@ Clemson Feb 1

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I also believe we've had the element of surprise early in the season, especially given what many teams remembered from last year about our team and the prognostications for this year. This no longer is the case and I would bet that all opponents going forward will get up for us. As mentioned earlier, the team has to continue minimizing mistakes and play with the same desire for the rest of the season.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We will be an underdog in every road game, period. Any road win is a good road win. This is a tough league. Even with their 2-6 conf record Clemson is currently projected as a Tourney team in Palm's new bracket this morning (as an 11) - FWIW, we were an 8.

Due to our weak OOC and some losses we need imo at least 10 ACC wins to get in. I'm still worried about min. We've played the starters a ton, worried we might run out of steam late. This team wins not by out talenting teams, but by outworking them and working very well as a unit.

Clemson absolutely has to win this game Wed. Just one win this week by GT would really help it's chances. Road victories carry more weight in RPI than home.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm also not overconfident, but we have legitimate reasons to be optimistic. We've been playing well, and 3 upcoming opponents (BC, Cuse, and NCSU) have all struggled significantly on the road. I'm not saying we can start chalking up W's, but there are definitely reasons to have a positive outlook.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
CLEM shot below their season average from the field and from 3 in our first match-up - some of that has to do with our defense, but I expect them to shoot a little better this time around, especially being in their own gym. We had a monster rebounding advantage in the first meeting, we'll need to have that again to limit second chance points. Good news is Q, Ben, and Okogie have done a really nice job on the glass the past week or so.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth Pastner stated today he thought tech should get in with and eight and 10 record in the ACC. I thought I was being conservative :)

It was on a radio interview with Feinstein. I think if we get to nine and nine we have at least eight and probably nine wins over NCAA teams. Yes FSU could fall apart but I doubt they fall out of the top 20. Same with Notre Dame. UNC is going to be top 10 at least. Those are some quality wins the most teams anywhere near the bubble don't have.
If you can stream SiriusXM on demand, it's on their college sports station. CJP also did an interview earlier today with Seth Greenberg on ESPN radio.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I am not confident at all. Revenge games scare me and we have 3 coming up with NCST, ND and Clemson. I'm glad two are at home. Cuse scares the crap out of me because they can literally score from every position except maybe their 5 man? (Havemt seen them a lot)

Pitt is a mess but they have the top 2 scorers in the league. Wake is a road game and no one is really playing better than John Collins right now. Hell even BC can play but I'm pretty sure they are 0-season in true road games.

Cuse is an enigma. Scoring from the 5 is not the issue. Taurean Thompson and Tyler Lydon get those minutes now as Chukwu is injured and Coleman's knees are shot.

Issues are PG, defense, and scoring from PF when Lydon slides over to C after Thompson inevitably gets in foul trouble.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Obviously that is better but even if we don't we would have enough quality wins that I couldn't see them keeping us out. Could be wrong for sure. Have been in the past. But that would be a heck of a lot of quality wins to keep out
Don't forget that a lot of teams on the bubble slip off due to upsets in various conference tournaments.

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
It will be interesting to see what coaching changes from both teams are made for the second meeting.

Bob

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm still worried about min. We've played the starters a ton, worried we might run out of steam late. This team wins not by out talenting teams, but by outworking them and working very well as a unit.

This is my biggest fear as well. You could see the fatigue at the end of the ND game cause some critical errors. As we get further into the season, we need to start giving Lammers and others more of a blow. But that raises the risks. I think we are still very dodgey as an NCAA pick and frankly won't count my chickens before they hatch. There is just too much risk that guys who have *never* been asked to play this many tough competitive minutes simply run out of steam.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
What is the difference between 70 game minutes a week and 80 game minutes a week? (Assumes 2 games x 40 min). And why are those 10 minutes going to add up by the end of the season?

Would it not make sense to ease practices first?

Duke and Syracuse, two examples, have lived off 6 and 7 man rotations and done well. The NCAA tournament continues the 2 games per week thing, so it's not an issue except for maybe the ACC tournament. What's great is, the higher the ACC seed, the fewer games and minutes you have to play.

We also play zone which should help hide guys a little more, rather than running around ball screens all day.

I agree there might be some element of fatigue, but I don't get the concern other than folks aren't used to seeing it.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I think the concern for fatigue is not from game to game or over the course of the season, at least not my concern. My concern is crunch time having some energy left. Playing 40 minutes compared to 32-35 isn't a big deal from game to game, especially when you are really young like college players, but during the game is where it makes a difference IMO. If we got Lammers 2-3 minutes of rest around the 8 minute mark of the second half he would be a little more fresh for crunch time.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, we also could have been down 4-6 points going into the last minute as a result. Said it during chat, I'll take an 80% Lammers over a substitute. Probably could lower the % too.

A lot of times at the end of a game, there are more breaks due to free throws as well. Didn't happen vs. ND. Also number of possessions and speed of play matters, as CJP mentioned as a reason for not pulling him. Lot of things to consider.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If we had a team of LeBron like athletes I might agree with your lack of concern about minutes played :p Instead we have a 225 lb center and a 195 lb PF (soaking wet) who are banging around for 40 min against much bigger players. That takes it out of you. Also, the level of defensive focus and energy we have takes a lot more out of a player. Defensive intensity is a lot more draining than the offensive end.

Honestly I have been floored that Lammers was still standing at the end of a couple of games - much less still running around and making plays. And amazed he is making plays without fouling simply because he was too tired to be able to move his feet.

We are playing a grinding style in a lot of ways like UVA but without any depth. Really impressive that we can do it, do it without fouling and while still making plays - especially late in games.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This really puts our ACC run into perspective relative to expectations...

upload_2017-1-31_14-58-29.png

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If we had a team of LeBron like athletes I might agree with your lack of concern about minutes played :p Instead we have a 225 lb center and a 195 lb PF (soaking wet) who are banging around for 40 min against much bigger players. That takes it out of you. Also, the level of defensive focus and energy we have takes a lot more out of a player. Defensive intensity is a lot more draining than the offensive end.

Honestly I have been floored that Lammers was still standing at the end of a couple of games - much less still running around and making plays. And amazed he is making plays without fouling simply because he was too tired to be able to move his feet.

We are playing a grinding style in a lot of ways like UVA but without any depth. Really impressive that we can do it, do it without fouling and while still making plays - especially late in games.
I acknowledge there's a chance we're getting tired and doing so at a pace inconsistent with other teams that play 6-7 guys. That said, it's also possible that big minutes are a non-issue and not that remarkable having seen it elsewhere.

When we play zone, Lammers and Q don't bang with anyone on D except during box outs. It's also how we're able to play longer without fouling. It all fits together.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Question to those that know basketball better than me: Since we struggle to win @Clemson, what do we need to do to win the game tomorrow night? This is a huge game for our post-season chances. It isn't a deal breaker if we lose, but would be a huge step in getting into the tourney to win this one on the road.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I think the biggest concern about only playing a few guys is it hurts us way more when someone or a few people go cold. TJ stepped up when Okogie went cold against ND, but that's not always going to happen. For instance in the UVA game when we don't get production out of Lammers we have trouble. We can't pull him and we can't ask him to not take typically high percentage shots, but we have no true replacement (although AD is serviceable)