CFP Discussion

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Do you really think an undefeated ND is getting in before an undefeated SEC champ regardless of SoS?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that. An undefeated SEC champ, such as uga, and an undefeated Michigan and Texas are all in. There could be a question about an undefeated FSU vs. an undefeated ND, however. ND would likely have the better SoS in that scenario, having beaten both USC and Ohio State. Regardless, I'd like nothing better than to see an undefeated ND get left out.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Since OSU/Michigan and PSU all play each other there is no chance that more than one of them can come our undefeated. So now you are down to 1 B1G team, 1 Bi12 team, 1 ACC team and 1 PAC 12 team plus ND. Their odds are pretty good as they play Ohio State and USC this year. If ND wins out they are in the CFP. They won't win out though.
You left out the SEC. They will get at least one in.

JacketFan137

Banned
If you had FSU, TX, ND, and Michigan or Penn State undefeated and a 1-loss SEC champ (say UGA loses the SEC championship game), then it’s possible the SEC gets left out.
uga might have enough poll inertia from the last two years to hold their spot

slugboy

Staff member
You really think they would leave out the SEC Champ regardless of losses? In the real world, yes, but not in the one we live in. They might drop to third seed.
The odds of a 1-loss SEC champ competing with 4 undefeated teams for 4 slots for the CFP are microscopic.

But, if it’s a one-loss SEC team against undefeated Penn State, Texas, Notre Dame, and FSU, then my answer is “yes, the SEC stays home”.

I don’t see UGA losing, but if they did, then that’s the tiebreaker.

Again, the odds that happens are tiny. When has it happened?

Also, if one undefeated SEC team is in the title game, and there are four other undefeated teams in the CFP hunt, I can’t imagine what the SEC refs will do in the SEC championship.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Agreed, that's exactly what I said earlier. My point was that ND needs more to happen than just them winning out. Granted, a lot of that is likely to happen, but them winning out alone won't secure them a playoff spot if there are four undefeated conference champions.
If
You left out the SEC. They will get at least one in.
The SEC Champ will for sure make the CFP. No chance all 5 of the Power Conferences have an undefeated champion. My main point is ND will be in the CFP if they go undefeated. They will have beaten both Ohio State and USC, teams currently ranked #5 & #6. Only Penn State plays 2 opponents with a combined better ranking than those 2 ND opponents.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of eyeballs and hence $$$ that will watch if the SEC Champ gets in, so...there is some reason to think the powers that be will lean into any solution that will get them in. It is blatantly obvious that money rules college football, so why not its playoffs as well?

slugboy

Staff member
There are a lot of eyeballs and hence $$$ that will watch if the SEC Champ gets in, so...there is some reason to think the powers that be will lean into any solution that will get them in. It is blatantly obvious that money rules college football, so why not its playoffs as well?
Let’s say Penn State, FSU, Notre Dame, and Texas go undefeated. Let’s say UGA and LSU have one loss each, and UGA’s loss is to LSU.

Or, just for fun, say UGA’s only loss is to us.

Which undefeated team are you sending home? Texas and Notre Dame are arguably more popular than any SEC team. Penn State will bring all the B1G viewers. FSU is going to have plenty of viewers.

The story is 4 undefeated teams with a top schedule in the CFP for the first time. That’s ratings.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
Let’s say Penn State, FSU, Notre Dame, and Texas go undefeated. Let’s say UGA and LSU have one loss each, and UGA’s loss is to LSU.

Which undefeated team are you sending home? Texas and Notre Dame are arguably more popular than any SEC team. Penn State will bring all the B1G viewers. FSU is going to have plenty of viewers.

The story is 4 undefeated teams with a top schedule in the CFP for the first time. That’s ratings.
I don't know who stays home but in that scenario the SEC champ and 2 time defending national champ will be in the playoffs.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

From your mouth to God’s ears.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

The only way uga loses to LSU is in the SECCG. So in that scenario I could see two undefeated teams getting left out. Has the SEC champion been left out ever? What about the B1G champ? Even with a loss. Texas and FSU and ND would moan and cry, but those champs, plus uga, would be in the playoffs. uga is not going to be the #1 team all season, lose a close game to LSU, then be left out. It ain't gonna happen.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
The only way uga loses to LSU is in the SECCG. So in that scenario I could see two undefeated teams getting left out. Has the SEC champion been left out ever? What about the B1G champ? Even with a loss. Texas and FSU and ND would moan and cry, but those champs, plus uga, would be in the playoffs. uga is not going to be the #1 team all season, lose a close game to LSU, then be left out. It ain't gonna happen.
I disagree. If the leg humpers are badly beaten by LSU in the $EC Championship, it's happened before, and LSU has 2 or more losses, uga can get left out by losing to the strongest team on their roster. Tennessee would need to lose to them by 7 or less and then stumble later in their schedule, but it is possible a 1 loss uga team is left out in the cold. LOVE IT.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Interesting wrinkle here. If ESPN was making the CFP selections, no question that a one-loss SEC team would get in. But ESPN isn't, the CFP committee chooses. Eyeballs and compelling matchups will rule. You could argue that, given the national reach of the CFP, and factoring in potential viewer fatigue with uga in the playoffs, ND or some other undefeated team would get the nod over uga.
Not saying that this would happen, but it is an interesting angle.
Edit to add: uga-TCU was one of the least-watched championships.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Regarding UGAG as well as Bama, from the little I've seem so far, I'm not sure either of them have the QB this year.

Although UGAG's schedule being weak, ranked 63rd, might make up for that. If they get by Tennessee they may be home free for the CFP ...

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The likelihood there are 0 unbeatens is way greater than 4 unbeatens. It's early but this year is shaping up to be VERY interesting. I think we're going to be lamenting the fact a 12 team playoff is next year & not this year.

I think no SEC team making the field is definitely in play.

Texas (& by extension B12 champ) has boxed out Bama. UGA as a 1 loss SEC runner up is out (schedule is so weak compared to top end P5s). Pac12 is strong. An unbeaten or 1 loss ACC champ is in (FSU MIA or UNC). B1G is new SEC with 1 in for sure & 2 quite likely.

Then there is ND with a strong schedule. ND has a shot at beating one or two P5 conference champs in OSU & USC.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Notre dame can take care of the Buckeyes in two weeks.
If Penn St or Michigan runs the table, that would be a problem for them.
I don’t see anyone from BIG coming out unscathed.
As of today, an undefeated ND with a best win over OSU clearly pushes out an undefeated FSU with a best win over LSU.