Coaches on the Hot Seat

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
FWIW **** Vitale just said that Wisconsin has posted the coaching job which he says leads him to believe it is only a matter of time before Gard is named the permanent coach.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am afraid this is as good as it gets with BG. He is playing a power lineup now with MGH at point and the team relies on him for penetration. He is strong to the basket but not really that quick. This team can rebound and has pretty good shooters with Q and Adam along with MGH. However the inside offense is below average in the ACC and is a good rebounding team. I just don't see BG ever having a better combination of player skills than he has now. Who will replace the points from MGH and Adam next year? I don't see anyone on the bench that will replace their scoring (pts/game). It will be a long, long season next year. We are still in the bottom half of the ACC this year with his best team so far, and we will remain there as long as BG remains. The only way he stays another year is strictly a financial decision by MBob. BG should not get past another year, and it remains to be seen if he stays after this one. Two coaching missteps stood out today, 1. late in the game a BC player went after the ball near mid-court and fell down while we worked the clock with a 4 or 6 pt lead and shot clock below 10 seconds. That gave a quick 5 on 4 advantage, and we did not immediately attack the basket to exploit that advantage, and 2. we had an inbounds on our baseline with about 3 seconds on the shot clock and never got a shot off because our player(s) did not realize the time left even though it was right in front of our bench. We were very fortunate to win today the way we executed the last 5 minutes of the game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am afraid this is as good as it gets with BG. He is playing a power lineup now with MGH at point and the team relies on him for penetration. He is strong to the basket but not really that quick. This team can rebound and has pretty good shooters with Q and Adam along with MGH. However the inside offense is below average in the ACC and is a good rebounding team. I just don't see BG ever having a better combination of player skills than he has now. Who will replace the points from MGH and Adam next year? I don't see anyone on the bench that will replace their scoring (pts/game). It will be a long, long season next year. We are still in the bottom half of the ACC this year with his best team so far, and we will remain there as long as BG remains. The only way he stays another year is strictly a financial decision by MBob. BG should not get past another year, and it remains to be seen if he stays after this one. Two coaching missteps stood out today, 1. late in the game a BC player went after the ball near mid-court and fell down while we worked the clock with a 4 or 6 pt lead and shot clock below 10 seconds. That gave a quick 5 on 4 advantage, and we did not immediately attack the basket to exploit that advantage, and 2. we had an inbounds on our baseline with about 3 seconds on the shot clock and never got a shot off because our player(s) did not realize the time left even though it was right in front of our bench. We were very fortunate to win today the way we executed the last 5 minutes of the game.

Your content is too good to hide behind no paragraphs. Tifwiw.

The only thing I wonder is whether that 3sec shot clock inbounds was a clock error. I think the bc guy got possession and stepped out. Shouldn't the clock reset on change of possession? Your point stands that we didn't manage that clock well.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
It will be a long, long season next year. We are still in the bottom half of the ACC this year with his best team so far, and we will remain there as long as BG remains. The only way he stays another year is strictly a financial decision by MBob. BG should not get past another year, and it remains to be seen if he stays after this one.

I will be pretty surprised if Gregory is fired after this year, just as I will be surprised if he can field a team next year that wins more than 5 games in the league. Next season it all falls apart and Gregory is let go.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I will be pretty surprised if Gregory is fired after this year, just as I will be surprised if he can field a team next year that wins more than 5 games in the league. Next season it all falls apart and Gregory is let go.

If we win more than 2 (barring some very impactful transfers) Ill be shocked. 2016-17 this program hits rock bottom IMHO.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

We knew he would be back.

Wishful thinking especially after the $$$ surplus announcement. The huge (in reality modest) winning streak has put that baby to bed though. BG will be back.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A part of me really admires the job he has done with this team. But, the ACC schedule requires that we upgrade our program or accept the mediocre results of the past ten years. Maybe it won't be this year, but the end is coming soon.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
A part of me really admires the job he has done with this team. But, the ACC schedule requires that we upgrade our program or accept the mediocre results of the past ten years. Maybe it won't be this year, but the end is coming soon.

