CFP Discussion

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Is it time to stick a fork in ND because they’re done? They would still have a shot if they were in the ACC. If a one loss Alabama beats an undefeated Gaggers, do they both go? Or two BIG teams if the loser has only one loss. Way too early, but I hope neither happens. Going to be an interesting ride.
ND was hurt last night. Agree... with no conference championship possible... losing 1 hurts.

There are 3 VERY GOOD Pac12 teams too. USC, WASH, & ORE each look strong. Great QBs on those teams.

slugboy

Staff member
Is it time to stick a fork in ND because they’re done? They would still have a shot if they were in the ACC. If a one loss Alabama beats an undefeated Gaggers, do they both go? Or two BIG teams if the loser has only one loss. Way too early, but I hope neither happens. Going to be an interesting ride.
If you have (unlikely) an undefeated Texas, USC or other PAC 12, OSU or other B1G, and undefeated FSU, who are you going to push out?
It’s only week 4, but if the other conference leaders hold up, and UGA is in the SEC championship undefeated, the SEC needs an undefeated team. I’d expect the championship game SEC refs to learn to call holding and pass interference—against Alabama—in your scenario

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As I just posted, I think ND is 95% out after home loss. They need lots of help from many other teams; many of the elite teams play each other so it's going to be hard for them all to lose (there is only one loser in a game). No conference championship to pump them up, just a lot of NBC $$. And here are the moments to savor:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame is out. Alabama still has a long shot. Still a lot of undefeated teams left that need to lose to clean up the rest of the picture.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It doesn’t seem like the SEC has a dominent team this year, I think the winner of OSU vs. Michigan has to the the favorite to win the Natty

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It doesn’t seem like the SEC has a dominent team this year, I think the winner of OSU vs. Michigan has to the the favorite to win the Natty
I think Georgia has more than enough horses to win it all again, unfortunately. Their schedule guarantees a playoff slot because pollsters, rather than objectively looking at how many calories uga is getting eating up cupcakes, just says it’s SEC so must be the best.

Expanded playoff can’t get here soon enough.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think Georgia has more than enough horses to win it all again, unfortunately. Their schedule guarantees a playoff slot because pollsters, rather than objectively looking at how many calories uga is getting eating up cupcakes, just says it’s SEC so must be the best.

Expanded playoff can’t get here soon enough.
Oh uga will likely make the playoffs (unless bama gets better), i just don’t think they win it all this year

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
bama has a long shot in the sense that idk if they can beat uga and stay undefeated but they at least have an achievable shot at the playoffs

If Bama wins out and ends the season as 12-1 SEC champs, there's more than a very strong possibility they're in the playoff. The odds of the ACC, B1G, B12, and PAC champions all being undefeated are slim.

JacketFan137

Banned
If Bama wins out and ends the season as 12-1 SEC champs, there's more than a very strong possibility they're in the playoff. The odds of the ACC, B1G, B12, and PAC champions all being undefeated are slim.
exactly. i’m not sure they will, especially if they try qbs other than milroe, but they will be in if they win the sec even with 2 losses. especially if texas keeps performing the way they are

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
After 4 weeks... the B1G & PAC12 each have 3 elite quality teams. The BIG12 has 2 such teams. The ACC has 1. SEC has 1.

The champs of B1G & PAC12 will have been through tougher schedules. Likewise, the BIG12 to a little lessor extent.

It seems to me the 2 conferences most likely to be left out right now is one of ACC (FSU) & SEC (UGA)... this assumes they are not undefeated.

It should be very interesting.

ETA... this is shaping up to the year of the QB. Quality QBs are elevating their teams. The SEC is suffering at that position.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
After 4 weeks... the B1G & PAC12 each have 3 elite quality teams. The BIG12 has 2 such teams. The ACC has 1. SEC has 1.

The champs of B1G & PAC12 will have been through tougher schedules. Likewise, the BIG12 to a little lessor extent.

It seems to me the 2 conferences most likely to be left out right now is one of ACC (FSU) & SEC (UGA)... this assumes they are not undefeated.

It should be very interesting.

ETA... this is shaping up to the year of the QB. Quality QBs are elevating their teams. The SEC is suffering at that position.
Interesting that you think UGA is elite despite them struggling with South Carolina and playing absolutely no one else.

Also interesting you think the ACC only has one elite team and that it's FSU, despite FSU struggling mightily to eek out wins over BC and Clemson, meanwhile Duke has blasted everyone they've played including Clemson, Miami has also dominated their opponents, and UNC, Syracuse, and Louisville also sit undefeated.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Too much talk about undefeated teams. My bet is that there are no undefeated teams after conference championships. I have yet to see a dominate team. Not even the dawgs. Best chance for undefeated is Ohio St - Michigan winner but don't even see that.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that you think UGA is elite despite them struggling with South Carolina and playing absolutely no one else.

Also interesting you think the ACC only has one elite team and that it's FSU, despite FSU struggling mightily to eek out wins over BC and Clemson, meanwhile Duke has blasted everyone they've played including Clemson, Miami has also dominated their opponents, and UNC, Syracuse, and Louisville also sit undefeated.
Fair. Elite is wrong word for what I'm trying to set up. I just see my list of teams most likely to be those in the discussion based on results so far (wins & losses) & their schedules ahead. And that list is a bit different than last few years with resurgence of Pac12 & the regression of the SEC.

Who knows how good UGA is. They haven't lost in a few years.. & you're right haven't looked great this year. If I had to put $$ on it... I'd say UGA fails to make playoffs this year. A regular season stumble & loss in SECCG (if they make it). But I'm not putting money on it.