@ Clemson Feb 1

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If we get healthy I have us going 4-4 in our last 8 ACC games.
L @ Wake
W BC
L @ Miami
W's Nc St & Cuse
L @ ND
W Pitt
L @ Cuse
That puts us at 18-13/9-9. We would need to win our first ACCT game to be safe. If we hold serve at home, which looks do able and steal one on the road, that would help big time. The VT game is one we really needed.
I am actually hopeful that maybe we can win that Wake game and get to the ACC tourney with 19 wins then win a first round game at a minimum. I think a winning ACC record and a nice round # of 20 wins seals the deal for us.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Winning at Wake is a tall order. They are better than their record indicates. Bryant Crawford and John Collins are players.

Especially with Collins we are going to have our hands full if we try to go man and Q is gimped up.

Hell even BC can score the ball at a pretty good clip. We need to remain focused here and bring that fire we had against the big boys.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Really need Okogie to stay out of foul trouble. 2 games in a row now he's sat important minutes due to foul trouble. You can tell immediately how much this team struggles without Heath at point. Saw it in the non-conference stretch too.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Rewatched our 1st game vs CU, and JMoore was much more aggressive.

We're still a work in process

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Rewatched our 1st game vs CU, and JMoore was much more aggressive.

We're still a work in process

Yeah Moore seems to be having confidence issues. Was wide-a** open a couple times down the stretch when we desperately needed a 3, he didn't even look at the basket. Teams surely see that he's reluctant to shoot, that's gotta change. Hey, if you miss it's ok. Move on to the next one.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Yeah Moore seems to be having confidence issues. Was wide-a** open a couple times down the stretch when we desperately needed a 3, he didn't even look at the basket. Teams surely see that he's reluctant to shoot, that's gotta change. Hey, if you miss it's ok. Move on to the next one.
That's been a big concern of mine with our guards all year. Even Okogie late passed up an open 3 to attempt to drive the baseline right into traffic, his man was already off him and ready to funnel him underneath. I get that none of them are surefire three point shooters, but passing up the open shot so frequently, especially if you are passed to in rhythm makes the game in the paint that much higher a degree of difficulty.

I lost count of how many layups and buckets made inside were really impressive but highly difficult ones. I am of the mindset that passing up these looks doesn't fit with CJP's emphasis on guard rebounding as well. Missed threes are often longer rebounds that will go to guards. If you have the open look and you know your fellow guard and wings will be crashing in for rebounding position then you should have the confidence to let it rip. Or at least do so once it is under 15 on the shot clock.

JonathanV

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the Tusculum game will be good for him for that. We can't really afford for him to miss those shots now.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I will let you guys work out all the ways to make the NCAA tourney.

I am just ecstatic that we seem very close to a lock to make the NIT. After what was lost from last year's NIT team, to being the most inexperienced team, under a new staff that got a late start . . . there will be zero disappointment in Wayne Manor for the results of this season.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hardly think we are a lock for the NIT yet. Think we need 3 more ACC wins for that.

Moore has no shot outside of about 5 feet. Hasn't all year. Teams know that and play way off him. That is his biggest offseason work imo. He needs to be putting up alot of shots every day and get comfortable shooting jumpers. He needs both an outside jumper and either a floater or jump stop in the lane. Until he does his value is somewhat limited.

This is why Justin was a borderline 2/3* kid. He has 4* athleticism but more of a 2* game.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hardly think we are a lock for the NIT yet. Think we need 3 more ACC wins for that.

Moore has no shot outside of about 5 feet. Hasn't all year. Teams know that and play way off him. That is his biggest offseason work imo. He needs to be putting up alot of shots every day and get comfortable shooting jumpers. He needs both an outside jumper and either a floater or jump stop in the lane. Until he does his value is somewhat limited.

This is why Justin was a borderline 2/3* kid. He has 4* athleticism but more of a 2* game.

Don't want to knock him too hard, but I specifically watched him during the most recent shoot around.

Just my opinion and I am not expert, but I think that it is more than just putting up shots. The coaching will staff will have to completely rebuild his shooting form.

He doesn't use his legs at all in his shot - its almost like he is pushing it toward the goal rather than shoot it.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
It seems like kids spend too much time playing 1v1 (AAU) ball these days and not enough time shooting. That might give you great handles and a good ability to get to the rim, but you need to be able to shoot to be a complete player. We need shooters badly, and it's been that way for years. I wish we had adam smith this year...

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
It seems like kids spend too much time playing 1v1 (AAU) ball these days and not enough time shooting. That might give you great handles and a good ability to get to the rim, but you need to be able to shoot to be a complete player. We need shooters badly, and it's been that way for years. I wish we had adam smith this year...
If you're a point guard there's no reason and no excuse that you can't shoot free throws. It's one of the most important parts of being a point guard

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't blame this on the "AAU influence". I expect every coach he has had in middle school, High school and AAU has been telling him he needed to develop his shooting. At least any good one would. And would provide some resource - instructions, etc. - to help him make it happen. I expect he found he was successful at the level he was playing simply by being more athletic than 98% of the opponents and didn't think he needed to spend the time. Now he does. We will see what happens when he knows what he has to do to be successful and has to put in the time.

My bet is next year his form is transformed and he is good to around 15 feet. We'll see how far he goes from there. To compete for minutes I expect this is a minimum.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well, Justin has LaBarrie working with him, and we all remember what he did with 4* Mfon Udofia.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

His first step is frequently undefended in favor of denying the entry pass. If he had a 10-15 foot pull up jumper that crap would cease.