Great point. He's done an excellent job this year. Doesn't change the state of things overall.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He's done a good job with a very mature group. Calling this year an excellent job is a stretch. A higher quality coach would probably have us over 20 wins already.

I do commend him for the more enjoyable offense. Meanwhile, the defense has kinda gone to hell at times (a lot).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He's done a good job with a very mature group. Calling this year an excellent job is a stretch. A higher quality coach would probably have us over 20 wins already.

I do commend him for the more enjoyable offense. Meanwhile, the defense has kinda gone to hell at times (a lot).

Yeah, I knew I'd regret that 'excellent' as soon as I hit send. Can I go back and replace that with 'commendable'? :unsure:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah, I knew I'd regret that 'excellent' as soon as I hit send. Can I go back and replace that with 'commendable'? :unsure:
I said I admire the job he has done with this team, but I should have been more explicit. I admire that he has kept them together when it would have been a much easier path to let this season play out, accept the buyout deal from the AA, and move on to his next job. But he actually worked harder trying to find different ways to win games and getting the players to buy in to their capacity to improve. And, "improve" is not easy for seniors three quarters of the way through their final season.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While there were whispers that CBG was told he had to make the NCAA or be replaced, I doubt that will happen. Sort of harder due to the optics of replacing a coach after their best season.
As I said last spring, I think he is here for at least 2 more years so I hope 2015-2016 ends up being a pretty good one as the following one is likely to be one of the worst.

Not alot of coaches that are really ringing my bell this year, and a couple in particular I would like to see for another year before deciding if i think they are good enough.

FWIW, Forbes was part of the staff at TN that got in hot water with the NCAA under Pearl, so I wonder if his name will come up seriously when GT does open.

I'm still intrigued with Brad Underwood at Stephen F Austin. In 3 yrs, in admittedly a weak league, he has a 87% win rate including 51-1 against conference teams with 2 NCAA appearances and a third this year unless they are upset in the Southland Tourney.
He's not #1 on my list, but he is on the list of guys i'd be interested in looking at.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Next year we will be tested as a fan base.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Checking with the judges...

They'll allow it.

Commendable it is.

What does Steve Prohm or Mike White do with this team?
I said I admire the job he has done with this team, but I should have been more explicit. I admire that he has kept them together when it would have been a much easier path to let this season play out, accept the buyout deal from the AA, and move on to his next job. But he actually worked harder trying to find different ways to win games and getting the players to buy in to their capacity to improve. And, "improve" is not easy for seniors three quarters of the way through their final season.

Tragedy here is you had to go 2-8 in the first 10 before significant change was made

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
While there were whispers that CBG was told he had to make the NCAA or be replaced, I doubt that will happen. Sort of harder due to the optics of replacing a coach after their best season.
As I said last spring, I think he is here for at least 2 more years so I hope 2015-2016 ends up being a pretty good one as the following one is likely to be one of the worst.

Not alot of coaches that are really ringing my bell this year, and a couple in particular I would like to see for another year before deciding if i think they are good enough.

FWIW, Forbes was part of the staff at TN that got in hot water with the NCAA under Pearl, so I wonder if his name will come up seriously when GT does open.

I'm still intrigued with Brad Underwood at Stephen F Austin. In 3 yrs, in admittedly a weak league, he has a 87% win rate including 51-1 against conference teams with 2 NCAA appearances and a third this year unless they are upset in the Southland Tourney.
He's not #1 on my list, but he is on the list of guys i'd be interested in looking at.

My list has shrunk to two only because I think they are actually possible. Mack and Miller are pipe dreams and I expect Enfield is as well as USC can offer more and is more attractive.

1-Jerod Haase
2-Bryce Drew

End of list.

Can't get one of those wait another year. No move is better than a terrible move.

Guys I wish would be interested in us would expand that list to:

Krystowiak
Enfield
Dunlap