Coaches on the Hot Seat

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Note on Steve Prohm. While born in VA, he grew up in Dalton GA and lettered in basketball for 3 years at Whitfield County HS. He played basketball at Emory before transferring to AL to be a student manager so he could go into coaching.
I see him and Mike White as very similar coaching candidates.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Your starting PG that's actually playing transfer midway through the conference season? Kevin Willard stays on my Hell No list. I mean, he's gonna get canned also, but hell no.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Bobinski on Chuck and Chernoff just said that he and Gregory would have a very direct talk after the season about how Gregory intends to overcome the frustrations.

That is, he said that CBG is just as frustrated as everyone else but that's not enough. It was definitely neither a voice of unwavering support for CBG nor a suggestion that his fire is a fait accompli.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bobinski on Chuck and Chernoff just said that he and Gregory would have a very direct talk after the season about how Gregory intends to overcome the frustrations.

That is, he said that CBG is just as frustrated as everyone else but that's not enough. It was definitely neither a voice of unwavering support for CBG nor a suggestion that his fire is a fait accompli.
Overcoming frustrations could be code for mutual decision to part ways with a buyout.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Overcoming frustrations could be code for mutual decision to part ways with a buyout.
I thought the same thing when I read that. Honestly, we have to be moving in that direction. MBob cannot be happy with 5500 in McCamish and it isn't likely to improve while BG is here.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sorry, I wasn't more clear. In context, he was talking about being frustrated with the results on the court.
I figured that and still think overcoming those frustrations could be a mutual decision with a buyout. Nobody wants to be labeled a quitter, but what if BG is the rare honest coach who recognizes his own shortcomings and decides to part ways & move on. I know that's pretty unrealistic in college hoops, but if he's seeing writing on the wall, maybe...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I figured that and still think overcoming those frustrations could be a mutual decision with a buyout. Nobody wants to be labeled a quitter, but what if BG is the rare honest coach who recognizes his own shortcomings and decides to part ways & move on. I know that's pretty unrealistic in college hoops, but if he's seeing writing on the wall, maybe...
Maybe we need another thread where we draft BG's parting words to the GT community.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Wow. Bradley rips CBG unmercifully.

Still, he sees the same thing most of us have seen.
I am happy when Bradley watches uga play instead of us. He always wants the spotlight, so saying ho-hum stuff is his never his style.

I agree with most of his column, but he is wrong about the NC State game. After Q missed both both FTs we were up by two points. Tech was correct in not fouling him, and double teamed him up well outside the arc. It's easy to say the Tech guards should have played him closer, but Lacey made a great shot and deserves credit for it. At no time in his life would Bradley have made that shot. Even unguarded.

Now, that does not change the point of his story. We made plenty of blunders in that game prior to the final seconds.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is why Jay Wright is my swing for the fences candidate. He recruits solid basketball players. Not the biggest recruits, but good basketball players & gets this out of them. He'd have this team at 20 wins.

I've got no reason to believe he'd even entertain the job, just my dream candidate.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is why Jay Wright is my swing for the fences candidate. He recruits solid basketball players. Not the biggest recruits, but good basketball players & gets this out of them. He'd have this team at 20 wins.

I've got no reason to believe he'd even entertain the job, just my dream candidate.

I am trying to think of just one reason why Jay Wright would even return MBob's call. He is a Pennsylvania native, married to a former Villanova cheerleader, and the star basketball coach in the entire state. And there are more college basketball fans in Philly than the entire state of Georgia. I doubt we could lure him away with money, since we don't have ton of it. Plus, I imagine we would not be the first school to think of his name when searching for a new coach. This is a nice third glass of Woodford fantasy, but not realistic.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am trying to think of just one reason why Jay Wright would even return MBob's call. He is a Pennsylvania native, married to a former Villanova cheerleader, and the star basketball coach in the entire state. And there are more college basketball fans in Philly than the entire state of Georgia. I doubt we could lure him away with money, since we don't have ton of it. Plus, I imagine we would not be the first school to think of his name when searching for a new coach. This is a nice third glass of Woodford fantasy, but not realistic.
There are absolutely no good reasons for him to consider us outside of the challenge of taking on 4 HOF coaches in their twilight in maybe a better hoops league. Admittedly, he's more my dream candidate than anything based in reality.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Coaching Changes twitter feed started putting up %chance to be fired today. I think the dude makes it up for the most part, but... from my Hell No list...