Coaches on the Hot Seat

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, Leonard Hamilton received a 2 yr extension today from FSU.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...iss-ncaa-tournament-but-gets-2-year-extension

if they fall short of the NCAA this season and they are currently 16-11 and 8 spots behind GT in the RPI, this will be the fourth straight year they have missed.
Article points out they have been recruiting really well the last three years so this may be to buy a little more time.
But it is also a reminder that AD's in general are much slower to make a coaching change than fans are.

Also an interesting article on Ben Simmons and LSU. No coach may be taking a harder hit to his reputation than Johnnie Jones. This is the team with the #1 NBA draft pick, another five star and 3 more 4 stars on its roster and it is not close to being an NCAA team.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...tory-complex-legacy-of-ben-simmons-lsu-career

LSU is 16-12 and currently 91 in the RPI and has 5 losses to teams lower than 100.

Jones is a terrible coach and he's being exposed because his assistant was able to land such a high profile recruit.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IF for some insane reason Wisconsin doesn't retain Greg Gard...seems like an interesting candidate at...

Was not a fan of that style at first while Wisky was under Bo Ryan, but have to say, they just develop their not overly recruited players and they WIN.

Wisconsin is on a ROLL in the B1G the last 10 games. Seems like Gard is finding his footing, and continuing what Ryan left.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our little win streak is helping. I don't understand how Memphis is only 3 flame emojis right now. They just lost again, I think.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
IF for some insane reason Wisconsin doesn't retain Greg Gard...seems like an interesting candidate at...

Was not a fan of that style at first while Wisky was under Bo Ryan, but have to say, they just develop their not overly recruited players and they WIN.

Wisconsin is on a ROLL in the B1G the last 10 games. Seems like Gard is finding his footing, and continuing what Ryan left.

I could see Wisky going in a different direction. I didn't realize Ryan leaving when he did was (allegedly) to force Alvarez to have to name Gard coach in the interim. Forde theorizes that they'll take a shot at Bennett although I'd be surprised he'd leave ACC country.

I wonder if Gard is too entrenched in B1G-country to do well down here?

Our little win streak is helping. I don't understand how Memphis is only 3 flame emojis right now. They just lost again, I think.

You questioning emoji-science, dtm? How dare you?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would expect to see Wisc at least make a run at Bennett since that family is coaching royalty in WI. If they reach out quietly and he says no then I think Gard will likely get to keep the job for good. He's done a good job this year.

I wonder if the 3 flames for Memphis is due to the buyout. $10.6MM is alot to choke on for any school.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't really have a good place to put this, so I'm gonna put it here. When I first saw this posted, I didn't really want to read a rehash of this, but would love to hear thoughts on what you read between the lines.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Don't really have a good place to put this, so I'm gonna put it here. When I first saw this posted, I didn't really want to read a rehash of this, but would love to hear thoughts on what you read between the lines.

Did not appreciate what was said... calling out the team and what not

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Did not appreciate what was said... calling out the team and what not
It didn't feel like to me he was calling out the team, per se. The bit at the beginning where he describes MD's frosh as reminding him of himself and seeing them play and come together better than at GT struck me more as a not-so-subtle criticism of development and coaching practices and techniques, not so much of coaching or team personnel.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If BG gets us in the postseason (NIT-good chance)(NCAA- will take some luck) He will not be let go. I have been as hard on BG as anybody but he does things the right way, He graduates players, has a good recruiting class for next year, and his players fight and never give up. He has been burned and his inability to find a PG has hurt big. It took him to long to figure out our best lineup which has looked good the last few weeks.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If BG gets us in the postseason (NIT-good chance)(NCAA- will take some luck) He will not be let go. I have been as hard on BG as anybody but he does things the right way, He graduates players, has a good recruiting class for next year, and his players fight and never give up. He has been burned and his inability to find a PG has hurt big. It took him to long to figure out our best lineup which has looked good the last few weeks.

I agree, but we must remember that our opp has not been as strong the last few weeks. We'll see how the new lineup looks next week vs LOLvl and pitts.

I don't count us out, so we'll see.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but we must remember that our opp has not been as strong the last few weeks. We'll see how the new lineup looks next week vs LOLvl and pitts.

I don't count us out, so we'll see.

He used the lineup to beat UVA and then again at ND but we lost and for some strange reason went away from it until recently. Also like how he is using the bench now.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
He graduates players, has a good recruiting class for next year.

3 things. Not necessarily directed at this font but in general

1-BG is not the only mfer in CBB who graduates players so let's stop acting like he is some golden boy in this territory

2-He has a good recruiting class next year.......compared to his other 3 classes. Let's not forget last time he brought in a decent class only 1 of the 4 made it to senior year

3-Just because we played a front loaded schedule and are now winning (which I love) doesn't mean he has it figured out. I am hoping to get that coveted last 12 or maybe a P5 13 seed right now and make some noise because next year makes my stomach turn.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Honestly, as much as I would like to see a change, I don't think his seat has been all that hot and there has been no point during this season where I felt the likelihood of change was over 50% and the last 3 weeks has certainly decreased the odds.

Until the buyouts go down more I don't think a change is made. My belief has been after next year (which I expect to be a weak year) I think a change will be made.
if we area really lucky maybe they can really catch fire at the end of this year to the point that some of the local class of 2017 wants to come and then a new coach can hang on to them.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Honestly, as much as I would like to see a change, I don't think his seat has been all that hot and there has been no point during this season where I felt the likelihood of change was over 50% and the last 3 weeks has certainly decreased the odds.

Until the buyouts go down more I don't think a change is made. My belief has been after next year (which I expect to be a weak year) I think a change will be made.
if we area really lucky maybe they can really catch fire at the end of this year to the point that some of the local class of 2017 wants to come and then a new coach can hang on to them.
I agree with you, but today didn’t help much. Of course, all will be forgiven if we beat UL.