@ Clemson Feb 1

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Obviously that is better but even if we don't we would have enough quality wins that I couldn't see them keeping us out. Could be wrong for sure. Have been in the past. But that would be a heck of a lot of quality wins to keep out

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Keep in mind the wins look great right now. In about 24 hours we may go from 2 top 10 wins to 1 or possibly 0, when the new polls come out.

To further drive it home... If for example FSU is exposed and falls apart, all that will matter is their RPI/other metrics for the full year, not what they looked like when we played them.

17-14 is really dicey, and the tourney committee has made statements in the past about poor non-conference schedules. I'd like to get to 10-8 to feel comfortable.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
17-14 is really dicey, and the tourney committee has made statements in the past about poor non-conference schedules. I'd like to get to 10-8 to feel comfortable.

Still cursing about that VT game...could be 6-3 in the ACC right now...

:banghead:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Still cursing about that VT game...could be 6-3 in the ACC right now...

:banghead:
Agree. I think @VCU will look better at end of year to the committee than one of our home wins vs. FSU or Notre Dame, recognizing one or both have a chance to fall back toward the middle. The annual bubble question of "but can they can win away from home?" will have at least one answer.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The VCU win and the Ohio and Tennessee losses hopefully will all look better at the end of the year. We really need UNC, FSU, and ND to keep winning and finish very strong. I feel confident that 10-8 and we are in. 9-9 is dicey and imho would require a win in acc tourney.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth Pastner stated today he thought tech should get in with and eight and 10 record in the ACC. I thought I was being conservative :)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth Pastner stated today he thought tech should get in with and eight and 10 record in the ACC. I thought I was being conservative :)
Perhaps it's time to get into campaign mode ;)

Where did you see/hear that though? I missed it.

That record could still work but it would be really uncomfortable. I'm not buying it unless it comes with 2 ACCT wins.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps it's time to get into campaign mode ;)

Where did you see/hear that though? I missed it.

That record could still work but it would be really uncomfortable. I'm not buying it unless it comes with 2 ACCT wins.

It was on a radio interview with Feinstein. I think if we get to nine and nine we have at least eight and probably nine wins over NCAA teams. Yes FSU could fall apart but I doubt they fall out of the top 20. Same with Notre Dame. UNC is going to be top 10 at least. Those are some quality wins the most teams anywhere near the bubble don't have.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Kinda going away from the topic but from what I've seen from FSU the last couple games I don't see them getting out of the first day in the NCAA tournament. They remind me of a PH squad of 06-07 or 09-10. Great athletes but poorly coached. A well coached mud major, full of upper class men will pick them apart. Just my opinion

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I almost find it frustrating that besides the rematch with Notre Dame, we don't have anymore games that can be considered "quality wins." Besides BC and maybe Pitt, no bad losses either. Just a bunch of decent teams. No gimme games. Tells you how deep the conference is this year when some of the lower tier teams are potential bubble teams. Basically not many games left we can pad our resume with.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I almost find it frustrating that besides the rematch with Notre Dame, we don't have anymore games that can be considered "quality wins." Besides BC and maybe Pitt, no bad losses either. Just a bunch of decent teams. No gimme games. Tells you how deep the conference is this year when some of the lower tier teams are potential bubble teams. Basically not many games left we can pad our resume with.

Win more than we lose still matters, starting Wednesday

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer

At this point I think we just need to end up with 18-19 total wins and we're in. We have the quality resume building wins necessary to get in, I think. If we finish 19-12 (5-4 ACC) we're most likely in. If we win an ACC tournament game or more and finish 20-13 or 21-13 we're definitely in, I think.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad y'all are so confident. Here's the last 7 days of ACC Men's Basketball scores: http://www.theacc.com/schedule-list/#!/m-baskbl/all/2017-01-23.
  • Syracuse beat FSU by 10.
  • Syracuse beat Wake by 5
  • Clemson beat Pitt by 17
  • Wake Forest lost to Duke by 2
  • Miami beat UNC by 15
  • BC gave VT a game (lost by 6)
There's no gimmes. Miami's surely not an automatic win. Even BC can trip you up.

I am not confident at all. Revenge games scare me and we have 3 coming up with NCST, ND and Clemson. I'm glad two are at home. Cuse scares the crap out of me because they can literally score from every position except maybe their 5 man? (Havemt seen them a lot)

Pitt is a mess but they have the top 2 scorers in the league. Wake is a road game and no one is really playing better than John Collins right now. Hell even BC can play but I'm pretty sure they are 0-season in true road games.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
None of the remaining games will be gimmes, and if we play with one ounce less of determination/focus, we are likely to lose.

Maybe I succumbing to Coach Pastner beating it into my head, but we really do not have any room for error.

The primary reason that we are winning these games is because we are literally playing harder and want it more than the other team...especially on D.

We have to keep bringing that level of intensity night in and night out.