history suggests he will start to flame out in the next couple of years. Fanbase would be willing to part with him if they can get Archie to come home. If he has a bad season after next year and Archie is available then it could start to heat up, otherwise this is probably pretty cool.

Notre Dame - Brey can stay as long as he wants. Doubt he leaves anytime soon unless Duke tres to hire him to replace K.

Pitt - Fanbase is starting to get a little worn on Dixon but I doubt the school would seriously consider a change. If there is a change here in the next couple of years it will be becuase Dixon left, not because the school initiated it.

Syracuse - Boeheim is there until he retires. They have already named Hopkins coach in waiting.

UVA - Bennett is set for as long as he wants to stay.

VT - Buzz will be here unless he decides to leave to return closer to his roots - will OSU make a play for him this offseason?

Wake - Manning will be going into yr 3. Fanbase likes him but somewhat concerned with his coaching. Recruiting is going well. i'd expect he'd get at least 2 more years until the admin even thought about making a change.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, was looking at Buzz's deal with VT. It is a nice deal for him. Automatic raises every year. After 4 years there is an auto rollover clause.
The buyout is interesting. Last year he would have had to pay $7MM to leave. This year it drops to $3.5MM to leave. After next season $1.5MM.
If someone wants him they are going to have to pay a hefty buyout for him. To me that means only OSU could be realistic as I suspect T Bone could pull that out of his back pocket.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Indeed. I suspect one of either OKSt or TCU will pull the trigger on Brad Underwood. Makes sense. I also expect W.Ky to give Conlon a look. JMHO

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Ben Jacobson has lost some luster compared to last year. In a year with a thin market I would expect him to make a move as well. I do not now anything about his contract though.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mid majors pay well now for good coaches. Big part of the reason good mid major coaches tend to stay at mid majors alot longer now. Why jump to a big rebuild job in a power league where you know you have to produce within 4 yrs or be fired, when you can live in usually a beautiful small town with a guaranteed 7-10 contract that is going to pay you anywhere from $5-10MM over that time and your job security is alot better.

One other note. Keep an eye on Martin at Cal. There are reports that he may have known about the asst situation for 2 months before it got reported and could potentially find himself in hot water out there.
If that pans out that would likely allow Cal to invoke the firing with cause portion of the contract if they choose to.