CFP Discussion

slugboy

Staff member
As of right now (week 4), 10 of the top 10 teams in the AP poll are undefeated. If I count correctly, 18 of the top 25 are undefeated. There are also teams outside the top 25 that are undefeated. The ACC currently has 6 (Louisville, Duke, FSU, Miami, Syracuse, UNC).
The Big12 has Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma.
The B1G has 4 (OSU, Mich, Penn State, Maryland)
Conference USA has Liberty and Jax State (¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
The Mountain West still has Air Force undefeated.
The Pac 12 has USC, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Washington State undefeated.
The SEC has three undefeated teams — UGA, Kentucky, and Missouri — all in the East.

There are no undefeated independents or members of the AAC or MAC

The undefeated teams are the closest to controlling their own destiny. In a 12 team playoff, they would control their own destiny.

This can’t last—a lot of these teams have to play each other—but as of right now the B12, PAC12, and ACC have a shot at the CFP, the B1G has a shot at getting two teams in (again), and the SEC’s best bet is currently UGA. The SEC has never missed the CFP.

In the ACC, FSU has the best shot, but UNC and Miami are possibles. Even if Duke remained undefeated, there’s a chance they wouldn’t get selected.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
When’s the last time Oklahoma, Bama, ND, Clemson, or LSU has not been in the top ten? Whoever wins the SEC is in. Same with the BIG. The rest are fighting for slots 3 and 4.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Fair. Elite is wrong word for what I'm trying to set up. I just see my list of teams most likely to be those in the discussion based on results so far (wins & losses) & their schedules ahead. And that list is a bit different than last few years with resurgence of Pac12 & the regression of the SEC.

Who knows how good UGA is. They haven't lost in a few years.. & you're right haven't looked great this year. If I had to put $$ on it... I'd say UGA fails to make playoffs this year. A regular season stumble & loss in SECCG (if they make it). But I'm not putting money on it.
Last year uga played a down, for them, Alabama, and only had to play one lights out game to beat Ohio State to effectively win the natty. This year’s guide path looks easier to me to get to the playoffs. Unfortunately.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Last year uga played a down, for them, Alabama, and only had to play one lights out game to beat Ohio State to effectively win the natty. This year’s guide path looks easier to me to get to the playoffs. Unfortunately.
You’re right, but I can’t “like” this.
We need an “unfortunately true” or “begrudgingly agree” option. :D

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You’re right, but I can’t “like” this.
We need an “unfortunately true” or “begrudgingly agree” option. :D
“Regretfully agree” sounds about right.

Georgia has the weakest schedule this year I can remember in decades. Every time I look at it to see who might have an upset shot I see no one. Lots of frail and flawed opponents. Maybe somebody will rise up in the SEC championship game to face them but even that is more a hope than a reality.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I remain unconvinced that Duke is that good. I. just don't think they have played anyone beyond Clemson, and Clemson beats themselves, Duke didn't beat them.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
“Regretfully agree” sounds about right.

Georgia has the weakest schedule this year I can remember in decades. Every time I look at it to see who might have an upset shot I see no one. Lots of frail and flawed opponents. Maybe somebody will rise up in the SEC championship game to face them but even that is more a hope than a reality.
IMG_7143.gif

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I remain unconvinced that Duke is that good. I. just don't think they have played anyone beyond Clemson, and Clemson beats themselves, Duke didn't beat them.
I think they are playing strong football. But agree that if they play a team with more horse power they may get exposed. Last Saturday’s Clemson team was better than the one that played Duke and would probably beat them this time, imo.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't see Duke as a Top 10 team but it is pretty easy to see them as a potential Top 25 team. They don't have amazing talent, but they play well together, have an excellent qb, and play smart so they won't beat themselves often.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UGA will get in with 1 loss no matter what.

I think if any of the big 3 from the B1G (Ohio St, Mich, Penn St) have only 1 loss and win the Championship game they are in.
I think a 1 loss PAC team is in given they have multiple games against each other.

Texas, FSU, Miami are in if they are undefeated. A loss and it is likely they are behind some others.
A one loss ND is going to be a significant factor when their only loss would be a 3-pt last second loss to a likely Top 10 team.

Miami to me has the most upward movement of the undefeateds. They still play FSU, Clemson and UNC. L'ville as well. With their 'name' they will move up quickly if they win those games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that you think UGA is elite despite them struggling with South Carolina and playing absolutely no one else.

Also interesting you think the ACC only has one elite team and that it's FSU, despite FSU struggling mightily to eek out wins over BC and Clemson, meanwhile Duke has blasted everyone they've played including Clemson, Miami has also dominated their opponents, and UNC, Syracuse, and Louisville also sit undefeated.
Clemson wins that game with a better kicker. OT doesn't even happen. Clemson fumbled the Duke game away inside the 10 yd line twice and had two missed FG's. Duke played a good game but Clemson beat themselves. Clemson of old would now be undefeated. I have no sympathy for them either. I still have a dislike for them when Dabo ran up over 70 points on us when he didn't have to. I personally think he did that to prove something to Collins. It was unnecessary.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

I think if any of the big 3 from the B1G (Ohio St, Mich, Penn St) have only 1 loss and win the Championship game they are in.
I think a 1 loss PAC team is in given they have multiple games against each other.

Texas, FSU, Miami are in if they are undefeated. A loss and it is likely they are behind some others.
A one loss ND is going to be a significant factor when their only loss would be a 3-pt last second loss to a likely Top 10 team.

Miami to me has the most upward movement of the undefeateds. They still play FSU, Clemson and UNC. L'ville as well. With their 'name' they will move up quickly if they win those games.
All your Miami discussion ain't gonna matter...we gonna bust their chops.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

uga with one loss is certainly interesting. Let's say it's one loss Alabama whose only loss is to undefeated Texas. I think Bama will get the invite in that case.

I agree about the PAC and B1G. I think ND needs for tOSU to be undefeated. I don't see FSU losing and there can only be four teams. And, there's Texas potentially being undefeated.

It is certainly going to be interesting. But, remember, conference championship is the #1 CFP criteria. Followed by strength of schedule. Followed by H2H.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
uga with one loss is certainly interesting. Let's say it's one loss Alabama whose only loss is to undefeated Texas. I think Bama will get the invite in that case.

I agree about the PAC and B1G. I think ND needs for tOSU to be undefeated. I don't see FSU losing and there can only be four teams. And, there's Texas potentially being undefeated.

It is certainly going to be interesting. But, remember, conference championship is the #1 CFP criteria. Followed by strength of schedule. Followed by H2H.
That scenario would be a nightmare for the committee. That’s my main concern about moving to 12. The SEC getting 4-5 teams in and the BIG getting in another 2-3. ND would still have a better route in a Conference. A conference champ could conceivably have multiple losses versus an at large. An at large would need to be in the top 12. A Conference champ doesn’t.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
That scenario would be a nightmare for the committee. That’s my main concern about moving to 12. The SEC getting 4-5 teams in and the BIG getting in another 2-3. ND would still have a better route in a Conference. A conference champ could conceivably have multiple losses versus an at large. An at large would need to be in the top 12. A Conference champ doesn’t.
With 12 teams ND will be in it every year unless they really fall off in recruiting (not likely IMO). Coaches are pretty solid now but haven't proven to be elite yet. They have won 29 straight ACC games BTW. They should handle Duke this Saturday. That loss to OSU likely knocks them out of the playoffs but they would still have a chance if champs of the ACC or this was a 12 team play off year. They still might stumble this year but Hartman really has been a good addition for them.