CFP Discussion

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
They've done this at least the last few years, and I think this year is the first year we've had land after week 2.
Yeah. It was a lot of fun when CPJ was here. Hoping we'll see more land as Brent Key gets the program solidified.

The person who originally started it handed it off to someone else, who now maintains it and posts it to Reddit r/CFB each week (with discussion). Fun thing to follow.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
How can you win your home territory back?

I guess “never lose a home game”?
If I read the rules properly, your home territory will get passed to the next team that beats the team that took it from you. So it is still possible to get it back if you play someone down the road that has taken control of it.

For example one way for us to get it back would be:
1. NCST beats Louisville next week taking possession of the Atlanta area.
2. NCST wins the next few games keeping possession until they lose to Clemson giving them control.
3. Clemson wins the next game allowing them to hold possession of Atlanta area when they play us.
4. WHEN we beat Clemson we would then take control of Atlanta area again.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
How can you win your home territory back?

I guess “never lose a home game”?
Beat a team that holds your home territory. You lose your land whenever you lose, home or away. So a team could go 11-0 and lose to a team that's 0-11 and that team gets all that land.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know we are in 2023 but in looking ahead to 2024 it is being reported there will be no change in 2024 to the 12-team model (ie. it will be 6 conference champs and 6 at-large).
That could potentially change in 2025, but in 2024 it looks like their will be 4 P4 champs and 2 G5 champs in the CFP along with 6 at-large.

It would take a unanimous vote to change it and there in not unanimity

Sankey continues to push for a 12 at-large CFP, but it doesn't sound like there is any real interest in that outside of Sankey.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d be satisfied to leave the 4 team playoff system and take the top 4 conference champs from the power 5 only. Doing this would make the polls still mean something and also give people something to complain about because one conference champ gets left out. Having controversy keeps folks hungry and excited about the season. Y’all know we love to complain something during college football season 😂 the bowl season would also still be relevant

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Sankey wants more than 2 SEC teams in the playoffs. I think we can assume that SEC and B1G will get 2 each under the current plan.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let's assume it's December 2024 and the CFP invites are out. Who would they be with the AP rankings this week? We know there will be four P4 champs, plus two G5 champs. Using my assumptions the champs would be uga, Michigan, FSU, and Kansas, plus Washington St or Fresno St (from MWC) and Tulane. The top six not conference champs would be Texas, tOSU, Penn St, Wash, USC, Oregon.

Granted, even these rankings aren't likely to hold for this year, much for next. But look at how one conference can dominate the playoffs. Six B1G teams.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Let's assume it's December 2024 and the CFP invites are out. Who would they be with the AP rankings this week? We know there will be four P4 champs, plus two G5 champs. Using my assumptions the champs would be uga, Michigan, FSU, and Kansas, plus Washington St or Fresno St (from MWC) and Tulane. The top six not conference champs would be Texas, tOSU, Penn St, Wash, USC, Oregon.

Granted, even these rankings aren't likely to hold for this year, much for next. But look at how one conference can dominate the playoffs. Six B1G teams.
Conference schedules will sort out things to prevent more than 3 or 4(max) being ranked that high. Last year's field would have had 3xSEC, 3xB1G, 2xB12, 2xP12, 1xACC and Tulane. I would bet this will be typical. No more than 3 teams from one conference represented. Well better said.. no more than 20-25% of a conference represented as we're going to have a P4 next year with more teams per conference.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Jerry Palm does a 'what would the CFP look like if it was 12 teams' every week. Same Top 12 as last week, though a different order for some.
Only 1 current SEC team in it (though TX will be in the SEC next season). ND remains in the bracket despite the OSU loss.

slugboy

Staff member

As of today—current list of 4 for 2023
UGA MICH TEX OSU

FSU on the sidelines

For next season, I think you’re right

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
ND is greedy and think they’re better than everybody else. IMO since you have to have all the teams to make thins thing work and if you’re not in a conference, you can’t make the playoffs. Texas was the same way in the big 12. Screw ND!
Dude, ND is better than everyone else - in positioning their team and getting what they want. I for one am envious that the folks in charge of ND have made the right decisions all along the way especially after watching decades of my school making the wrong decisions along the way. Look what they’ve done. We all are arguing about TV contracts and money and ND went out there by themselves and got their own gazillion dollar TV contract. Then they convinced (what we all see today) was a bunch of simple minded idiots in Greensboro to let them join the conference except in the one sport that matters. Now, with an expanded playoff coming (that even the blind guy saw coming) they will have an annual invite and even if the committee voted to change the rules they would have an offer to join from every conference within 5 seconds. Meanwhile we are just hoping the BIG will pick up the phone and give us a chance to grovel. You may not like that school or their team but you gotta admire their sports acumen.

slugboy

Staff member
Mich/Osu will have at least one loss.
And Penn State—all the B1G unbeatens play each other. So yeah, I understand what you’re saying

OrientalNC asked about TODAY, and they’re top 4 now.

FSU controls their own destiny, and UNC and Miami and maybe even Duke also do.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And Penn State—all the B1G unbeatens play each other. So yeah, I understand what you’re saying

OrientalNC asked about TODAY, and they’re top 4 now.

FSU controls their own destiny, and UNC and Miami and maybe even Duke also do.
The #1 criteria for the CFP is conference championship. I think undefeated FSU would be in ahead of whichever B1G team is not the champ. Even with today's rankings.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The #1 criteria for the CFP is conference championship. I think undefeated FSU would be in ahead of whichever B1G team is not the champ. Even with today's rankings.
The sports media still loves a “good FSU story.” They’ve already got highlight tapes from their last championship cued up for pregame of the playoffs.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
In 2016 Penn State won the big 10 conference and beat Ohio State on the field and the CFP committee still took Ohio St. when they sent the second best team Ohio St it didn’t end good either….Clemson 31 Ohio St 0 but that’s what happens.