CFP Discussion

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I am sick of SEC bias. That conference is now built to dominate the invitations to the postseason playoff the way it is currently structured. The conference, with 16 teams, has not increased the number of conference games they play each season, to my knowledge. It is still 8 games. Therefore, they will not play any more difficult teams than they already play. In return, they will get a guaranteed 4-6 slots in the playoff and a truckload of cash.

Parity, thy name is fiction.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If you go with 16 teams, I would give the four P4 champs two byes and the next four highest rated teams one bye.

Teams 9 thru 16 play each other the first round, teams 5 thru 8 play the first round winners in the second round, and teams 1 thru 4 play the second round winners in the third round. Five weeks covering the second week of December thru the second week of January.
Unless this is sarcasm it makes not sense at all. 16 team tournaments require no byes.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
That's a pretty huge advantage for the popularity contest known as the Top4.
It is a huge advantage for the conference champions for the P4 conferences.
Unless this is sarcasm it makes not sense at all. 16 team tournaments require no byes.
It is not sarcasm. They require no byes, but I am suggesting they get one for winning their conference. The #1 seed should not have to play the #16 team in the first round in my opinion.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
All these thoughts and ultimately money will be why the 12 team won’t last past 6 years. We will be well in to the 20’s and hopefully 30’s within a decade. Then everyone wins. The big boys all get in and the Cinderella’s all get in so all fanbases have HOPE which opens wallets. Of course, the big boys will have to deal with opt outs which will be funny to watch. Then you’ll see them doing a 180 and trying to do away with a playoff and going back the pre-historic method.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
All these thoughts and ultimately money will be why the 12 team won’t last past 6 years. We will be well in to the 20’s and hopefully 30’s within a decade. Then everyone wins. The big boys all get in and the Cinderella’s all get in so all fanbases have HOPE which opens wallets. Of course, the big boys will have to deal with opt outs which will be funny to watch. Then you’ll see them doing a 180 and trying to do away with a playoff and going back the pre-historic method.
The 3 game CFP this year almost drew NFL level viewers. the New Year's eve Alabama-Texas game drew over 27 million viewers. The championship game drew just over 25 million. Turn that into an 11 game schedule (or 15 games) and you will dilute the audience considerably. The beauty of the 3 game CFP is the scarcity of games. Same with bowl games. When there were 4 or 5 bowls every game seemed important enough to watch. Now with over 40 games, none have any importance.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Well you are going to be disappointed. I agree with you but the simple fact is that the SEC and BIG call the shots and everyone else puts out sternly worded emails while dancing to whatever tune Sankey tells them too. Does Jim Phillips exist or is he just a computer simulation?
But they can't do this on their own. It has to be voted on by all of the conferences. What incentive do the conferences outside of the Big Ten and SEC to just roll over? My guess is it will end up being the Power 4 champs, 1 Group of 5 and 7 at large.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The 3 game CFP this year almost drew NFL level viewers. the New Year's eve Alabama-Texas game drew over 27 million viewers. The championship game drew just over 25 million. Turn that into an 11 game schedule (or 15 games) and you will dilute the audience considerably. The beauty of the 3 game CFP is the scarcity of games. Same with bowl games. When there were 4 or 5 bowls every game seemed important enough to watch. Now with over 40 games, none have any importance.
From a fan standpoint, this is true. From a content provider (ESPN or Fox or whoever) business point of view, it's more content to sell ads for. And I expect even a first-round playoff game with a 12-team playoff is likely to have considerably more viewers than a typical game between two unranked teams in the regular season, or even bowl season. There's a reason ESPN owns 17 bowls.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
From a fan standpoint, this is true. From a content provider (ESPN or Fox or whoever) business point of view, it's more content to sell ads for. And I expect even a first-round playoff game with a 12-team playoff is likely to have considerably more viewers than a typical game between two unranked teams in the regular season, or even bowl season. There's a reason ESPN owns 17 bowls.
Very likely. The FF of a 12-team playoff will draw similar viewership. That’s 3 games. However, now add 8 more quarterfinal games at a lower marginal viewership and you get a far greater total income. From a financial standpoint it makes good sense.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Very likely. The FF of a 12-team playoff will draw similar viewership. That’s 3 games. However, now add 8 more quarterfinal games at a lower marginal viewership and you get a far greater total income. From a financial standpoint it makes good sense.
And this is the reason I expect the CFP to keep expanding the number of teams. It's all about the revenue.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
But they can't do this on their own. It has to be voted on by all of the conferences. What incentive do the conferences outside of the Big Ten and SEC to just roll over? My guess is it will end up being the Power 4 champs, 1 Group of 5 and 7 at large.
Have you not been paying attention at all? The other conferences are lap dogs at this point. Did you see what the ACC Commissioner did when his conference was made 2nd tier a month ago? Of course you didn’t see it because he DID nothing. There was nothing to see. The SEC and BIG have won. The war is over. These other conferences will do whatever Sankey tells them to do. This notion about “voting” is absolutely ludicrous. In 11 months from now 2 conferences will have 9 of the 12 spots. And the other conferences won’t say a word.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Have you not been paying attention at all? The other conferences are lap dogs at this point. Did you see what the ACC Commissioner did when his conference was made 2nd tier a month ago? Of course you didn’t see it because he DID nothing. There was nothing to see. The SEC and BIG have won. The war is over. These other conferences will do whatever Sankey tells them to do. This notion about “voting” is absolutely ludicrous. In 11 months from now 2 conferences will have 9 of the 12 spots. And the other conferences won’t say a word.
Yep, when Sankey made disparaging remarks about the other conferences, and gave an ultimatum that the SEC better not be left out of the playoffs, and the ACC commissioner made no public comments, the war was over without a shot being fired.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
yes I have been paying attention. What a load of crap insulting someone who doesn't agree with you. There is absolutely no incentive for the othet conferences to have no assurance thst anyone but SEC and Big Ten gets into a 12 team playoff. Even if they give up 5 slots to conference champs including their champs, that leaves 7 addittonal slots for the SEC and Big Ten to potentially get. That gives them major opportunity.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
yes I have been paying attention. What a load of crap insulting someone who doesn't agree with you. There is absolutely no incentive for the othet conferences to have no assurance thst anyone but SEC and Big Ten gets into a 12 team playoff. Even if they give up 5 slots to conference champs including their champs, that leaves 7 addittonal slots for the SEC and Big Ten to potentially get. That gives them major opportunity.
I didn’t insult anyone. Asking if someone is paying attention is not an insult. If you take it that way then thats your misinterpretation. It is laughable that anyone, as we sit here today, believes that some sort of “vote” will stop the SEC or BIG. When has any individual conference or group of conferences EVER stood firm on anything? I’d love to be wrong, but the ACC Commissioner who is the leader of the 3rd most powerful conference just allowed HIS conference to be relegated while the SEC and BIG ensured they each got 2 teams in (yes, Washington is a a BIG school and Texas is an SEC school). That is what real leadership looks like. No other conference or group of conferences have real leadership. Phillips came from the BIG and one day will go back to the BIG with a bank account full of ACC money. All we as “outsiders” can do is hope the money forces a playoff expansion into the 30’s so our little relegated teams get an invite every once awhile. Until then, it’s the SEC/BIG winter invitational (as we just saw).