Coaches on the Hot Seat

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Welp... this escalated quickly.

A nice list of candidates, but nobody particularly original and/or attainable.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
3 guys we probably can't afford, a former player who hasn't shown much, a former great who has 20 or so games under his belt, and a former Puke player who was destroyed during his time in the big 12.

1-Larry Kristowiack-Utah-(I know, but you have to call)
2-Mike Dunlap-LMU-He's a LMU alum but I can imagine it's his final destination
3-Jarrod Haase-UAB-Knocked ISU out of the tourney last year. 20-4 this year.
4-Ben Jacobson-NIU-not great overall this year but have beaten UNC, ND, and Iowa St.

Again, in the end I don't think it will matter.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not getting too caught up in this, but for some early names, assuming my Mack and Miller fantasies are just that.
Andy Enfield - USC (making just over 1M per yr) - will get USC to NCAA this year. HC stint at Florida Gulf Coast that included a Sweet 16, former FSU asst
Jerod Haase - UAB - (making 1M per yr) - made NCAA last year beating ISU as Pea said, Team is 20-4 and 10-1 in conf USA this year. Former Kansas and UNC Asst.
Bead Underwood - Stephen F Austin - (making 400K per yr) - once again undefeated in the Southland Conference, has lost 1 conference game in 3 yrs. Former asst to Frank Martin at K ST and SC-e

First 2 would be higher on my list than #3.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm not getting too caught up in this, but for some early names, assuming my Mack and Miller fantasies are just that.
Andy Enfield - USC (making just over 1M per yr) - will get USC to NCAA this year. HC stint at Florida Gulf Coast that included a Sweet 16, former FSU asst
Jerod Haase - UAB - (making 1M per yr) - made NCAA last year beating ISU as Pea said, Team is 20-4 and 10-1 in conf USA this year. Former Kansas and UNC Asst.
Bead Underwood - Stephen F Austin - (making 400K per yr) - once again undefeated in the Southland Conference, has lost 1 conference game in 3 yrs. Former asst to Frank Martin at K ST and SC-e

First 2 would be higher on my list than #3.
Just three hours ago I declined to add my bit, but seeing the coach at my alma mater listed twice adds to the temptation.

Jerod Hasse has done a fine job at UAB and deserves credit for that. I always thought this was his entry level position when he took the job, with returning to Kansas as his ultimate goal. But, unless Bill Self bolts to the NBA or is lured back to Oklahoma State by their big donors, he will be at Kansas another 12-15 years. I was one of the alums cheering Haase's hire at UAB and would do the same if he came to Tech. I would be nervous that he might leave at almost any time, but think he could turn the program around. Caveat: Recruiting at UAB has a decided advantage over GT in that almost anyone willing to pay attention can be admitted and can stay in school there. Without ever seeing a Calculus book.

I love Andy Enfield as well. Whether he would see GT as an promotion over USC is a question. It could be that his background in the ACC footprint would make GT an attractive career move. And he can really coach.

I am less a Brad Underwood fan because I think we need someone who would give us a real spark in local recruiting circles. I don't think his resume would do that like either of the other two, or either of the two former Duke guys we have mentioned.

I like Chris Mack a lot, but I wonder why he would leave Xavier except for a big payday. He has turned down other offers to leave. Could we offer him a lot more than he's making Xavier. Maybe, but I doubt is would be enough more to get him to leave a comfortable place for his family. They are both Ohio natives and Cincinnati is a nice place to live.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let's start a go fund me page and get on with it. It's time to make the change!

Start a fund me page to fire Bobinski too. I'll contribute to that one. He was supposed to be the basketball guru and gave BG the extension. Forget the fact that Bobinski didn't hire BG; it was worse to extend BG when he hadn't proven himself than it was to take a flyer on hiring BG cheap. Actions should have consequences.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Gimme Haase at this point. Has done well there. I recall hearing him interviewed right after being hired there and was pretty inpressed TIFWIW.

Also pretty funny @orientalnc bowed out of the discussion only to get dragged back in. Lol

natureboy

Georgia Tech Fan
Haase would do "nothing "in the ACC. UAB hasn't played anybody this year, so they should have a good record against a "creampuff " schedule. Gotta hope Dumbinski can lure either Archie Miller (good recruiter,good X and O coach, or Ben Jacobson (good with guards, good Xtra and O coach.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You can only play who is on the schedule. They played AU and VT tough and have beaten SFA and MTSU.

Follow up that comment with Jacobson, who is on my list because there is basically no one else. Who would basically bring a Brad Brownell style to Atlanta. He's on my list but I am not sold on BJ.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Start a fund me page to fire Bobinski too. I'll contribute to that one. He was supposed to be the basketball guru and gave BG the extension. Forget the fact that Bobinski didn't hire BG; it was worse to extend BG when he hadn't proven himself than it was to take a flyer on hiring BG cheap. Actions should have consequences.

GT is just REALLY bad with coaching contracts. Seriously. For one of the best business schools in the nation, it seems like we get fleeced a lot not only with the coaching contracts, but some of our business decisions. To make it worse, our bad contracts have occured with our 2 biggest revenue sports (Gailey's extension, Hewitt's "lifetime" contract, CBG's extension reset).

We need to hire a firm who deals with just our contracts as it's becoming obvious we can't handle it ourselves. As much as we want to blame MBob (and he certainly deserves the heat), coaches contracts go through people higher up than MBob for their blessing. Maybe we need to get rid of everyone who forms the "spine" of the decisions makers on these matters as it seems bad contracts are becoming a repeated pattern for us.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Some of the contract stuff seems to be an inferiority complex by our AA. Like they don't think GT can attract someone good without giving them a big buyout to come because GT isn't attractive enough.
Especially from a basketball standpoint that is bunk.
You have one of the top 10 recruiting areas for basketball in your backyard. You play in the most prestigious basketball conference in the country (the one that is most liked by recruits). You have a new state of the art arena and practice facility.
You have a history with multiple FF appearances so it has been done before.
The only big negative are the academic constraints - but with the other positives that should be manageable. But it feels like the AA thinks it's not that great of a job or a great opportunity, instead of thinking big and realizing its a sleeping giant for the right coach.