CFP Discussion

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In 2016 Penn State won the big 10 conference and beat Ohio State on the field and the CFP committee still took Ohio St. when they sent the second best team Ohio St it didn’t end good either….Clemson 31 Ohio St 0 but that’s what happens.
I agree, but that was an odd situation where PSU won the title but had two losses. One that was very ugly. Not a great look for the B1G that year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
In 2016 Penn State won the big 10 conference and beat Ohio State on the field and the CFP committee still took Ohio St. when they sent the second best team Ohio St it didn’t end good either….Clemson 31 Ohio St 0 but that’s what happens.

Penn State was a 2 loss team and tOSUs only loss was to PSU that year. 2 loss conference champions aren't getting in very often.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Penn State was a 2 loss team and tOSUs only loss was to PSU that year. 2 loss conference champions aren't getting in very often.
I thought since Penn St won the conference championship and beat Ohio St on the field they should’ve got in. I don’t like teams getting in the playoffs while sitting home watching other teams fight it out on the field for conference championships. We should always make winning conferences championship important or why play ‘em, just take the top 4 teams and let it go at that. I might be biased this year though lol

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought since Penn St won the conference championship and beat Ohio St on the field they should’ve got in. I don’t like teams getting in the playoffs while sitting home watching other teams fight it out on the field for conference championships. We should always make winning conferences championship important or why play ‘em, just take the top 4 teams and let it go at that. I might be biased this year though lol
Yea, totally agree but I feel that we are in the minority. The top 4 teams should be a beauty contest and not even completely tied to results on the field, hence the push to get Bama in the playoffs last year with 2 losses and not even playing in their conference championship. Bama did get in 1 year as a 1 loss team that didn't play in the SEC championship over a 1 loss OSU who won the BIG.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well, they have fixed that with the 12-team playoff.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The #1 criteria for the CFP is conference championship. I think undefeated FSU would be in ahead of whichever B1G team is not the champ. Even with today's rankings.
Absolutely, that would have them beating LSU, Clemson, UF, duke, Miami, and whoever makes it to the ACC conf title game, that is a strong resume’

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Folks, besides Ga Tech, who is your team you’d like to see in the playoffs?
Just for the fun... at least 1 (or 2) Pac12 teams. The irony would be legendary. ...Definitely hoping for a PAC12 National Champ. Wash, Oregon, Washington St, Utah, USC (preferred order)

To answer your question & using some realistic candidates: PSU (wife alum... although she has zero interest).

Last edited:

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Why? I'm talking about to win their division. How could it be you know already PSU is out in a 3-way tie? I'm too lazy to look up B1G tiebreaker rules... hoping you know. 🙂
If all three are tied in overall record, tied in Big Ten record, and tied in division record (which they will be), we will see an odd tiebreaker. The team with the best Big Ten West opponent record (conference games only) will go to the title game.

I was speaking from the heart there because of what happened in 2016 but there it is I looked it up lol….I don’t trust that CFP committee. They are very biased IMO. Alabama was 5 TD’s better than TCU last year. I always thought the committee was put together to get the 4 best teams and all they want is the 4 best teams with the best record. Teams get better as the year goes and it’s very possible a 2 loss team could be a top 4 team. Just my opinion