Coaches on the Hot Seat

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So, now we know there will be serious competition for P5 coaching jobs this year. I wonder if that makes improves the chance that CBG will get another year? Is GT a better job than LSU or Oklahoma State?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
So, now we know there will be serious competition for P5 coaching jobs this year. I wonder if that makes improves the chance that CBG will get another year? Is GT a better job than LSU or Oklahoma State?
I don't think that they're better jobs but they have a lot more money than we do to throw around. Especially Ok State.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Bobinski quiet on upcoming Gregory decision

"Georgia Tech athletic director Mike Bobinski declined comment Friday on the decision that lies ahead of him regarding basketball coach Brian Gregory’s job status.
'I’m just not going to talk about it,” he said. “I don’t want to comment on any of those things at this point.' "

Why does anyone think he's going to comment on the CBG situation until after the season If We'd have ended up with 12 wins again, the decison would have already been made, but that isn't the case.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

My belief, and history suggest this, is that GT can be a top 15 to top 20 kind of job. Depends on the coach. We're not a Kentucky/UCLA/Indiana/UNC in that those schools almost recruit themselves because they're basketball royalty. GT can recruit top talent, and we have recruited top talent...top national talent even, not just the top talent in the state. The talent in state is so rich and deep lately, and the talent faucet isn't running out anytime soon. The right guy comes in here and he can tap that in-state talent, along with cherry picking guys nationally, then there's no reason GT can't return to a perennial top 25 team.

Maybe it's my gold tinted glasses, but I still believe the GT basketball brand means something to coaches and recruits. It's just a matter of whether the GT administration is willing to bite the bullet and make some hard decisions. I know the last thing coaches in the ACC want is GT to become a good program...because a lot of schools in the ACC are poaching the talent in our state.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ho hum, James Madison fired their coach. Nothing to see here ...

http://www.nbc29.com/story/31461256/matt-brady-out-as-jmu-basketball-coach

... oh, what's that?
JMU has secured the services of Fogler Consulting and long-time Division I Head Coach Eddie Fogler to assist with the hiring process with the goal of identifying a new coach as soon as possible.
Hmmmm

ETA: Oh, and Richmond is the new GT and Mooney is the new PHew. Crazy how he was supposed to be a savior. Sorry I can't let that go.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What is the record outside of the obviously failure at GT for Fogler Consulting? He must have placed some good coaches if he keeps getting work.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
What is the record outside of the obviously failure at GT for Fogler Consulting? He must have placed some good coaches if he keeps getting work.
These consultant deals are usually just cover for the AD to hire who they wanted in the first place anyway. Lots of stories out there (especially in football) of them either being ignored or just rubber-stamping the AD's choice and collecting their fat check.

It's a good gig if you can get it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

These consultant deals are usually just cover for the AD to hire who they wanted in the first place anyway. Lots of stories out there (especially in football) of them either being ignored or just rubber-stamping the AD's choice and collecting their fat check.

It's a good gig if you can get it.

Yeah, Fogler's found a great niche. Along what a5 said, I think they also act as a blame-buffer for the AD's when a coach doesn't work out.

Lastly, I have failed you both if my intimation wasn't clear that JMU could be a palatable landing spot for another coach who was placed by Fogler's agency.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, Fogler's found a great niche. Along what a5 said, I think they also act as a blame-buffer for the AD's when a coach doesn't work out.

Lastly, I have failed you both if my intimation wasn't clear that JMU could be a palatable landing spot for another coach who was placed by Fogler's agency.

I'm also wondering if that's the right level. I still think the St. Louis job is the right level he'd consider, just not convinced they'd consider him. I think he'd probably do OK again at the A10/AAC level, but would he get looks above the Horizon/Colonial level?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm also wondering if that's the right level. I still think the St. Louis job is the right level he'd consider, just not convinced they'd consider him. I think he'd probably do OK again at the A10/AAC level, but would he get looks above the Horizon/Colonial level?

Yeah, JMU paid in the range of $300M (M = '000', for all the confused engineers ;)) which is a big a step down. That said, he's selling really low based on his tenure here. Options will be limited.

Also read JMU's buyout was only $20M. Sheesh, we wish. Half the board could probably come up with that. I'd need a ski mask but I could probably get it done. :shifty::ninja:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would consider LSU and OSU to be on the same tier as GT. Not better or worse, more a matter of what preferences a coaching candidate has.

Every school will have different strengths and weaknesses and different coaches will weigh those differently.

Having talked to a number or coaches and administrators in the past about this topic it helped to get a sense of what gets weighed.

Probably the least important factor is the current win/loss of the program. Most coaches know schools are hiring because the situation is not that good - otherwise they wouldn't be making a change. Other factors tend to be much more important

Institution support and vision. What is the schools vision for the program, what to they expect? How well do they support the program? Is there money for recruiting and hiring staff? How hard is it to get kids in and keep kids in?

Facilities - what facilities does the school have? what are their plans? How do they stack up against their conference opponents?

Location - How many recruits are close to the school? What is the school like, do kids like it? What conference is it in and how attractive is that conference to recruits?

Finally, one that often gets overlooked- what does my family think? is it in an area that they want to live? are their places where my wife and kids will be happy. This is one that most fans don't even consider, but is actually pretty important.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Finally, one that often gets overlooked- what does my family think? is it in an area that they want to live? are their places where my wife and kids will be happy. This is one that most fans don't even consider, but is actually pretty important.

All of us here should know this one the best because we were a victim of it. Literally.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
All of us here should know this one the best because we were a victim of it. Literally.

Atlanta housewife shopping at Phipps and Lennox, and world class dining when your husband has a "lifetime" contract...Mrs. Hewitt must have thought Atlanta was heaven.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I also agree with KG. Consultants are a great way to diffuse blame. Corporations do that alot. Using a consulting firm gives the AD a buffer to say 5 yrs later that 'hey it isn't really MY fault, this is who was recommended'. It's a crass, weak way to make hires. More protecting your backside than trying to find the best candidate.

I'll add that whenever GT does decide to make a change I will be pretty disappointed if I hear GT has retained such a firm. MBob should not need this.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I know <deep sigh>.
I disagree with the rationale, but it will be used.

It is a debt they have to pay, but it has an effect of potentially limiting how much you can spend on a new coach - that is the rub. If at this time it limits you to paying a little over $1MM, rather than waiting a year or two and being about to pay $1.5MM or $1.7MM or whatever- that is something that has to be weighed as the likely hire at $1MM is not likely worth even making the change.

It IS however real cash....and real cash still does count for something folks.