Coaches on the Hot Seat

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I do not expect Gregory to leave on his own.

I don't believe Sheffield and GT were ever serious, GT was all in on his AAU teammate Jaylen Brown so they would have seen him play plenty though. But if he decides he wants to come closer to home I expect GT would be quite interested.
Some of the transfers GT has taken were not kids GT recruited much out of HS, but there was mutual interest afterwards.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Some of the posts here seem to suggest that some of you think that CBG might depart for another job elsewhere. I thought one of his strengths was his "never give up" approach to everything in life (including his own job and 18 point deficits against Clemson). Is the idea that he might leave on his own just wishful thinking here, or do you guys seriously think there is a chance...?

I've definitely been throwing names out there with that in mind. I don't think any of us see him leaving on his own. I hesitate to call it 'wishful thinking' because that just sounds bad considering he's clearly doing all he can to put a winner out there.

However, I do think both CBG and the institute benefit from him taking another job.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I believe he would do well in the Midwest in a conference that doesn't have 4 HOF coaches, another one that is considered a "great coach" and another that is probably the best in that program's history.

It's a tough thing to swallow that pride and move on though.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
St Louis....

Problem is they view themselves on equal or similar footing as us, for better or worse. They're probably looking at the same coaches we're salivating over.

That may not be reality but i don't think they'd be able to sell CBG to their fans.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Problem is they view themselves on equal or similar footing as us, for better or worse. They're probably looking at the same coaches we're salivating over.

That may not be reality but i don't think they'd be able to sell CBG to their fans.
Yeah. You're probably right. I really think he will do well at a Mid West school at that level though. He has strong Mid West ties but I can't see him walking away from here.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK, Jason King's tweet is one of the funniest basketball tweets of the year. He's probably not too far off. That league has invested in some good coaches, but the return isn't there yet.
Interesting to look at the SEC's numbers for the NCAA Tourney the last 8 yrs. Here's the number of SEC teams selected each year.
2016- 3
2015 - 5
2014 - 3
2013 - 3
2012 - 4
2011 - 5
2010 - 4
2009 - 3

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
OK, Jason King's tweet is one of the funniest basketball tweets of the year. He's probably not too far off. That league has invested in some good coaches, but the return isn't there yet.
Interesting to look at the SEC's numbers for the NCAA Tourney the last 8 yrs. Here's the number of SEC teams selected each year.
2016- 3
2015 - 5
2014 - 3
2013 - 3
2012 - 4
2011 - 5
2010 - 4
2009 - 3

Well, RR looks like the SEC has heard your concerns and is making moves to improve. Have hired former Big East commissioner, Mike Tranghese, as a consultant to help improve hoops in that league.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...ese-hired-consultant-sec-save-hoops/81836100/

I have no idea how that could work considering each team is it's own entity. Is he a hiring/firing consultant? Scheduling consultant? Just seems weird to me.

I thought it was odd to see Stallings listed as a guy potentially on the move but it kinda makes sense. He's been there a long time and they've never really taken that next step.