Coaches on the Hot Seat

slugboy

Staff member
Unfortunately, I don't have access to MyAJC to provide an opinion...

Just posted in a separate thread. MBob sees improvement in some areas, and regression in others, depending on the night. It seems like an honest opinion, and not one as certain of a coaching change as the rest of the world seems to be.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just posted in a separate thread. MBob sees improvement in some areas, and regression in others, depending on the night. It seems like an honest opinion, and not one as certain of a coaching change as the rest of the world seems to be.
Thanks for the recap @slugboy. There have definitely been areas/moments of improvement, but we'll see if it's enough.

It'd be interesting to find out how many season ticket holders (I did) signed up for the discounted 2-year plan.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
On June 2, 2006, Musselman was named head coach of the Sacramento Kings, replacing Rick Adelman. Four months into the job, on October 21, 2006, Musselman was cited for DUI in Sacramento.[6] According to experts, Musselman, who is 5-foot-7 and weighs 150 pounds, was "one or two drinks over" the legal limit.[7] At the time, Musselman said, "Alcohol has never been a big part of my life. I don't allow it in my house. My sons have never seen me take a sip of anything." According to Ailine Voisin, a sports columnist forThe Sacramento Bee, "[Musselman] drinks so infrequently, in fact, that he can count the number of beers he consumes per month.

almost 9 years ago. I can forgive.

Nah, just not worth it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Assuming we land a very good coach, add Sharman White to the list of potential assistant coaches. Note that I'm tempted to add him to my list of head coach candidates, but I think people not in the know on local ATL hoops will poop on that.

Don't worry about non-local people not knowing him. Tell them to check out the USA men's bball U16 squad coaching staff.

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/01/2015-mu16-coaching-staff-announced.aspx

The only reason not to pull him in is because he's not likely to be here long. He's a rising star in the coaching ranks.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't worry about non-local people not knowing him. Tell them to check out the USA men's bball U16 squad coaching staff.

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/01/2015-mu16-coaching-staff-announced.aspx

The only reason not to pull him in is because he's not likely to be here long. He's a rising star in the coaching ranks.
LOL! That's not a good enough reason. Figure he'd need to put in at least 2 years, add some recruits to his resume. Also, let's get on his resume now because we might want to bring him back at some point later on as the head coach.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Would love to see White as an assistant on the next coaching staff (whom ever that may be). In all honest, it may be the likely next step in his coaching career.

Any big time university would want to see him serve as a collegiate assistant first right? Either way, he will be a good one!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
LOL! That's not a good enough reason. Figure he'd need to put in at least 2 years, add some recruits to his resume. Also, let's get on his resume now because we might want to bring him back at some point later on as the head coach.

I was agreeing with you. What I was trying to convey was that there's no real reason not to hire him. ;)

I was hoping they'd give him a shot when Posterino "left". Either that or beg C. Young to come back from FSU. Man that dude's been eating our lunch on the trail since he got there. :yuck:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was agreeing with you. What I was trying to convey was that there's no real reason not to hire him. ;)

I was hoping they'd give him a shot when Posterino "left". Either that or beg C. Young to come back from FSU. Man that dude's been eating our lunch on the trail since he got there. :yuck:
LOL! I know you were being TIC. Sorry I didn't come off the same. I meant to.

I was also hoping White was gonna get that last slot, but I guess there would be too much GA overlap recruiting wise.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
LOL! I know you were being TIC. Sorry I didn't come off the same. I meant to.

I was also hoping White was gonna get that last slot, but I guess there would be too much GA overlap recruiting wise.

On paper, yes.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FSU pays its assts alot more than GT does, that is one reason Young won't be here.
Dollar had a bigger money offer from FSU (and one from Wichita St to remain there) on the table than what he signed at GT for. He wanted to come back to Atlanta, so we basically got him for a discounted price.

Gregory almost didn't take the job because he was concerned he wouldn't have enough money to hire solid assts.

RamblinRed

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I need to read the article, but given the premise, I thought I'd go ahead and get this in the thread.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I need to read the article, but given the premise, I thought I'd go ahead and get this in the thread.

Bascially a piece saying why Gott should not be fired - the title is supposed to be ironic.
There were fans on their board openly calling for Gott to be fired and Archie Miller (who is one my coach watch list) to be hired after last night.
That said it is completely unrealistic. They have made the Tourney his first 3 years and are a bubble team right now. More importantly, the AD who hired him is still there. AD's are very slow to fire coaches they hired.

it would take at least 2 bad seasons before Yow would entertain firing him imo.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll post my list of coaches i'm following once this team gets to the point where Gregory can't hit the number i think he has to hit without a run in the ACC Tourney (that could be next weekend).

12 guys on my list. Some are guys I think will be considered or be interested. Some are some i don't think will be considered or interested, but I like for one reason or another.

RamblinRed

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I have a similar list Red, interested to see the similarities. I've paid attention to a lot of games recently and tried to refine. In all honestly I've only come up with about 4 names I think we can land with the projected budget we think is accurate that are good enough to succeed here.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Welp, we're getting some exposure after last night's loss to dook. Some pundits are recognizing that we've actually been playing tight games... but getting no results.