Coaches on the Hot Seat

natureboy

Georgia Tech Fan
To kg01 and Pecone36, you both claim to like UAB but again, Tech doesn't play a Metro schedule, and two, who should be impressed about beating FAU and Auburn?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
To kg01 and Pecone36, you both claim to like UAB but again, Tech doesn't play a Metro schedule, and two, who should be impressed about beating FAU and Auburn?

Well, it's probably more that I dislike the current GT coaching situation more than I like UAB. That said, you have a decent point. Unfortunately, we're not hiring Calipari or some other ultra-proven commodity based on the peek we have into GT's money situation. IOW, it'll likely be an unproven guy from some lower division/conference so his record will likely be unimpressive w.r.t. 'names' he will have beaten.

That said, pulling a guy like Neal from New Mexico would be more impressive considering his wins are coming in a much tougher conference and will likely include another postseason berth. I may be selling myself on him since, like most have posited, we're not going to be able to pay a more proven, bigger name guy.

I have a pipe dream that Gregg Marshall will ride off into the Wichita sunset with his current crop of seniors that have brought him so many wins there. Land in our laps wanting to give it a go in the ACC. Shut-up all you naysayers, I can dream.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thinking aloud about how we could move on our coaching change in the near term without giving a huge pay increase to the incoming coach:

Go to someone like Haase with a proposal to guarantee financial rewards if he is successful in building our program back to the top half of the ACC in three years and the top quarter in five. That timeline will coincide with the end of Hewitt's and CBG's buyouts. If he hits the three year mark successfully, increase his contract by the amount of next season's CBG buyout (~$500K). That will amount to deferred compensation. If the five year mark is also made, bump it up by that amount again. Still more deferred comp. Corporations do this all the time with CEO compensation when bringing in outside talant. There is no reason for us to be different.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Thinking aloud about how we could move on our coaching change in the near term without giving a huge pay increase to the incoming coach:

Go to someone like Haase with a proposal to guarantee financial rewards if he is successful in building our program back to the top half of the ACC in three years and the top quarter in five. That timeline will coincide with the end of Hewitt's and CBG's buyouts. If he hits the three year mark successfully, increase his contract by the amount of next season's CBG buyout (~$500K). That will amount to deferred compensation. If the five year mark is also made, bump it up by that amount again. Still more deferred comp. Corporations do this all the time with CEO compensation when bringing in outside talant. There is no reason for us to be different.
I agree...we need to think outside the box and get a coach in here that can turn this thing around.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here is the current Haase contract:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/check_out_uab_coach_jerod_haas.html

I give to the UAB alumni athletic fund, but I can promise you it has nowhere near the assets of the AT fund, and never will. They had a big drive last year to raise money to reinstate the FBS football program. They are in a tight revenue situation right now. Haase would be a nice steal.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I understand all of the budget dynamics in play. dtm has so thoroughly pointed this out to us many times, but I just don't see how we can go into next season with the same staff in place.

Bobinski is gonna have to get creative and come up with some $ from somewhere. If you ask me, it would be virtually impossible for the program to rebound (no pun intended) for several years if BG is retained.

Not sure on the names that should be on the list, but whoever it ends up being, will have as much work to do off the court with the fan base and brand image as it does on the court.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I didnt put those wins in there for you to be over the moon impressed. Those are just two of the better teams on their schedule and they beat them. Are you impressed with the Iowa St win last year? Having paid very close attention to that game (ISU in the E8) i can tell you i certainly was. Not to mention the fact that had a record petty close to .500 and ran the conference tournament to get there.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I understand all of the budget dynamics in play. dtm has so thoroughly pointed this out to us many times, but I just don't see how we can go into next season with the same staff in place.

Bobinski is gonna have to get creative and come up with some $ from somewhere. If you ask me, it would be virtually impossible for the program to rebound (no pun intended) for several years if BG is retained.

