Coaches on the Hot Seat

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Don't think Howland would be a good recruiter.....sounds like he had a hard time recruiting in LA. Imperative that generation y players like him for him to be successful here imo.

Actually he was historically a great recruiter. Just had some weird, off-the-court stuff go on including NCAA issues and a team cancer (Reeves Nelson) wreaking havoc in the locker room. He handled both poorly and eventually through NBA defections, transfers and dismissals the team withered away. There was a pretty comprehensive expose on it around the time he was fired which spelled it all out. I haven't been able to find it but will post it once I do.

One of the knocks on him was he took superior talent and didn't do much with it. Many felt his style of play was more conducive to east coast basketball, i.e. no run-n-gun. Remember he had Russell Westbrook coming off the bench of one of his squads. Had Shabazz Muhummad and IIRC Zack Levine and out-recruited Duke for Tony Parker (although he amounted to nothing) despite hot seat rumors.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Those in the know, educate me...

Who is the best option as a HC replacement in terms of great X's and O's coach as well as great recruiter?

Of that list, probably Crean. Not on that list, probably Kevin Stallings of Vandy (although I've got 1st hand info that he greatly lacks interpersonal skills and they may have had some cover-ups along the way also).

I'd like to see us offer a nice pay day and see if Bob McKillop might be interested. Proven winner at Davidson, potent offensive coach. Could be a Jim Larranaga type of hire.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Those in the know, educate me...

Who is the best option as a HC replacement in terms of great X's and O's coach as well as great recruiter?

Tom Crean is the best mix of both. Id also add that there is <1% chance he ends up here.

To the comment of Howland recruiting. Check out the players he recruited. He had one group of kids that went all Long John Silver on him and he was gone. His recruiting to UCLA was unreal. Not to mention hes the one that pulled Jordan Adams and Tony Parker out of GTs back yard.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
BTW i realize im alone on the Howland train, im also not foolish enough to believe that he would ever be our next coach.

Regardless, i go against the grain, and i wanna win, so not only is he on my list, but hes about #3 or #4.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Of that list, probably Crean. Not on that list, probably Kevin Stallings of Vandy (although I've got 1st hand info that he greatly lacks interpersonal skills and they may have had some cover-ups along the way also).

I'd like to see us offer a nice pay day and see if Bob McKillop might be interested. Proven winner at Davidson, potent offensive coach. Could be a Jim Larranaga type of hire.

I never thought of McKillop until we discussed it the o ther night. He has been at Davidson since 89 sooo....i cant imagine he wants to leave. However, hes worth a run especially if our budget is less than what we anticipate. Since 2000-2001 he is 317-151, (67%), his all time conference winning % is 75% and hes been to 9 post seasons in the last 14 seasons. Hes a good candidate and id put him ahead of Enfield and many others.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Have no idea of any validity to the coaching changes list, but I have 3 of 5 on that list that i'm tracking (out of 12 total).

Howland was on that list as is McKillop. McKillop's age will be his biggest negative - he's 64. As mentioned would be a Larranaga type hire.

Crean would be a really good hire. He and Gregory are really close (coached together) so I can't see that happening.

Mack wouldn't shock me and he is a good coach - 4 NCAA and 2 Sweet Sixteen's in his first 5 years. At his alma mater, though Mbob was the one who hired him and his name was openly mentioned with the Wake job last year (he was an asst at Wake under Prosser - another plus for me). Not my #1 guy but in my top 5.

I think Peacone said it well. Gregory will do well as a high major asst or mid major coach. Really good defensive coach.

RamblinRed

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
BTW i realize im alone on the Howland train, im also not foolish enough to believe that he would ever be our next coach.

Regardless, i go against the grain, and i wanna win, so not only is he on my list, but hes about #3 or #4.

Yall are making me jealous. I gotta make my own top 5 list too. ;)

Howland will make mine.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm afraid of what I'll find, but at some point I'll have to go back and figure out how many points Howland's UCLA teams averaged. I think he can bring very good talent and he's a very good coach, but I recall him being defense-oriented, which I feel would go over like a lead balloon following the past 4 years.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Here's a list of all names I've heard mentioned. I'm sure there's plenty of others out there that Bobinski will be considering as well

Gregg Marshall
Shaka Smart
Chris Mack
Andy Enfield
Tom Crean
Ben Howland
Craig Neal
Michael White (La Tech)
Billy Donlon (Wright St)
Jeff Boals (OSU asst)
Kenny Payne (UK asst)
Eric Musselman (ex NBA)
Andrew Toole (Robert Morris)
Ben Jacobson (N. Iowa)
Mark Price

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
just as an "and" Musselman is currently a LSU assistant. Not sure what his responsibility is, but they seem to crank out some talented players frequently.

And do nothing with them while they're there.

Musselman is the one that was fired from Sacto due to DUI, right? Man he was a bit of a rising star until then. Surprised he hasn't surfaced anywhere since then. He must have some problems. IIRC his dad did as well. Too bad.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
On June 2, 2006, Musselman was named head coach of the Sacramento Kings, replacing Rick Adelman. Four months into the job, on October 21, 2006, Musselman was cited for DUI in Sacramento.[6] According to experts, Musselman, who is 5-foot-7 and weighs 150 pounds, was "one or two drinks over" the legal limit.[7] At the time, Musselman said, "Alcohol has never been a big part of my life. I don't allow it in my house. My sons have never seen me take a sip of anything." According to Ailine Voisin, a sports columnist forThe Sacramento Bee, "[Musselman] drinks so infrequently, in fact, that he can count the number of beers he consumes per month.

almost 9 years ago. I can forgive.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Assuming we land a very good coach, add Sharman White to the list of potential assistant coaches. Note that I'm tempted to add him to my list of head coach candidates, but I think people not in the know on local ATL hoops will poop on that.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd be interested to see what Howland learned. If you look at the stats. He played much faster later in his time at UCLA, but was much less efficient on offense and didn't win as much.

I wonder if like CPJ he has realized who he is, what he is comfortable doing, and what makes him most successful.

His best teams pace were quite slow, but their offensive efficiency is through the roof and of course the defense was strong.

RamblinRed

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll also add I don't want to see an asst as the hire. Historically that has not ended up well in the ACC. You need to go somewhere else to learn from your mistakes.