@ Clemson Feb 1

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Absolutely wanted the win, but if the flu bug is going around (and it certainly looked like it tonight), it explains a lot. Ad too that they kept up the fight until the end.

Reality is that this is an acceptable loss in the grand scheme.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Andy said Heath was sick this morning and Q still nursing his ankle, before the game began.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I guess no one listens to the Tech radio broadcasts. I always mute the tv and listen that way then rewatch the video later with the network commentary.

Anyway, in the pregame interview with CJP he said that they had no idea how much they would be able to play Heath or Stephens. Stephens had not practiced at all since the ND game because of his sprained ankle. Heath had been so sick that they were not going to play him at all but then after he was put on an i.v. today he felt good enough to try. If Heath was that sick it certainly is possible other players were less sick but still under the weather. Honestly, once I heard that I was resigned to losing the game as there were too many elements stacked against us (Clemson desperate and at home, etc).

I think Pastner tried to get creative, like that lineup with AD at center with Lammers sliding to the 4 and even Matthews getting minutes, but the guys were disjointed overall, no fluidity for the most part. Clemson really did a great job on defense, however, they were really sticking to the guys and clogging up the paint on the cuts. Refs made themselves noticed which is never good.

Finally, did anyone catch what was going on in that late game timeout when CJP chewed out Matthews? He wasn't in the lineup at that time, so it really stuck out that CJP approached him and was on him during a team huddle. Could be an indicator of why he hasn't logged many minutes.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I saw C-Matt get what looked to be the only time CJP got on anyone's case tonight. Thanks for having the scoop.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Tough loss, but it sort of felt like we were due after playing above our heads of late. Amazing how good Vegas can be.

Biggest positive? We did not quite. We played hard to the end. Hit more than one 3 and this could have been a different result (at least closer). Even in the loss, I still love watching this team.

Oh, and Lammers is a beast!!!

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
CJP was on Okogie a few times when he came out for a breather. Constant theme was "you're trying to do too much. keep it simple." heard him say that several times to Josh, esp in first half and early second. A couple of times he turned to Reveno and said "what was he thinking?" after a couple of our unforced / silly turnovers
I thought officating was ok, not great but not awful. We got lots of reaching calls because we were out of position on D and/or out-hustled going for 50/50 balls

I don't like losing, but this was a tough game. They needed to win badly. It was on the road. We just beat them 3 weeks ago, so it was payback. All things considered, the biggest takeaway for me was the scrappy nature of the team. when they fell behind 53-32 and Lammers was essentially our only offense, they kept playing hard and didn't give up.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Vegas must have known about the flu for that spread to shoot up a point in a half in the last 8 hours. Incredible at their jobs

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Off topic but last night KenPom had the score of the Kansas Baylor game as KU -4 and a score or 73-69

Final Score 73-68 Kansas :eek:

I've seen a lot better teas go up there and lose. Raleigh and Clemson have nerve been kind to the yellew jackets. Asking a lot to win at both places in one year.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Sometimes it's just not your night. Fate certainly did not stack the deck in our favor. With Heath and Q ailing we needed Okogie to have one of his monster games to win. This is one of those try to forget about it and move on kind of losses.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not surprised and not overly disappointed. This team has been playing above its head for a couple of weeks. Was due for a lesser performance.

Just have to keep grinding and hope to pull out some more games.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Funny after all we were dealing with, we made it a 2-possession game with like 2 minutes left. Had either of those wild 3's by Q fallen, Clemson might've folded. They were already missing free throws late. When Blossomgame missed those 2 ft's late, I thought we had a chance.

Anyways, I'd be curious to hear what Matthews did to get chewed out.

Also, it was kinda funny seeing coach Hardy's look when Tadric fouled out. Broadcast happened to have a closeup on his face. He was like, "What the ...? Tadric?" Then he just shook his head.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Heard some post game CJP audio behind a paywall and Tadric was also on a hurt ankle with no practice.

To recap:
  • We played at our "rival" school's home
  • Said rival has quite a bit of talent and anyone calling Clemson a bad team probably doesn't know much about college hoops.
  • Rival played motivated because post season hopes & possible coaches jobs are hanging in the balance.
  • Our 3rd & 4th best scoring options were on busted ankles & no practice.
  • Our calming presence starting PG was essentially the walking dead.
I mean, the players who we think we're healthy didn't have the best game, but his team wins because of TEAM. We didn't really have that in an extremely tough environment.

Flush it and we're on to Wake.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
If we get healthy I have us going 4-4 in our last 8 ACC games.
L @ Wake
W BC
L @ Miami
W's Nc St & Cuse
L @ ND
W Pitt
L @ Cuse
That puts us at 18-13/9-9. We would need to win our first ACCT game to be safe. If we hold serve at home, which looks do able and steal one on the road, that would help big time. The VT game is one we really needed.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Last night would have been a great win and I too had hopes for a win given the way the team had been playing. But the injuries and being away from home took away any margin we had to win. I am actually pleased they kept it as close as they did. In a weird way I see that as progress. As Ryan says they have a good shot at 9-9 in conference and a spot firmly on the bubble. Way beyond what could be asked of this team. House money is a great term. Heal up and let's see if we can steal one from Wake.

Clemson won't be the last team to play a saggy man D against us. Q and TJ in particular are going to have to regain their shooting touch hopefully as they get healthy.