Coaches on the Hot Seat

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The biggest problem with BG is his inability to recruit top talent at the ACC level. If GT had a real scoring threat in the low post this year, this team would have been very, very good. We had good rebounding but Jacobs was the only true scorer in the paint. With MGH at PG, we had best scorers on the floor and good strength and size at the position but he lacked true PG quickness. He was well above average at PG overall which was not his natural position, and I am glad he played so well there for us. He was also good at the free throw line which was very important at the end of tight games. Without enough top players, BG will never be in the top tier of the league and so far he hasn't been very good at recruiting. Great players can make up a lot for average coaching. Look at Duke this year. They were one or two really good players short of being exceptional again even with a HOF coach, but they lacked one or two inside scorers to complement the team. We had maybe two or three ACC caliber players on the floor at any one time but we needed two or three more to be really competitive. Relying on transfers will catch up with us at some point. It might be next year unless some surprises pop up.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

giphy.gif

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is a great question. I almost forgot about that.

I have been waiting for it. Does he have a substantial buyout?

Their governor complaining about finances, grandstanding about needing private funds or w/e and threatening to cancel the LSU football season could have something to do with it. Hard for them to cry poor then pay a buyout/hire a new coach.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Their governor complaining about finances, grandstanding about needing private funds or w/e and threatening to cancel the LSU football season could have something to do with it. Hard for them to cry poor then pay a buyout/hire a new coach.

That is 100% true. I hadn't heard anything else about that in a few weeks

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Buyout shouldn't be an issue for LSU - $400K per yr for each remaining year on the contract. His contract currently runs through 2019.
Two potential bigger issues may be he is an LSU alum and with the financial issues in LA, it may look unseemly to have to pay buyout (though I assume boosters would pay it so the state isn't paying a cent).
Also, keep in mind that current AD Alleva hired him so he may be slow to fire.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@kg01 I'd be willing to bet you beat me very soon. There's too much activity & I occasionally leave my desk.

So now you give me the proverbial pat on the head? Gee, thanks. :unsure:

ETA: From a brief perusal of the Wright State board (yes, that's a thing http://wrightstate.proboards.com/board/1), sounds like they wanted him gone oddly enough. Donlon apparently went off on the press at their conference tournament. I can't recall if it was before/after they lost. Apparently he must've been feeling some pressure. Just a weird situation considering, as I said, he was considered a hot name not long ago.

Also, I didn't realize Wright State was in Dayton, OH (and not in Wright state?). Just throwing that interesting fact out there.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Ah, yes the state that's not a state trick.

Similar to the Memphis Grizzlies. Been through that $***hole twice in the past 6 months, and never seen a bear or a tree for it to pee on.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Scathing article on the Donlon firing. Really anti-Wright State. Seems a lot of the details are coming from the Donlon side.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/ne...n-ange/nqmxF/?source=ddn_home&source=ddn_home

Apparently was fired last Friday but the news didn't leak until yesterday which is when the players were informed. Players were informed by the AD (Grant). Donlon had to travel back to the school to meet with the players after the fact. School still won't confirm the news publicly.

The AD hadn't spoken to Donlon basically all season after telling him he had to win the conference title or he'd be gone (per Dan Dakich's tweet). That explains Donlon's rant after their Horizon tournament loss. He knew that was it for him (JMHO).

Former Wright St. coach Brownell had some advice for Donlon a few days ago ...
Brownell, who is close to Grant and especially Donlon, gave his protégé some advice a few days before the firing:

“Get out of there.”