Coaches on the Hot Seat

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wonder if this means Pugh is back on the board.
or Marcus Sheffield & Josh Sharma potentially in play as transfers.

Coaching Changes thinks the interest in this job will be huge & justifiably so.

ETA: 2 names that interest me for GT, but Amaker over Rhoades, given Rice ain't done **** yet.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Love the UCLA article. A buyout makes no sense for them.
If the coach is successful, there is really nowhere for him to go - unless he wants to jump to the pros - in which case that would likely happen anyways. He''d likely be very happy with everything UCLA can provide. But the school has to pay a large buyout if they want to make a change.

Having it structured for 4/30 is a thing of beauty, likely by Alford's attorney, as it basically guarantees an extra year. It's actually cheaper for UCLA to hang on to him for another year than to fire him - by several million dollars.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That UCLA buyout (and our buyout(s) handling) illustrates a troubling observation. These AD's are either negligent or arrogant/incompetent and are getting it handed to them by coaches' agents. I understand the need for a buyout from most schools' perspectives but you can't deal out of fear.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It feels like CC just picked out about 50 names for Stanford. Way to go.

Yeah, no rhyme of reason. Just copy/pasted names.

@dtm1997 I'm sticking with Cornell. They're dealing with a bit of a scandal too (one player rape allegations, pretty bad). CBG's perfect to lead them through it.

IU-Chicago was perfect last season.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting ideas here. I like the concept of Jay Williams as a head coach. I don't care how much he loves New Jersey though, not sure I'd want that Rutgers gig. I will say though... if he succeeded at Rutgers, he'd jump to the front of the line of potential Coach K successors.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I actually like JWill. Now that he isn't slapping the floor and licking his lips at Tony Akins coming up the court.

Heard him on Opie Radio W/ Jim Norton last week and it made me like him even more.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I actually like JWill. Now that he isn't slapping the floor and licking his lips at Tony Akins coming up the court.

Heard him on Opie Radio W/ Jim Norton last week and it made me like him even more.

I heard him on NBARadio and it was the same. Is honest about Duke, his life, career, etc. He's like a less overbearing, less preachy version of Jay Bilas. Found myself rooting for the guy ... I hated myself for it afterward.

If he can X-and-O at all, he'll do great as a HC.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Holy crap I'm getting old. All these guys I watched playing while I was in middle school are now being talked about as HC at colleges.

I know it. I remember was Stoudamire was a rook with Toronto and he was the only player they had and he would take some absolutely crazy shots. He was a treat to watch.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Would love to have Sheffield come back to Atlanta and GT. He had a solid FR year at Stanford.
I love any players who stats go up in conference play, epsecially a FR. it suggests they are figuring things out.
7.6 ppg in 20 mpg shooting 41% FG, 41% 3FG and 76% FT. I think he would be a great addition after sitting a year. Would almost certainly be a starter at one of the wing positions.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Would love to have Sheffield come back to Atlanta and GT. He had a solid FR year at Stanford.
I love any players who stats go up in conference play, epsecially a FR. it suggests they are figuring things out.
7.6 ppg in 20 mpg shooting 41% FG, 41% 3FG and 76% FT. I think he would be a great addition after sitting a year. Would almost certainly be a starter at one of the wing positions.
I looked back at old recruiting data and could not find that Sheffield ever considered GT. Is that correct?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Some of the posts here seem to suggest that some of you think that CBG might depart for another job elsewhere. I thought one of his strengths was his "never give up" approach to everything in life (including his own job and 18 point deficits against Clemson). Is the idea that he might leave on his own just wishful thinking here, or do you guys seriously think there is a chance...?