Coaches on the Hot Seat

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Do we take a shot at King Rice or is he holding out for UNC to realize Roy isn't a good coach (and quietly oust him)?

It's crazy how many candidates there were last year. There aren't many now. I'm holding out hope IU loses their minds and jettisons Crean.

Who the heck is Dunlap?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Rice just signed an extension with Monmouth within the last 7 days or so. I assume he is staying put for at least 1-2 more years.

Mike Dunlap is the current coach at Loyola Marymount. Assistant at St Johns that took over when Lavin got sick and parlayed that into the head coaching gig for the Charlotte Bobcats. He is a multiple time champion at the D2 and D3 level.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Rice just signed an extension with Monmouth within the last 7 days or so. I assume he is staying put for at least 1-2 more years.

Mike Dunlap is the current coach at Loyola Marymount. Assistant at St Johns that took over when Lavin got sick and parlayed that into the head coaching gig for the Charlotte Bobcats. He is a multiple time champion at the D2 and D3 level.

I saw the extension, I just figured a GT position trumps anything Monmouth can do.

lol I looked at Loyola when I saw your recommendation and assumed it must be someone else when I saw their record. Has a good track record for sure. Just hoping for more of a 'wow' guy. Dunlap would feel like when UGA hired Fox. Meh-ish.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Either of those 2 would be a pretty solid hire. I have a hard time choosing between them.
Haase has strong ACC connections already from UNC and is in the SE, so probably good for recruiting.
Bryce has done nothing but win since taking over for his father. 4 seasons of 22 or more wins in 5 yrs. He also spent 6 yrs in the NBA. I might actually prefer him slightly from a pure coaching standpoint. interesting note - Drew's wife is a former Atlanta Hawks cheerleader.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pure speculation on my part, but I think Hubert Davis is being groomed for the UNC gig. I think that was what got him on the bench from the announcer's table. Why do it if that's not the end game?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I saw the extension, I just figured a GT position trumps anything Monmouth can do.

lol I looked at Loyola when I saw your recommendation and assumed it must be someone else when I saw their record. Has a good track record for sure. Just hoping for more of a 'wow' guy. Dunlap would feel like when UGA hired Fox. Meh-ish.

I was hoping more Bo Ryan than Mark Fox ;)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Another interesting name, Pat Kelsey at Winthrop. Former Xavier player, coached under Mack (XU) and apparently Skip Prosser.

Another, Kevin Keatts at UNC-Wilmington

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of Haase. Latest Bracketology has them as a 15 against MSU. That's a tough draw for a 2 seed although MSU should win handily if it were to happen

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

LOL. My first reaction was Rice's coach is named Rhoades, iirc.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I doubt the consensus on this board means much. We all thought CBG was gone after last season. Now we think he'll get at least one more year. When it comes to our predictions, "Past Performance is Not Necessarily Indicative of Future Results."

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While I agree the collective consensus of this sight doesn't mean anything, I think the general rationale is easy.
When MBob can get rid of the buyouts and make a competitive move, he will do so, until he can he will retain CBG.
With that said, he would basically have to make a decision next year as CBG will be down to 1 yr left on his contract. Frankly, the decision should be made this year whether to extend (with only 2 yrs left on the contract), but i doubt he does that.

This actually would be a good year to make a change if GT can swing the finances. You have a solid threesome coming in that should hold some appeal for a new coach willing to work hard to retain, and would likely have at least 4 schollies to give out in a very talented GA class of 2017 - which would be a relatively easy class to recruit as you get to sell your future vision, not past results as a brand new coach - which is why first yr coaches often have strong classes. if they are smart enough to hire the right assistants to get in the doors, they actually have an easier sell since it can be based less on past results and more on future ones.

Finally, i'll add that if Heyward leaves after this year i would strongly try to bring in 2 grad transfers (which would still leave 4 for 2017) with 1 guard and 1 post.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Playing the long game and assuming a change after this season is not likely but after next season is, coaches I would be very interested in assuming they haven't taken a job this off season
Bryce Drew - Valpo
Jerrod Haase - UAB
Wil Wade - VCU
Brad underwood - Stehpen F Austin

If we have a little more money add Andy Enfield to that list.
Obviously Mack and Miller would be at the top, but i'm guessing despite the ties both have to MBob, it will be very difficult to get either as both can likely wait for a more blue blood job to open

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That would be an extremely disappointing list of candidates if we put off making a coaching move another year.

None will win the 'press conference' necessarily but each is an upgrade IMHO. Both Haase and Drew have nice pedigrees. Underwood has done a great job at SFA. He's a little on the old side if you ask me. The gem would be Wade who is an up-and-comer we'd be lucky to get. (Now @dtm1997 is giving us the side-eye for suggesting plucking him from VCU.)

I think the takeaway is that the 'name' guys aren't really there this time around. Most of them took jobs last cycle. That said, established (i.e. bigger name) guys can always shake loose. No one saw Buzz Williams leaving Marquette when he did. No one say Beilein leaving WVU when he did. Who knows who's really 'available'.

I've mentioned Crean a few times but it looks like IU may be poised to make enough noise to quiet his detractors there.