Coaches on the Hot Seat

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not a knock on Peacone, but nobody on that list outside of Marshall really gets me real excited!

Personally I think that Marshall is a pipe dream, I don't think that he would come to GT even if we offered him the $.

Gotta think that Ben Jacobson gets a mention. There will be some that want Neal/Price.

I'm not sure who is realistic, but it is time for Bobinski to live up to his reputation of being a basketball guy.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I did my top 6 because the first one I think is <.001% chance.

4-6 are all basically interchangeable for me. I really like Bennett and kept that name in my back pocket in previous discussions.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Not a knock on Peacone, but nobody on that list outside of Marshall really gets me real excited!

Personally I think that Marshall is a pipe dream, I don't think that he would come to GT even if we offered him the $.

Gotta think that Ben Jacobson gets a mention. There will be some that want Neal/Price.

I'm not sure who is realistic, but it is time for Bobinski to live up to his reputation of being a basketball guy.

Id be interested to see who you think we could land AND gets you excited?
Did you get excited about CBG?
Jacobson gets you more excited than Randy Bennett? Bennett has been to either the NIT or NCAAT 8 of the last 10 years. Jacobson, I think has been once, in, 6 years? Now BJ was trimmed from my list in the past 2 weeks but they play a really slow defensive game that looks alot like CBG IMHO.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like Randy Bennett as a coach, but unless he brings in a local recruiting beast, I'd be leery of having to wait 4 years for results. Would be our own Mark Fox, who admittedly has now had 2 solid seasons after rough early days.

ETA: Ben Jacobson is a good coach, but I'm not sure he's a better choice than Bennett, while having the same regionality (not a real word) to him.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I like Randy Bennett as a coach, but unless he brings in a local recruiting beast, I'd be leery of having to wait 4 years for results. Would be our own Mark Fox, who admittedly has now had 2 solid seasons after rough early days.

The names are here. Sharman White, come on down. He may also open up the California pipeline a bit (he is a San Diego alum), the Cali schools come to our backyard often enough. I would also keep Herrion on staff if possible. I beleive Bennett has a pipeline with the Australian Athletic Academy or whatever its called which puts out decent talent.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
On second thought.. Michael White is a little interesting.. One that I would have to take a closer look at.

Another I would throw out.. Archie Miller at Dayton.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, @Peacone36, when you put it like that... I'd love to add White and wouldn't mind keeping Herrion to keep those prep school relationships.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

ETA: Ben Jacobson is a good coach, but I'm not sure he's a better choice than Bennett, while having the same regionality (not a real word) to him.

That was my thought about Bennett as well, and Jacobson to a certain degree, but I'm not sure that any of the more obvious names to appear on anyone's list will have a connection to the South.

Without a doubt, whomever is hired will most likely need to bring in an assistant with some local recruiting ties. Will be interesting to see how things develop.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Well, @Peacone36, when you put it like that... I'd love to add White and wouldn't mind keeping Herrion to keep those prep school relationships.

Forgive my ignorance (and my being too lazy to google), but you've mentioned that a few times. What's his ties to prep schools?

I think G. Marshall is just about everyone's pipe dream. Funny, last go-round I was dead set against him because I saw that he turned down his home state schools who were each offering bigger bucks than we'd offer.

I'm gonna ride with ...

Unlikely
1 - Gregg Marshall (Wichita St)

Possible
2 - R. Pitino (Minnesota)
3 - Michael White (La. Tech)
4 - Chris Mack (Xavier)

Slightly Obscure
5 - Keno Davis (Central Mich.)

If all else fails
6 - Ben Howland
7 - Hunter (Ga. St)

My unrealistic candidate will still be Thad Matta.

Chris Freeman

Jolly Good Fellow
What about Kenny Payne, the assistant from Kentucky? I know he doesn't have head coaching experience but he's been an assistant for 10 years at both Oregon and now Kentucky. Calipari has specifically mentioned his ability to develop players as well as his in game coaching skills. Plus, he's only 48 years old and has strong southern ties. I'm not sure about his recruiting skills.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would like to add a name to the list: Mark Byington. Currently HC at Ga Southern. He was an assistant under Cremins at CofC.

He's 38 years old and in his second year at GSU. He inherited a moribund basketball program in 2013, finished 15-19 his first season, and has the Eagles in 2nd place in the Sun Belt with a 16-5 record. He played guard at UNCW 1994-1998.

I also like Michael White.

Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Forgive my ignorance (and my being too lazy to google), but you've mentioned that a few times. What's his ties to prep schools?

I think G. Marshall is just about everyone's pipe dream. Funny, last go-round I was dead set against him because I saw that he turned down his home state schools who were each offering bigger bucks than we'd offer.

I'm gonna ride with ...

Unlikely
1 - Gregg Marshall (Wichita St)

Possible
2 - R. Pitino (Minnesota)
3 - Michael White (La. Tech)
4 - Chris Mack (Xavier)

Slightly Obscure
5 - Keno Davis (Central Mich.)

If all else fails
6 - Ben Howland
7 - Hunter (Ga. St)

My unrealistic candidate will still be Thad Matta.

Im all set with Keno Davis after his stop at Providence. Im really not sold on Pitino either, even though i had him on my list. But I would be ok taking a flyer on him

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What about Kenny Payne, the assistant from Kentucky? I know he doesn't have head coaching experience but he's been an assistant for 10 years at both Oregon and now Kentucky. Calipari has specifically mentioned his ability to develop players as well as his in game coaching skills. Plus, he's only 48 years old and has strong southern ties. I'm not sure about his recruiting skills.

That's a tough call to make on any of those assistants. Pretty easy to 'develop' guys who'd be in the league were it not for the one/done rule. I certainly recognize the actual coaching that happens there but it's just so difficult to project what they'd do outside the veil of what Calipari has built. Case in point, Tony Barbee (formerly) at AUB. Barbee was considered a HOT prospect even more so than Payne is. He was awful. Doesn't mean Payne is too, but illustrates how much of a crap shoot it is.

I would like to add a name to the list: Mark Byington. Currently HC at Ga Southern. He was an assistant under Cremins at CofC.

He's 38 years old and in his second year at GSU. He inherited a moribund basketball program in 2013, finished 15-19 his first season, and has the Eagles in 2nd place in the Sun Belt with a 16-5 record. He played guard at UNCW 1994-1998.

I also like Michael White.

Byington looks like a good prospect for down the road. Probably still needs seasoning but appears to be on a good track.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
An opening list in need of slimming down...

Swing for the fences: Jay Wright, Villanova

Proven Winner:
Bob McKillop, Davidson
Steve Prohm, Murray State
Archie Miller, Dayton
Chris Mack, Xavier

Maybe, maybe not:
Tommy Amaker, Harvard
Mike Rhoades, Rice (mainly because he's a Shaka disciple)
Bob Huffman, Mercer
Ron Hunter, GA State
Tim Cluess, Iona

Just for kicks, but unlikely:
Tom Crean, Indiana
Tim Miles, Nebraska
Lon Kruger, Oklahoma

Up & Comer:
Will Wade, Chattanooga

Hell No:
Josh Pastner, Memphis
Frank Haith, Tulsa