Not sure on the names that should be on the list, but whoever it ends up being, will have as much work to do off the court with the fan base and brand image as it does on the court.
The move has to be made now. Kudos to Bradley for stating it. The fan apathy would be so bad if he is retained that the program might never recover. Actually if I was Bobinski I would issue the ultimatum this week, make the NIT or NCAA or you are fired. Leave no doubt. Bobinski has to show some kinda of leadership because right now he is useless.

natureboy

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey Pecone36, I did like the Iowa State win UAB had last year, but let's be real, the "program " needs to hire the best coach available. And hey,let's stop with the financial constraint talk because Tech can come up with a creative package to get a good coach here. I just want the best available.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
"Should Bobinski seek to stay his hand and pinch pennies — Gregory’s buyout is $1.343 million, down from the $2.4 million of a year ago; it would shrink to $537,500 after next season — the effect on Tech basketball could be devastating. According to Rivals, seven of the nation’s top 80 recruits for 2017 will hail from Georgia, No. 1 prospect Wendell Carter Jr. of Pace Academy among them. The possibility of a wipeout season capped by a coaching change would surely make most heralded locals look elsewhere." Mark Bradley, ajc.com

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Is it possible that MBob was actually putting feelers out and gauging interest at our pricepoint at the end of last year and came back dry?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Hey Pecone36, I did like the Iowa State win UAB had last year, but let's be real, the "program " needs to hire the best coach available. And hey,let's stop with the financial constraint talk because Tech can come up with a creative package to get a good coach here. I just want the best available.

I keep seeing people say this like the Institution can just rub it's hands together and make money appear. The basketball program is not an independent business it runs on a budget set forth by a much larger operation.

I once thought like this and it was made clear to me that the BB program will never pay its coach more than its FB program.

natureboy

Georgia Tech Fan
Great post abuzz, I wrote about this before that this year is very,very critical. We must replace Gregory at season's end, so here are my best three replacements....1.Archie Miller, Dayton...probably would love to come and coach against the best, and put his stamp on turning the program around. Plus great recruiter, with recruiting base in own backyard. 2. My wildcard, Kevin Stallings. Now I know you're like "what ", but knows what it takes on an academic standpoint, probably tired of Vanderbilt anyway, and not that bad of a coach. ..and 3. My aces high hire... Bryce Drew, Valparaiso...young, very low salary, and might just want to make the big jump to the big stage. Also if he's successful (only 41) won't have to worry about looking for a younger replacement.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
What about Mark Price? He can't be any worse than BG. He is 4-2 in his last 6 games and he has zero talent on that roster. And he won't cost a lot of money. Finally, I have to believe that he can improve our point guard play.

LibertyTurns

Banned
OK, last year it wasn't worth $2.4M plus the delta in whatever salary we'd have to pay a replacement coach.

Now you have to ask your self whether it's worth $1.3M plus probably a larger delta in salary.

Another factor is we probably demanded to see improvement in the program year over year. Can you honestly say we haven't seen any this year? Seems to me like he's delivered on what was demanded. Who's to say he couldn't generate a repeat performance next year?

I think if he hasn't gotten us to the tourney by year 3 of his "second chance tour" we should seek out a replacement. You can make a solid argument for next year, but if in 2 more years we'd not on a solid upward trajectory then he's got to go.

If it doesn't happen by then (assuming we stay at the same level), maybe we're looking at a 2 person deal. I'd can the AD first if he can't bring himself to do what's required when the time comes.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We are 12-10. Well on our way to another 14/15 win season.

I see no improvement over natural progression of a team that gains experience over time. Next year we go tumbling back down the hill to start back up again.

Repeating the same action over and over again expecting different results is considered insanity.

natureboy

Georgia Tech Fan
If you guys have ever seen Godfather, remember the scene where Mike said, "Salaazo is the deal breaker here,we got to get rid of him ",meaning we have to fire Gregory, no matter what.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
We are 12-10. Well on our way to another 14/15 win season.

I see no improvement over natural progression of a team that gains experience over time. Next year we go tumbling back down the hill to start back up again.

Repeating the same action over and over again expecting different results is considered insanity.
... Sisyphus