Coaches on the Hot Seat

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Everyone knows what we know and everyone will use it against us. Kids with multiple HM offers aren't coming here for a lame duck coach.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That may be the case, but as dtm mentioned, we are still in the mix for a lot of highly rated kids. Anyone knows that the situation is bleak but I admire the staff for the approach that they've taken thus far.

Despite the situation, many of those offered have either been to campus or plan to visit soon. If they had no interest, I don't think that they would have wasted their time.

Just because you aren't signing a class full of top 50 guys doesn't mean you can't get players that will help you win. I've always felt at best we might get one or two highly rated guys mixed with some others with more upside.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Don't know where else to post this, but decent interview with BG

The 680 crew were pretty "nice" and didn't crap on GT.
Comments about close loses, solidifying the academic issues (see ramblinred's APR thread), selling the GT "product", have to recruit GA and elsewhere, AAU etc.
Worth the time to listen, especially the first 15 minutes or so.

William S. Baker

Jolly Good Fellow
GaT was predicted to have a breakout year. However, so was Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and FSU. For Tech to qualify for NCAA it is assuming that teams from last year including NC, Duke, Louisville, VA, Notre Dame, Miami, and NC State do not produce as well this next year; and Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and FSU do not have the break out year predicted. It is interesting that very few write ups acknowledge the impact of Nick Jacobs. I feel our team will be better with Jacobs, Smith, and White. However, we have a huge hurdle to jump when compared to other ACC teams. We may be starting four 4 star players in Jacobs, Mitchell, Georges-Hunt, and Jackson. Most ACC teams have starters like this as well if not better. What we do have in our favor is experience. Coaching skills and motivation will have to be at their very best.

Predicting Which College Basketball Teams Will Have Breakout Years in 2015-16
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...all-teams-will-have-breakout-years-in-2015-16

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (12-19 overall, 3-15 in ACC) Honorable Mention

Syracuse Orange (18-13 overall, 9-9 in ACC) Honorable Mention

6. Pittsburgh Panthers 19-15 (8-10 in ACC)
4. Florida State Seminoles 17-16 (8-10 in ACC) (How in the world does this team not win the ACC!!!)

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yes by all means, spin up the propaganda machine so when conference play starts everyone can collectively say "What the..............what?!"....................again.

Did anyone read the Miss St tab and see Craig Swords name and think "really? isnt he 30?"

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Prohm accepts Iowa St job.

Underwood is basically the last man standing in regards to guys we were all looking at.
Hopefully a new crop of young coaches that want to be vastly underpaid to coach in the ACC pops up in the next couple years.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Prohm accepts Iowa St job.

Underwood is basically the last man standing in regards to guys we were all looking at.
Hopefully a new crop of young coaches that want to be vastly underpaid to coach in the ACC pops up in the next couple years.

Gonna have to make new lists. Guys like (dtm's fav) Wade and LeVelle Moton will probably be there.

MurraySt is a decent job in case some high major guy's looking for a fresh start and a cooler seat. Jussayin' (Ok, that was wrong. 30 minute self-ban.)

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes by all means, spin up the propaganda machine so when conference play starts everyone can collectively say "What the..............what?!"....................again.

Did anyone read the Miss St tab and see Craig Swords name and think "really? isnt he 30?"

What if by some miracle of God those close losses from last year turned into close wins this year?

Edited to add.. If Mark Price does well at Charlotte over the next two years, and we end up in need of a new coach, you will not have to look very far.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What if by some miracle of God those close losses from last year turned into close wins this year?

Edited to add.. If Mark Price does well at Charlotte over the next two years, and we end up in need of a new coach, you will not have to look very far.

They wont.
My track record is pretty good at predicting these things.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Very disappointed in Prohm, how could he take a job at a place that has a very strong team coming back when he could wait for GT to open.

Congrats to him - but i'm really disappointed as I thought GT would have a great shot at him in the next year or two.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Per many tweets, Jaylen Fisher of Memphis & Team Thad has committed to UNLV.

He was UofMemphis' top target and Pastner couldn't close him.

Another data point for him staying on my hell no list.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
There are a couple I like there. Haase has to prove more IMHO. Survive and advance in the tournament is different than being a good coach. Wasn't UAB a .500 team out of CUSA?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@Peacone36 good point on Haase, and probably more broadly, on any of these tournament darlings. I must say I'm not wowed by any of those names. I can see Drew at some rando B1G school soon. Surprised the Chattanooga guy's not listed.